N400 Interview - Tax Returns?

Old Jan 7th 2019, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

onetimeonly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N400 Interview - Tax Returns?

Hey Everyone,

Do you still need to take 5 years of tax returns to the N400 interview? I can't access them from (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript) right now, it says it's not available. I hope this is temporary and not because of the shutdown.

Also, on this 2013 article on the USCIS website (https://www.uscis.gov/archive/blog/2...p-what-to-know) I see it tells you to bring the tax returns. However at the top it states "This page contains information that is no longer current but remains on our site for reference purposes", so I don't know what's current and what isn't. On the current page (https://my.uscis.gov/citizenship/what_to_expect) it makes no mention of tax returns at all though.

I have my own personal print outs from the tax preparer for the last 10+ years and I have zero tax issues, but I heard you need copies from the IRS and not just the forms you sent in? I'm just confused on the whole matter at the moment. Can anyone confirm?
Old Jan 7th 2019, 12:30 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Interview - Tax Returns?

I have copies of the returns as printed from the IRS computers and mailed to me ready to come with me to the interview. As far as I am aware, they still ask you to bring them.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 1:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Your copy from the accountant / tax preparer is fine. We had a combination of both for my husband's naturalization interview.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

I brought the last five years 1040s complete with schedules and other numbered forms attached with me all printed out. Stacks of paper and copies of everything submitted with my N-400. The only thing the officer wanted to see was my green card. But would you rather take the chance and not bring it? I have a feeling if you had been flagged by the IRS they might want to dig deeper, but clean taxes and all accepted by the IRS my feeling is they don't bother with them at all in most cases...
Old Jan 7th 2019, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Anecdotal only!

I prepped a whole bunch of stuff. Went overboard.
He never even glanced at it.
During the i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶v̶i̶e̶w̶ conversation, when my wife contradicted me on a minor point, he just smiled and said I can see you're genuine.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Became a citizen in May 2018 in Boston, after 5 years on a greencard (based on residency not marriage). The application process listed exactly what we had to bring to the interview, one was green card (I cannot recall that else! but it did not list tax records as a requirement) We took nothing other than what was listed, we were asked for nothing other than what was listed.
I know, as others have reported, a good idea to take them, but I wonder has anyone on here been asked (recently, like the last few years), in the formal letter of what to bring, to bring them and has anyway ever been asked to produce them when not previously asked for them? I have a hunch they are no longer needed....
Old Jan 8th 2019, 4:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I took out my binder for my husband's N-400 submission just to be sure and we included the 3 years past tax transcripts with his submission. Admittedly this was many years ago, but the premise was that filing returns so good character.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 5:36 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

My [personal] immigration attorney advised me to file based on 5 years residence, but the online N-400 still asked for details of my marriage, not sure if it was required or optional but I also uploaded 3 years worth of IRS transcripts when I filled the N400 online, and I intend to add the 2018 return once accepted by the IRS.
Old Jan 12th 2019, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

robUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the rough

I uploaded 3 years IRS Transcripts as well as 3 years self prepared taxes along with other required documents based on the 5 year residency when applying online. These were also taken to the interview as hard copies, but were never requested.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Same here. When I naturalized in 2008, I brought copies of everything listed, and everything else I though might be relevant. The interviewer didn't ask for any of it except my green card.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

While getting this ready I just noticed my tax return from last year had a typo on the address, the street's correct but there's an extra number in there. O_O .... hope that's not an issue.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 2:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onetimeonly
While getting this ready I just noticed my tax return from last year had a typo on the address, the street's correct but there's an extra number in there. O_O .... hope that's not an issue.
It won't be.

Rene
Old Jan 15th 2019, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Is it possible to take too much stuff? I'm looking at my binder right now and it's bulging with all the stuff I've put it in it. The official letter only asks for a few things (the letter, green card, selective service, passport), and that's it. Won't it look weird to go in with this massive binder bulging with paper? When any of you guys did your naturalization interview what did you take with you in terms of paperwork and to carry it?
Old Jan 15th 2019, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to take too much stuff? I'm looking at my binder right now and it's bulging with all the stuff I've put it in it. The official letter only asks for a few things (the letter, green card, selective service, passport), and that's it. Won't it look weird to go in with this massive binder bulging with paper? When any of you guys did your naturalization interview what did you take with you in terms of paperwork and to carry it?
I took only the things listed in the letter. Why take stuff they don't ask for?
Old Jan 15th 2019, 1:16 pm
Concierge

Can't see any reason why you would have a 'bulging binder'. Are you planning on bringing every single scrap of paper that has dealt with your immigration and life. Bring what is in the letter send you. A few years tax transcripts will fit in a file folder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.