Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Interview Approval & Oath Ceremony Question

N400 Interview Approval & Oath Ceremony Question

Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:47 pm
British in Wisconsin

Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool N400 Interview Approval & Oath Ceremony Question

Hi there,

On Monday I had my citizenship interview in Milwaukee, WI. Turned out that I was nervous for no reason. The whole thing was over in about 10 minutes - rather than the 2 hours suggestion on the NOA letter. The civics test was 10 multiple choice written questions. (I got them all right.) Then we just went through my N400 form. The officer didn't even want to see the proof that my husband is an American citizen. So yes, I passed.

Today, only 3 days later, I got my oath appointment in the mail. The ceremony is next Thursday - a week today. So that's much sooner than I expetced.

There's a problem though - my husband is going to be out of state that day for work. I *really* want him to be there. Plus he's the one who always drives us there. (I can drive, but daren't brave inner city Milwaukee.) So I'd really like to rechedule, but is that really a good idea? Will the USCIS be understanding to the explanation of "My husband can't make it and I really want him there and he's my transportation." ? (Phrased in a more official way.)

I'm also not sure what to do with our almost 10 month old daughter. Do people bring babies to these things? It's in a courthouse. Will there be other children there do you think?

I don't mind waiting a couple of months, though I was hoping to get an American passport before or soon after my British one expires in early July.

Thanks for your input.

~ Jennie
Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

curiousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud of
Default Re: N400 Interview Approval & Oath Ceremony Question

I dont the answer to your question,
but would you mind sharing your timeline?
thanks
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:08 pm
British in Wisconsin

Originally Posted by curiousmelon
but would you mind sharing your timeline?
thanks
Sure.

N-400 Citizenship Timeline
(Nebraska Service Center. Milwaukee Local Office.)

August 26th 2005: Mailed out the N-400.

August 29th 2005: Nebraska Service Center received my application

September 12th 2005: Received Notice of Action: "You will be notified of the date and place of your interview when you have been scheduled by the local INS office. You should expect to be notified within 90 days of this notice."

October 3rd 2005: Received a Notice of Action, with an appointment for my fingerprinting at the local USCIS office.

October 31st 2005: Went to local USCIS office for fingerprinting.

Novemeber 30th 2005: Received another appointment for fingerprinting. (Don't remember the date on that one.) Called the USCIS customer line to tell them I've already been fingerprinted and to ask for advice. They suggested attending this second fingerprinting appointment. Wrote a letter to the Milwaukee office explaining the situation but received no reply.

February 22nd 2006: Went to be fingerprinted again.
I didn't attend the scheduled appointment. I was hoping that there was some kind of mistake and I'd get an interview appointment in the mail. Eventually we gave up and went back to Milwaukee before the cut off date in my letter. It turned out that my first fingerprints were rejected by the FBI. My letter had a red ball point "R" on it. (I wish there would have been an explanation, as then I would have gone back for fingerprints earlier.)

March 8th 2006: Received a letter with my interview appointment.

April 17th 2006: Attended my citizenship interview & passed.

April 20th 2006: Received a letter with my oath ceremony appointment: April 27th.

So yeah, my fingerprints being rejected added a couple of months extra time.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

curiousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud of

Thanks,
wow, thats pretty quick,
and it would even quicker if your fingerprint process was faster.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can always ask to reschedule. The problem lies in that issue that your letter might not be registered with the appropriate department/person and you might be marked as a "no show" on the first oath date. you don't want that to happen. Can you drive into Milwaukee tomorrow to change it in person? If not, I would strongly suggest you attend the ceremony and bring a friend or relative with you to videotape the ceremony for you. You and your husband can watch it together. Yes, people brought children to the NYC Federal Courthouse for Jim's oath ceremony.

Originally Posted by Jememennie
Hi there,

On Monday I had my citizenship interview in Milwaukee, WI. Turned out that I was nervous for no reason. The whole thing was over in about 10 minutes - rather than the 2 hours suggestion on the NOA letter. The civics test was 10 multiple choice written questions. (I got them all right.) Then we just went through my N400 form. The officer didn't even want to see the proof that my husband is an American citizen. So yes, I passed.

Today, only 3 days later, I got my oath appointment in the mail. The ceremony is next Thursday - a week today. So that's much sooner than I expetced.

There's a problem though - my husband is going to be out of state that day for work. I *really* want him to be there. Plus he's the one who always drives us there. (I can drive, but daren't brave inner city Milwaukee.) So I'd really like to rechedule, but is that really a good idea? Will the USCIS be understanding to the explanation of "My husband can't make it and I really want him there and he's my transportation." ? (Phrased in a more official way.)

I'm also not sure what to do with our almost 10 month old daughter. Do people bring babies to these things? It's in a courthouse. Will there be other children there do you think?

I don't mind waiting a couple of months, though I was hoping to get an American passport before or soon after my British one expires in early July.

Thanks for your input.

~ Jennie
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks for your input.

~ Jennie
Congrats.
When I went to my Oath Ceremony, there were people there with baby's. Obviously, baby's cry, need changing, could be a problem, especially if no one with you. With regard to rescheduling, I would try NOT to. You may wait days, months or who knows for a new date. If your husband is unable to take you, find a friend, or leave baby with a friend. I would not reschedule. If all else fails, I would take the baby & go by CAB or bus/train. Just my opinion.
Reg. Frank R.

Last edited by frrussre; Apr 20th 2006 at 10:26 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:32 pm
British in Wisconsin

Originally Posted by Rete
The problem lies in that issue that your letter might not be registered with the appropriate department/person and you might be marked as a "no show" on the first oath date.
Hmm, that is a good point. I was really surprised to get the letter today and have the interview be a week today. That's really not much notice.

Going down to Milwaukee in person before next week isn't really an option - it's not a drive I'd make myself with our daughter or without. Plus it's a long drive.

So I guess we're stuck with risking a reschedule or having my father in law take me and my mother in law watch our daughter. It sounds like it might be too long of a day for her to come.

Would my case end up abandonned if I was considered a "no show"?

I wish the local office had a phone number.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, that is a good point. I was really surprised to get the letter today and have the interview be a week today. That's really not much notice.

Going down to Milwaukee in person before next week isn't really an option - it's not a drive I'd make myself with our daughter or without. Plus it's a long drive.

So I guess we're stuck with risking a reschedule or having my father in law take me and my mother in law watch our daughter. It sounds like it might be too long of a day for her to come.

Would my case end up abandonned if I was considered a "no show"?

I wish the local office had a phone number.
Sounds like you have a solution, Father In Law takes you, mother In law baby sits or comes with & baby sits. Sounds perfect to me. As Rete said, bring a video camera, if you have one. To me, its more important, to get to Oath ceremony then husband not being there. My wife came with me, to Queens NY, we did not even get to sit together. Guests sat at the back.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:56 am
British in Wisconsin

Originally Posted by frrussre
My wife came with me, to Queens NY, we did not even get to sit together. Guests sat at the back.
Reg. Frank R.
I'm still not sure what to do. My husband checked with my in-laws and they're willing to take me & watch my daughter - probably at home rather than at the courthouse.

I'm just depressed at the thought of my husband not getting to share the "grand finale" day, after over 5 years of K-1, AOS, I-751, N-400 paperwork. It's supposed to be a day of celebration and it feels weird to think of him not being there. He called the courthouse, but they couldn't tell us how often the ceremonies are.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm still not sure what to do. My husband checked with my in-laws and they're willing to take me & watch my daughter - probably at home rather than at the courthouse.

I'm just depressed at the thought of my husband not getting to share the "grand finale" day, after over 5 years of K-1, AOS, I-751, N-400 paperwork. It's supposed to be a day of celebration and it feels weird to think of him not being there. He called the courthouse, but they couldn't tell us how often the ceremonies are.
Yes, know your sad, but alternative is more waiting & more ugh!!!!!!!!!!!

Take lots of photo's.
Breaka leg.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:59 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks for your input.

~ Jennie
Could your husband reschedule or send someone else in his place for this out of town stuff so he can come with you to your ceremony?

I had my citizenship ceremony in Feb and there were babies and toddlers present at the ceremony so I'm sure your 10 mth old would be welcome.

BTW, I don't understand your concern about your UK passport expiring. You can still hold UK citizenship and holds American citizenship simultaneously.

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Apr 21st 2006 at 3:02 am.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

Good gracious - THIS is making you depressed? You're STILL not sure what to do?

Have a friend go with you to attend to the baby or hire a sitter in advance.

By all means though - go to the date they sent you and dont put it off any further. I can think of 1/2 a dozen ways the can mess up your rescheduling. It is NOT worth the hassle. I can think of too many people right off that would give their right arm to be in your shoes.

Count your blessings and move forward.

Old Apr 21st 2006, 3:48 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Jennie, I just wanted to say congratulations on everything! As someone who first looked at your website nearly four years ago as a K1 resource, I find it so comforting to see you having got as far as you have. Good going!!

~ Jenney

ps. I agree with the others -- either have your husband reschedule his trip or just bite the bullet and go to the ceremony without him. I can certainly understand why you'd want him there, but this is the LAST HURDLE!!! You can always celebrate together later -- and every time you leave the US and have to come back with NO IMMIGRATION HASSLES!
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:15 pm
British in Wisconsin

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
BTW, I don't understand your concern about your UK passport expiring. You can still hold UK citizenship and holds American citizenship simultaneously.
Yeah, I know you can have both passports. I was planning on renewing my British passport and getting a US one too. Then I checked on the fees and don't really fancy paying close to $200 for a British one, plus $100 for an American one all at once. So I'll probably just get an American one and save the extra $200.

Could your husband reschedule or send someone else in his place for this out of town stuff so he can come with you to your ceremony?
Unfortunately not. It's training for his job which was arranged months ago and he has flights, hotel, rental car all set up, as paid for by his work and it's non refundable.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your feelings about hubby being there ;-) So if you send in the letter today about rescheduling, do so by express mail and clearly mark on the outside of the envelope Naturalization Oath Rescheduling Request. Then as soon as possible, after you have made an Infopass appointment drive down and personally request the new oath date. You want to be sure the letter is not ignored and if it was not received and processed in time you want to be sure that you have alerted them to the fact that you have not abandoned your quest for naturalization.

Whichever you decide to do, congratulations once again.

Rete

Yeah, I know you can have both passports. I was planning on renewing my British passport and getting a US one too. Then I checked on the fees and don't really fancy paying close to $200 for a British one, plus $100 for an American one all at once. So I'll probably just get an American one and save the extra $200.

Unfortunately not. It's training for his job which was arranged months ago and he has flights, hotel, rental car all set up, as paid for by his work and it's non refundable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.