N400 Question

Old Feb 17th 2016, 11:45 am
Just Joined

MB2712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N400 Question

I am very recently widowed. I have been a resident (marriage to a US Citizen) since 2006. My husband was a citizen since birth. We were very happily married until his recent death. My husband always pressed for me to apply for my citizenship but for one reason and another I didn't.

I now want to go ahead and apply for citizenship, but I am unsure on how to complete section 8 of the form. Is my deceased husband my current spouse or is he a prior spouse ?

I would appreciate some guidance, I have in the past always completed my own immigration forms and I would like to do the N400 myself.

Many thanks in advance
Old Feb 17th 2016, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Question

As you are widowed and free to remarry, he is a prior spouse.

However, it makes no difference to your application as you appear to meet all the requirements to qualify for citizenship without relying on the marriage to confirm.

The forms aren't that difficult and we are happy to help where we can. Most of us have direct experience (including myself) of the naturalization process.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much. I appreciate your prompt response.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Always glad to help. Especially a fellow Georgian.

SW? Would that be around Bainbridge, or not that far down?
Old Feb 17th 2016, 4:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB2712
I am very recently widowed. .....
I am sorry to hear of your bereavement.

The citizenship process is unlike any other step of the immigration process because the US government actually wants you to pass/ succeed. That said, the process isn't difficult and with 9+ years of residence your qualification to naturalize is highly unlikely to be in doubt.

As Guindalf said, you'll get all the help and support you need here on BE.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Always glad to help. Especially a fellow Georgian.

SW? Would that be around Bainbridge, or not that far down?
Guindalf, I am not too far from Bainbridge (about 40 minutes or so). I live in Terrell County, work in Albany and my husband was originally from the big old city of Newton in Baker County. I am very familiar with Bainbridge. Are you in SW Georgia?

Last edited by MB2712; Feb 17th 2016 at 6:42 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am sorry to hear of your bereavement.

The citizenship process is unlike any other step of the immigration process because the US government actually wants you to pass/ succeed. That said, the process isn't difficult and with 9+ years of residence your qualification to naturalize is highly unlikely to be in doubt.

As Guindalf said, you'll get all the help and support you need here on BE.
Thank you so much Pulaski. I appreciate your kindness.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf, I am not too far from Bainbridge (about 40 minutes or so). I live in Terrell County, work in Albany and my husband was originally from the big old city of Newton in Baker County. I am very familiar with Bainbridge. Are you in SW Georgia?
No, I'm in NE Georgia, near Cornelia. But in a previous job, I installed and maintained software in Decatur, Terrell and the massive Baker Counties as well as Morgan, Lee and a few others. Always used to stay in Albany when I could as it at least had a few restaurants! I would mostly stay in the Best Western behind Johnny Carino's (my fave chain Italian!).
Old Feb 17th 2016, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Small world! My husbands favourite restaurant used to be Johnny Carinos. I remember how upset he was when it closed.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Small world! My husbands favourite restaurant used to be Johnny Carinos. I remember how upset he was when it closed.
Many locations closed prior to the bankruptcy filing in March, 2014, and most of the rest closed subsequently. As far as I can tell the only ones that remain are one in eastern Tennessee, and three in Michigan, in the greater Detroit area.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bummer! I didn't know it closed!!

I met the BEST waitress I've EVER seen in that place. I know she'll be doing well somewhere else.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Bummer! I didn't know it closed!! ....

I met the BEST waitress I've EVER seen in that place. I know she'll be doing well somewhere else.
Neither did I until a couple of weeks ago when Mrs P told me that one we used to dine at occasionally, had closed. It was much better than Olive Garden which, of course, isn't saying much.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 11:02 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I am very recently widowed. I have been a resident (marriage to a US Citizen) since 2006. My husband was a citizen since birth. We were very happily married until his recent death. My husband always pressed for me to apply for my citizenship but for one reason and another I didn't.

I now want to go ahead and apply for citizenship, but I am unsure on how to complete section 8 of the form. Is my deceased husband my current spouse or is he a prior spouse ?

I would appreciate some guidance, I have in the past always completed my own immigration forms and I would like to do the N400 myself.

Many thanks in advance
When I did my N400 a couple of years ago, I was divorced from my USC wife. The first question asked at interview was do you have copy of the divorce certificate. I did not. I had not seen the requirement in the instructions. (Not sure if it is there). For this reason I recommend you include a copy of the death cert with the application and bring the original and a copy to the interview.

It was "just for the record", since the divorce had no bearing on my eligibility. It meant I did not get approved on the spot, but my interviewer forgot to ask me the test questions, and called me an hour later. I was able to go back same day, having picked up my divorce cert. Did the test and got into the next available ceremony.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Thank you Rich, I will certainly enclose a copy of the death certificate and take the original and a copy with me.

Thank you everyone for your help. I truly appreciate it.