Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Interview next week - questions

N400 Interview next week - questions

Old Jul 17th 2019, 5:55 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Interview next week - questions

I wasn't told that at my ceremony, so I have a bunch of 'illegal' in various places in case the house burned down.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 6:04 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Is scanning it ok to do? They made sure to inform us at the oath that copying and even laminating the certificate was considered illegal unless it was for the purpose of getting a passport or other federal use. I'm not sure what use having a copy would have if by simply presenting the copy you're showing you broke the law.
They did not tell us any of that at my ceremony and have not looked in to it. The staff accepting the passport application gave me a copy when they took it as well.

Added:
USCIS explain how to get certified copies:
https://www.uscis.gov/tools/how-do-i...naturalization
"You will need to submit your original certificate of naturalization or citizenship AND a photocopy when applying for your U.S. passport. USCIS does not prohibit photocopies of certificates when providing proof of U.S. citizenship to
the Department of State."

The law is here:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1426

Last edited by tht; Jul 17th 2019 at 7:09 pm. Reason: to add
Old Jul 17th 2019, 7:08 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the people in Nashville are giving out duff information then. Google doesn't seem to have a clear answer on it as although people are saying it's stamped on the certificate (passport office has mine so I can't check) others are saying that the law the stamp refers to has expired.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 7:18 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Maybe the people in Nashville are giving out duff information then. Google doesn't seem to have a clear answer on it as although people are saying it's stamped on the certificate (passport office has mine so I can't check) others are saying that the law the stamp refers to has expired.
Printed on mine in red it says:
"ALTERATION OR MISUSE OF THIS DOCUMENT IS
A FEDERAL OFFENSE AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW"

So my read is copying to give to others to use for illegal purposes is not allowed, copying it to get a passport etc is.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm concerned, the certificate serves no purpose once you have a US passport. The passport proves your citizenship.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 10:39 pm
tht

Originally Posted by chawkins99
As far as I'm concerned, the certificate serves no purpose once you have a US passport. The passport proves your citizenship.
That's definitely not how I see it, for a start passports expire (mostly after 5-10 years depending on your age (although I have had ones valid for longer which caused issues with ESTA in the early days), you could "lose" a citizenship and still be in possession of an old old or even "in date" passport for that former citizenship. The N-550 has additional information, e.g. the date you became a Citizen, a passport will not show that. The N-550 also includes the A number that then links back to yoru USCIS file.

I am sure there are other purposes but off the top of my head getting a new US passport if I lose my current 1 would probably be an important purpose. Or at a pinch using the N-550 to get back in to the US, although having seen the hard time people get doing that it would be a last resort....
Old Jul 18th 2019, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
That's definitely not how I see it, for a start passports expire (mostly after 5-10 years depending on your age (although I have had ones valid for longer which caused issues with ESTA in the early days), you could "lose" a citizenship and still be in possession of an old old or even "in date" passport for that former citizenship. The N-550 has additional information, e.g. the date you became a Citizen, a passport will not show that. The N-550 also includes the A number that then links back to yoru USCIS file.

I am sure there are other purposes but off the top of my head getting a new US passport if I lose my current 1 would probably be an important purpose. Or at a pinch using the N-550 to get back in to the US, although having seen the hard time people get doing that it would be a last resort....
Don't get me wrong. I still have my certificate in a safe place but don't ever expect to need it again.

The only ways to 'lose' citizenship is to have it revoked or give it up voluntarily. In which case, you may have a N-550 and a US passport, neither of which are now valid.

Once you have a passport, you are in the system as a US citizen.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 2:11 pm
tht

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Don't get me wrong. I still have my certificate in a safe place but don't ever expect to need it again.

The only ways to 'lose' citizenship is to have it revoked or give it up voluntarily. In which case, you may have a N-550 and a US passport, neither of which are now valid.

Once you have a passport, you are in the system as a US citizen.
For US citizenship maybe, for others, acquiring a new citizenship can cause you to lose your existing one, e.g. India, or in my case Germany (which meant I had to get a time limited approval called "Beibehaltung" prior to becoming a USC to become a USC). One may argue that choosing to acquire another citizenship knowing you will lose anther is essentially giving up the former voluntarily, but many may want to acquire a new Citizenship without loosing their current one ('s).

Any document is only a snapshot of a status at the time it was issued, statuses can and do change, most official documents can not be changed without invalidation.

On a practical level you are right, the US passport is probably the only proof of citizenship you will need in normal day to day life.

Old Jul 18th 2019, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
You don't need your certificate in order to replace a lost US passport.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 5:02 pm
tht

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
You don't need your certificate in order to replace a lost US passport.
I stand corrected, I thought if filled a DS-64 for a lost passport you had to file a DS-11 for a new passport which then needs proof of citizenship, vs. the DS-82 where you send the old passport with the renewal. Or are you saying you just pay the $150 for the file search?

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-evidence.html
Old Jul 18th 2019, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

Can you pay by cash/card for passport application or did you need to bring a check?
Old Jul 18th 2019, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I stand corrected, I thought if filled a DS-64 for a lost passport you had to file a DS-11 for a new passport which then needs proof of citizenship, vs. the DS-82 where you send the old passport with the renewal. Or are you saying you just pay the $150 for the file search?

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-evidence.html
Apologies, I now think you are correct. I thought that they relied on the previous record that they had already issued a passport, but it looks like I am wrong.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 8:43 pm
tht

Originally Posted by scottyvisa
Can you pay by cash/card for passport application or did you need to bring a check?
I took my checkbook. They gave me an application form and instruction form at the interview with all the details. I printed my application forms online anyway so it was typed, you need 1 check for the passport and another for the acceptance facility. This was a library / pop-up, I assume if you went to a post office or other “full time” acceptance facilities they would accept more payment methods.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

I took my checkbook. They gave me an application form and instruction form at the interview with all the details. I printed my application forms online anyway so it was typed, you need 1 check for the passport and another for the acceptance facility. This was a library / pop-up, I assume if you went to a post office or other “full time” acceptance facilities they would accept more payment methods.
Thanks!
Old Jul 19th 2019, 1:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht

Yes, the USPS will accept your debit card and/or credit card as payment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.