Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Interview - 3 Hour Drive Away

N400 Interview - 3 Hour Drive Away

Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all
Default N400 Interview - 3 Hour Drive Away

My wife received her N400 interview appointment - in Latham NY which is a 3 hour drive away from us.

I know a few people who had their interview in Brooklyn NY which is much closer to us (am just on the NY / CT border), maybe 40 minutes or so. Is there any way to request an appointment at a specific interview location? Am guessing no, and will have to make the 3 hour journey?
Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Interview - 3 Hour Drive Away

Was not aware that there is a USCIS field office in Brooklyn for interviews. I know of many who have been sent to Brooklyn for their oath ceremony. My husband went to the USCIS field office at Federal Plaza in lower Manhattan for his naturalization interview.

Your location tag line says "Stamford, CT". Curious why she was not sent to a CT location. She should have been sent to the Hartford, CT office.

You can always try to call the 1-800 number and ask about changing the location. If they are willing to do so, it will mean that she will be delaying the process.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 16th 2018 at 2:43 pm. Reason: Corrected as per Nutmegger's post ... thanks nutty
Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Was not aware that there is a USCIS field office in Brooklyn for interviews. I know of many who have been sent to Brooklyn for their oath ceremony. My husband went to the USCIS field office at Federal Plaza in lower Manhattan for his naturalization interview.

Your location tag line says "Stamford, CT". Curious why she was not sent to a CT location. There are offices in New Haven and I believe Norwalk she could have been sent to.

You can always try to call the 1-800 number and ask about changing the location. If they are willing to do so, it will mean that she will be delaying the process.

Although oath ceremonies take place in different locations around CT, I think that all interviews take place in Hartford. It is indeed rather strange that the OP's wife has been directed to an NYS location.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for correcting that for me, Nutmegger. I edited my original post.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

Ok so sounds like a phone call is in order, although as mentioned Rete trying to weigh up the benefit of being able to do something closer to home vs delaying the whole process.

Her appointment is 9.45am which makes it even worse as need to hit the road 6.30am to ensure she gets there on time!
Old Mar 16th 2018, 3:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EricK
Ok so sounds like a phone call is in order, although as mentioned Rete trying to weigh up the benefit of being able to do something closer to home vs delaying the whole process.

Her appointment is 9.45am which makes it even worse as need to hit the road 6.30am to ensure she gets there on time!

I guess it is a possibility that they are so backed up in Hartford that they are trying to spread the load. As Hartford is probably a couple of hours in either direction for you, you may want to bite the bullet and just get it over with!
Old Mar 16th 2018, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to both of you for the feedback.