n400 - speeding ticket

Old Jul 30th 2019, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default n400 - speeding ticket

Hi everyone,
I am putting together my n400 application for citizenship. I was issued a speeding ticket in 2014. One of the questions on the n400 application asks " Have you ever been arrested, cited...... ". Does a speeding ticket count as a citation? I am thinking it probably does and if that's the case I will need to answer yes to this question. However, I would like to be more confident about this without paying for a legal consultation! Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 4:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: n400 - speeding ticket

Yes, it does count as a citation. If the fine was under $500 you don't need to include any paperwork.

Rene
Old Jul 30th 2019, 5:33 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly does. I had 2, and declared and included paperwork on both. Not strictly required (the paperwork that is) but I felt I should include it anyway since they were both paid and I had receipts.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your replies.
I certainly will include it and am 99% sure the fine was under $500.
I cannot track the ticket down and have lost any documentation I had, so i hope I do not get asked to provide evidence that I paid it. I have tried everything I can think of to track it down but none of the police/sheriffs departments can locate it nor can the court or county clerks office. DMV record also doesn't show it.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 11:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Check with the motor vehicle department and/or your auto insurance carrier. You were charged, pled guilty, paid the fine therefore your insurance was increased for the violations and a note was made to the motor vehicle department.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Check with the motor vehicle department and/or your auto insurance carrier. You were charged, pled guilty, paid the fine therefore your insurance was increased for the violations and a note was made to the motor vehicle department.
Not necessarily.

In Georgia, it is not reported unless it is more than 15 over the limit. In fact, a police officer or deputy can't even issue a ticket unless you are doing 11 or more over the posted limit. State Troopers, on the other hand have the ability to issue a ticket for as little as one MPH over, although in reality, they won't unless there are other factors involved.

Many speed traps are set up and if you are caught, it is always for 17 over (unless you're really stupid!). You will then get asked if you have points on your license and if you haven't the ticket will be reduced to less than 15 over. The fine, however, will still be at the higher rate. They do this so that the victim, er, speeder, will not contest the ticket and pay the fine willingly. This adds t ocounty funds without the State getting suspicious that too many tickets are being issued and quotas are being used (highly illegal!),

Contacting your insurance company could bring you an unnecessary increase as there is no requirement to report a ticket for less than 15 over.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 4:52 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Really. You don't have to prove you got a ticket. You just have to not deny it. #overrthinking
Old Jul 31st 2019, 11:16 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Many speed traps are set up and if you are caught, it is always for 17 over (unless you're really stupid!). You will then get asked if you have points on your license and if you haven't the ticket will be reduced to less than 15 over. The fine, however, will still be at the higher rate. They do this so that the victim, er, speeder, will not contest the ticket and pay the fine willingly. This adds t ocounty funds without the State getting suspicious that too many tickets are being issued and quotas are being used (highly illegal!),
I received 2 tickets in a 6 month period, one 72/55 (there's your 17 over) and the ticket was $126, the second was 62/55 by the State Patrol in basically the same area and that ticket was $125.

Unless of course you're saying that $125 fine is the higher rate - which for Banks/Franklin County I somewhat doubt but could be wrong.

Just FYI - my insurance has also not increased one penny in the 18 months (2 points will drop off in September for the first offence) since the tickets.

Really. You don't have to prove you got a ticket. You just have to not deny it.
Ticking yes is an active admission and is required, I don't think the OP is overthinking at all. We both know that errors during N400 can have serious consequences down the line if it comes to light. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by civilservant; Jul 31st 2019 at 11:18 am.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 2:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Not necessarily.

In Georgia, it is not reported unless it is more than 15 over the limit. In fact, a police officer or deputy can't even issue a ticket unless you are doing 11 or more over the posted limit. State Troopers, on the other hand have the ability to issue a ticket for as little as one MPH over, although in reality, they won't unless there are other factors involved.

Contacting your insurance company could bring you an unnecessary increase as there is no requirement to report a ticket for less than 15 over.
Wow, thanks for that bit of information on how Georgia operates.

I have only had 2 speeding tickets in my 50 plus years of driving. One approximately 40 years ago and the second 23 years ago on the weekend I first met my now husband. We had chosen Rutland, Vermont to meet up in for the first time as it is 1/2 way point for both of us. On the return trip home I got caught in Vermont in an area where the change of speed notice was placed about 15 feet off the side of the road. Right, speed trap for tourists. I paid the fine; Vermont sent the record to New York State MVD where it was picked up by GEICO and my insurance rate went up. I attended the class to have the points removed from my license and but my insurance rate didn't go down.

Old Jul 31st 2019, 2:23 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bullettoothtony
Thank you for your replies.
I certainly will include it and am 99% sure the fine was under $500.
I cannot track the ticket down and have lost any documentation I had, so i hope I do not get asked to provide evidence that I paid it. I have tried everything I can think of to track it down but none of the police/sheriffs departments can locate it nor can the court or county clerks office. DMV record also doesn't show it.
assuming this was not paid in cash, can you get the credit card statement or record of the Check / ACH etc to verify.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

A follow up question - do you answer yes to this question if you manage to get the ticket dismissed at trial or trial by written declaration?
Old Aug 1st 2019, 3:24 pm
Often not so civil...

Yes in my opinion. Regardless of disposition, if you received a ticket, you were cited.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 6:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, Yes.

Rene