Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 interview next April 10 and divorce dismissed

N400 interview next April 10 and divorce dismissed

Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:16 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: n400 stipulation of discontinuation of divorce

p,

My opinion is that you should hire an immigration lawyer to attend your interview with you. The lawyer's function will be to give you a sharp jab to the ribs when you open your mouth and start to shoot yourself in the nuts.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by peppino
Hi,

After filing for N400 last jan my wife (usc) filed for divorce on Jan 2008;
Now we reconciled and we agreed to sign a STIPULATION of discontinuance: this will (the law office say) withdraw the divorce originally filed:

Is this true: a petition of discontinuation will withdraw
For good the divorce paper?

In this case should I explain the all story to the immigration officer that will interview me?

Pls share your opinion
Thank you
Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

After filing for N400 last jan my wife (usc) filed for divorce on Jan 2008;
Now we reconciled and we agreed to sign a STIPULATION of discontinuance: this will (the law office say) withdraw the divorce originally filed:

Is this true: a petition of discontinuation will withdraw
For good the divorce paper?

In this case should I explain the all story to the immigration officer that will interview me?

I know this may be a divorce question matter but I've nowhere else to ask;
Some people here already know my case;

Pls share your opinion
Thank you
Why do you not believe the law office that you or your wife are paying?

IMHO you should accept the legal advice that you have been given, which says that the divorce that never happened is a non event.
On the basis of this advice you can happily tell the IO that you are in a continuing marital union with the same spouse and proceed from there.

Otherwise you can pull out your can of worms and toss it over to the IO and see what happens.

The choice is yours.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Are you crazy? Why do you insist on making things hard for yourself?

Ian
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

peppino is an unknown quantity at this point

Hire an attorney??

How many people do that on a N400?

Rene do you think I need an attorney?

Pls advice
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:40 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hire an attorney??

Pls advice
Hi:

That is entirely your own decision. By the way, the procedures regarding dissolution of marriage is a matter of STATE law. And every state is different. By the way, I am showing my state of residence since California abolished "divorce" in 1968.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 12:41 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If they have similar issues... the smart ones will hire an attorney.

Ian
Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If they have similar issues... the smart ones will hire an attorney.

Ian
So, no attorney then.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

What do you mean "so no attorney then". Are you trying to send a message??
Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: N400 interview next April 10 and divorce dismissed

Yes
Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

So why don't you say it directly to me:

what are you trying to say?
Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

You have been given shed loads of advice here which doesn't seem to suit you, you have been given advice from your "law office" which doesn't seem to suit you, so why bother with anything more?

You say your wife will withdraw the divorce proceedings, your law office says that negates evrything, I'm hard pressed to see your problem.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Well darling Norry

You may not know the meaning of try to be a PERMANENT RESIdENT in USA: it took me 5 years. Think I don't triple check all the little things re my citizenship? Yes man I do!

I don't know who you are and where you live but you sound to be less smart than I am if you keep reading - like you said - the same questions and doubts over and over
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Well darling NorrySweetie It's Norri

You may not know the meaning of try to be a PERMANENT RESIdENT in USA: it took me 5 years. Think I don't triple check all the little things re my citizenship? Yes man I do!

I don't know who you are and where you live but you sound to be less smart than I am if you keep reading - like you said - the same questions and doubts over and over
I know exactly what it means, you asked you have been answered, you don't like it.
Shit happens.
Get an attorney that you trust.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hire an attorney??

Pls advice
Hiring an attorney to accompany you to the N-400 interview is not that absurd. People do it. If you are concerned about your issues, you can at least have a 1-time consultation with an immigration attorney who can either set your mind at ease, or you can hire him to attend the interview with you.

The choice is really up to you, how comfortable and confident you feel about things. At this point, you sound confused.

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2009, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The choice is really up to you, how comfortable and confident you feel about things. At this point, you sound confused.

Rene
Rene,
You are a master of understament.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.