Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Naturalisation Interview questions

N400 Naturalisation Interview questions

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:49 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Naturalisation Interview questions

Originally Posted by Rete
A comprehensive package then. You have the 2008 filing, right?
You betcha. With the prospect of the George W. Patio Furniture Tax Rebate, it was submitted in January.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

My interview is tomorrow morning! (NYC)

Quick question: what happens if you get one of the civics questions wrong? Is it all over? Or do they just ask you another?

Oh, and how many can I expect to be asked?

thanks!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
My interview is tomorrow morning! (NYC)

Quick question: what happens if you get one of the civics questions wrong? Is it all over? Or do they just ask you another?

Oh, and how many can I expect to be asked?

thanks!
I believe they ask 10 to begin with. If you get some wrong, they just keep asking different ones until you get enough right to pass. I think you need to get 10 right, they just keep asking until you get 10 right (from what I understand).

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

6 right from 10 was what I heard! (And up to 20 of the 96 questions can be asked). So I'm sure that someone will give us the truth... If there is such an animal...
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Amadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really nice

That's right, you need to get 6 out of 10 questions correctly. I was asked 5 questions, 6 out of which I answered correctly At least this is what I interviewer wrote in my file.

I have my Oath ceremony tomorrow. Does anyone know how long it might take?
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

thank you for the speedy replies. I'm leaving for NYC now - wish me luck!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amadeus
That's right, you need to get 6 out of 10 questions correctly.
I was asked only 4 questions... all of which I got correct:

How many branches are there to the government?
Who was President during the Civil War?
What is the opening paragraph of the Constitution called?
Who is Kentucky’s current Governor?

I have my Oath ceremony tomorrow. Does anyone know how long it might take?
Mine took about 2 hours. It would have been a bit quicker if the DAR hadn't given a "short" talk!

Ian
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default My interview experience - N400 - NYC

So I thought I would let you know how it all went....

I get there half an hour before my appointment time, and hand in my letter. They give me a note saying they are interviewing more people per day now, so to expect extensive delays. My heart sinks! The man next to me says he has been there for over two hours already.

So imagine my suprise when five minutes after my appointment time, they call my name. I am seven and a half months pregnant, so I don't know if that helped me, or why I got called so soon, but I was happy either way.

The man interviewing me was nice. Seemed irritated by his computer, and realised the writing and reading of the sentence was a bit ridiculous for me! He actually took the paper away from me while I was reading the sentence and told me it wasn't necessary to read any more!

They asked me 6 questions from the civics books.

Then the next bit didn't go as I expected....

Despite the fact the sheet the sent me, said I could bring an IRS transcript or copies of my tax returns, the man said NYC was demanding the IRS transcripts. He said he also needed 3 bank/mortgage/insurance/utility statements for each of the last three years. I didn't know this.

So he gave me a date about 7 weeks from yesterday to come back with all this. I said, since I was pregnant, that wasn't really going to be very practical. I pointed out, I could easily have brought an IRS transcript had I known I NEEDED one. So I asked if I could just mail it all to him, instead of coming down to the office a week prior to my due date.

He said yes, no problem and gave me his name etc so I can mail it all directly to him. He said everything else was fine with my application, and it would be approved once he received these documents.

So I was a little frustrated that this isn't all over, but relieved that I didn't have to wait for hours, and that I can just mail it all, as soon as I get the IRS transcripts.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Amadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really niceAmadeus is just really nice

Hi, Britchick:

Yes, as I posted earlier, I was asked for utility bills/bank statements. While I had sent IRS transcripts for 04-06 along with my N400, a copy of our tax return for 07 sufficed. I had to write a request to be approved/explanation of why I had so little to show. It did the trick and today I've become a citizen of the US.

Were you by chance interviewed by J. Jaimangal?
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi, no it was someone else.

I'm not too worried as I can easily provide what they need. Just slightly irritated me when the letter they sent me said an IRS transcript OR copies of the returns. If I knew I HAD to have the transcript, I would have got one. Bit naughty of them in my opinion, but I guess they can ask for whatever they want, and I understand that too.

I am pleased that I can mail all this in though, it saves a lot of time and hasstle for me.

Congratulations btw!
Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:38 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Hi, no it was someone else.

I'm not too worried as I can easily provide what they need. Just slightly irritated me when the letter they sent me said an IRS transcript OR copies of the returns. If I knew I HAD to have the transcript, I would have got one. Bit naughty of them in my opinion, but I guess they can ask for whatever they want, and I understand that too.

I am pleased that I can mail all this in though, it saves a lot of time and hasstle for me.

Congratulations btw!
I don't understand this. In the Guide to Naturalization it says that if you are required to bring any documentation other than originals of the things you supplied with your N-400 application, then they will be listed on your appointment letter.

Was this the case with you? I think some of the interviewing officers are making things up as they go along !!!

alex.