Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Interview next week - questions

N400 Interview next week - questions

Old May 7th 2019, 2:29 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default N400 Interview next week - questions

Can anyone who has themselves been for an N400 interview in the last 12 months (given that things change) advise on why they did for the below:

- If you applied online, did you add your most tax transcript on the online portal before the interview or just take it with you? I already have 3 uploaded from the initial application.

- Were you asked about international travel subsequent to filling?, I have printed out the 5 year I94 record from online, I only have 4 new trips since applying in August and none are material in terms of days, all around a week or less.

- Could you take in your mobile phone? I was able to at the biometrics appointment.

- What did you wear, I was planning on just my normal “business casual” pants and an “english” style fitted business shirt. Should I try and dress more “American” with a less fitted shirt and pants etc?
Old May 7th 2019, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Interview next week - questions

Originally Posted by tht
Can anyone who has themselves been for an N400 interview in the last 12 months (given that things change) advise on why they did for the below:

- If you applied online, did you add your most tax transcript on the online portal before the interview or just take it with you? I already have 3 uploaded from the initial application.

- Were you asked about international travel subsequent to filling?, I have printed out the 5 year I94 record from online, I only have 4 new trips since applying in August and none are material in terms of days, all around a week or less.

- Could you take in your mobile phone? I was able to at the biometrics appointment.

- What did you wear, I was planning on just my normal “business casual” pants and an “english” style fitted business shirt. Should I try and dress more “American” with a less fitted shirt and pants etc?
I took my last 3 years' tax returns but they were not needed. The only thing I was asked for was my Green Card.

I was asked about travel. I had one additional trip since submitting the application. He made a note but didn't even ask what it was for. I volunteered it was to the UK.

Yes. Took mobile phone in with me.

I'm not sure it matters what you wear but I wore business casual. Others there were in Jeans.

ETA: As both myself and my wife had the same time booked, but separate interviews, I was concerned that we only had one copy of the tax returns. That was when they said we only needed the green card.

Last edited by chawkins99; May 7th 2019 at 2:42 pm.
Old May 7th 2019, 2:52 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I took my last 3 years' tax returns but they were not needed. The only thing I was asked for was my Green Card.

I was asked about travel. I had one additional trip since submitting the application. He made a note but didn't even ask what it was for. I volunteered it was to the UK.

Yes. Took mobile phone in with me.

I'm not sure it matters what you wear but I wore business casual. Others there were in Jeans.

ETA: As both myself and my wife had the same time booked, but separate interviews, I was concerned that we only had one copy of the tax returns. That was when they said we only needed the green card.
Great thanks for the input, when you say tax returns do you mean the downloads from the IRS site that generate when you give immigration as the reason? I have the “Account Transcript” - 1 pager showing I am current and the “Tax Return Transcript” which is 7 pages, but wanted to avoid printing the TurboTax generate forms that are around 90 pages each... I also have the email showing my 2 state returns were accepted.
Old May 7th 2019, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

Great thanks for the input, when you say tax returns do you mean the downloads from the IRS site that generate when you give immigration as the reason? I have the “Account Transcript” - 1 pager showing I am current and the “Tax Return Transcript” which is 7 pages, but wanted to avoid printing the TurboTax generate forms that are around 90 pages each... I also have the email showing my 2 state returns were accepted.
I just printed the TurboTax summary for each year which is about 4 pages per year. Didn't bother with all the detail pages. Probably more for you as I don't have Florida state returns. We also had our UK passports but not needed.
Old May 7th 2019, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

1. I did both, partly because I amended 2016 returns. I started saying I amended my returns offering to show the updated forms but the interview waved me off. They just need to know you are an honest taxpayer. Typical salary earners won't even be questioned further, only someone with periods of unemployed history or self employment are likely to be asked more.

2. Yes, I carried a copy of my updated CBP I-94 data from the CBP website, which the interviewer was delighted to have, and used it to update my information.

3. I was told to put it in airplane mode or turn it off, while being called in .

4. You are really overthinking this :-)
Old May 8th 2019, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't provide tax returns online or in person and wasn't asked for them at any point in the process.

I was asked about international travel and had a print-out of my trips in the same format as on the N-400 form. The interviewer seemed relieved and carefully tapped all of them into the system, even though I wasn't anywhere close to being short of days.

It was no phone use in the waiting room, but they weren't taken away. I read my dead-tree book. Note: at the oath ceremony, we had to check phones at the entrance to the courthouse.

Originally Posted by sun_burn
4. You are really overthinking this :-)
+1
Old May 8th 2019, 3:54 am
tht

Originally Posted by retzie
I didn't provide tax returns online or in person and wasn't asked for them at any point in the process.

I was asked about international travel and had a print-out of my trips in the same format as on the N-400 form. The interviewer seemed relieved and carefully tapped all of them into the system, even though I wasn't anywhere close to being short of days.

It was no phone use in the waiting room, but they weren't taken away. I read my dead-tree book. Note: at the oath ceremony, we had to check phones at the entrance to the courthouse.

+1
most probably, but prefer to be over prepared rather than under. As an aside I was told by a lawyer who has clients go to the office I am going to to to expect an unpleasant experience based on feedback he has gotten recently, in any case will report back next week.
Old May 8th 2019, 4:16 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

1. I never provided them with tax transcripts at all and they weren't asked for though I was filing based on 5 year rule rather than 3.
2. They looked at my passport and asked if I'd been anywhere outside the US but I haven't left since I got here 12 years ago so I just said no and that was that.
3. I was told to put my phone in silent mode but that was all. One person did get told if they wanted to speak on their phone they had to go outside though.
4. I just wore khakis and a T-shirt, looking at the other people in the waiting room I wouldn't say I was under dressed. I could wear a tailor made suit and still look like a hobo so I tend dress in what I feel comfortable in rather than what I think will impress people.
Old May 8th 2019, 9:46 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I had my interview last week, and will be sworn in on the 17th.

- If you applied online, did you add your most tax transcript on the online portal before the interview or just take it with you? I already have 3 uploaded from the initial application

I took 2018 with me, they took a copy of it and added it to the file.

​​​​​​​- Were you asked about international travel subsequent to filling?, I have printed out the 5 year I94 record from online, I only have 4 new trips since applying in August and none are material in terms of days, all around a week or less.
Yes, and you will be again at the oath ceremony. You will have to list them at the interview, I would suggest you bring the paperwork so that you can accurately recall the dates.

​​​​​​​- Could you take in your mobile phone? I was able to at the biometrics appointment.
Yes

​​​​​​​- What did you wear, I was planning on just my normal “business casual” pants and an “english” style fitted business shirt. Should I try and dress more “American” with a less fitted shirt and pants etc?
A collared shirt and khaki business pants. Plenty of people were there in jeans and t-shirts.
Old May 8th 2019, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

My husband and I became US citizens in the past few months. I had a very easy interview, the whole thing lasted 13 minutes. I never uploaded or brought tax information with me. I did travel once after applying I told him about it and he made a note but I didn't bring any proof. I had my phone but turned the ringer off. My husband's interview lasted almost an hour, the interviewer went over every question on his original application! I wore a dress and my husband wore a nice shirt and dress pants.

Old May 14th 2019, 1:55 pm
tht

Was outside at 7:30am, there was already a line of 15-20 people, lawyers were let in first and then everyone went through security. Phones were allowed in the waiting room, but had to be shut off for the interview.

8am interview time, called around 8:10am, sworn in, ID and fingerprints done by interviewing officer, then 6 civics questions (all easy ones), read a sentence on iPad, wrote “we vote for president in November” on the iPad. Then he went through the application, added new travel, took a scan of my 2018 tax return, complimented me on getting a refund from CT.

There was missing information that had not carried through from the online application he added (about marriage), I said I had seen that on the copy I downloaded and he said he had got an email about the system issue a few weeks ago.

He did update my nationality to that of my birth (the N400 guidance asks for the one on your most recent passport, which was different for me).

Then eSigned on the iPad 3 times for as added travel, oath, and then certificate details. Given a 1 pager with recommendation for approval and advised to wait for an oath ceremony date letter in the waiting room at 8:30am.

Was more pleasant than an immigration lawyer I deal with had advise it may be... we talked about travel and some other small talk. I had pictures of my family, wedding, honeymoon, anniversary, house etc which he looked through.

Got 2 txts to say the case had been updated about 5 mins later.

Another uodate email to say the Oath Ceremony letter was sent at 9:32am.

Got ceremony letter in hand at 9:54

Scheduled for first week of June.

Old May 14th 2019, 2:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, tht. Not much longer and it will all be over and done with. Make a photocopy of the front and back of your green card for your files as you will be returning it at the time of the oath ceremony. Nice to have a copy in your files on the off chance it is ever needed.

Once sworn it, register to vote, go to SS with your naturalization certificate and have your status upgraded on your records and get your passport. You will need to submit the original certificate in order to get your passport. They will return it to you.
Old May 14th 2019, 2:54 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

go to SS with your naturalization certificate and have your status upgraded on your records.
Give it at least 10 days before you do this for their systems to reflect your naturalization. Depending on your state and if they have any non-citizen restrictions, you may want to inform the DMV too.
Old May 14th 2019, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by civilservant
Give it at least 10 days before you do this for their systems to reflect your naturalization. Depending on your state and if they have any non-citizen restrictions, you may want to inform the DMV too.
I did the passport first because of the SS wait time. Passport came back after 2 weeks and used that as proof of citizenship for SS. Took a few more days to get the certificate back from the passport office.

I figured a passport to be a higher priority than Social Security. Didn't have to do drivers license as mine was unrestricted anyway.

We filled out the voter registration at the oath ceremony.
Old May 14th 2019, 9:27 pm
tht

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I did the passport first because of the SS wait time. Passport came back after 2 weeks and used that as proof of citizenship for SS. Took a few more days to get the certificate back from the passport office.

I figured a passport to be a higher priority than Social Security. Didn't have to do drivers license as mine was unrestricted anyway.

We filled out the voter registration at the oath ceremony.
No rush on the SS card since it already had no restrictions on it, guessing they just need it for any claims, it’s on the list, passport is top priority so I am not grounded. They gave me the the application form today and said I can completed and submit right there after the ceremony, I got pictures on my way home. Since My CT lisence is already “Real ID”, I can update the DMV in 2021 when I renew it unless there is some legal responsibility to do it sooner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.