Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Question - Evidence of Stepchild

N400 Question - Evidence of Stepchild

Old Dec 11th 2020, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute
Default N400 Question - Evidence of Stepchild

Hello - not been on the forum for a LONG time, but beginning my naturalization journey. The online application process seems pretty straightforward, but I have a question about supplying evidence related to my stepson. Specifically, the evidence upload page asks for documents to prove parental relationship to the child declared on the application, and I am stuck here.

I married my (USC) wife in 2012, this marriage was used as my basis to become a LPR in 2014, which was all fine. She has a son, who obviously, via marriage becomes my stepson - I put his information on the N400 application where asked for, but this interestingly does not ask whether this is the son of my USC spouse (although this is implied by me stating he is a 'stepchild' on the application) OR whether he is already a USC (which he obviously is). I am using my being a LPR for greater than 5 years as my basis of eligibility.

So, the evidence page cites examples as including:

Birth certificate - I do not see how this would help as my name is not on it, as I am not his biological father
Court order naming you as the child’s parent - does not exist, as I am a stepfather via marriage to his mother
Final adoption certificate or decree - Again, does not exist for the same reason as above.

So, what can I provide OR, is it 'safe' to provide nothing as I have declared him as my stepchild on the application?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Dec 11th 2020, 3:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Question - Evidence of Stepchild

The USCIS does not care about the citizenship of your stepson. It has no bearing on your eligibility to naturalize. Since the N-400 is used for both early eligibility based on marriage to a USC or by those naturalizing after 5 years as a PR, some of the questions will not pertain to you. However, that said, include the stepson's birth certificate as it will have his mother's name on it and you are married to her. USCIS might be a government agency but they are not so dense that they can't add 2 and 2 and get 4.
Old Dec 11th 2020, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Question - Evidence of Stepchild

Thank you - thats an excellent point about his birth certificate having my wifes name on it!! Had not thought of that!