Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400, I90.... what to do in this situation

N400, I90.... what to do in this situation

Old Sep 14th 2018, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

onetimeonly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: N400, I90.... what to do in this situation

Weird... just received my DMV notice, and I'm eligible to renew by mail/internet.... okay then.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 1:20 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sun_burn
Yes, technically it is true that while the I-551 stamp is sufficient proof of both identity and authorization to work for the purposes of filing a Form I-9, one can also use a combination of a driver's license and an unrestricted SSN card, too.

However, there's a problem here - the driver's license for someone on a non-citizen status has a validity tied to the expiry date of the authorization document, i.e. the I-94, green card or whatever.

I know this from personal experience, though different states differ in exactly how this is handled (my DL expiry date was for the last birthday preceding expiry of green card). So, OP may also face expiry of his DL around the time his green card expires, and he would necessarily require the I-551 stamp on his passport to extend that. That's why I recommended just getting the I-551 stamp.
As is oft repeated on this forum the green card is "merely" documentary proof of the status, not the status itself. Your green card can expire without your status expiring so once you are an LPR your drivers license should not expire with the card, though as you say each state has its own rules for such things.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sun_burn
Everyone's next license will be a Real ID. Procedures vary by state, but it's reasonable to assume that it means you need to present an actual identity unless their systems already recognize you as having permanent status, though I don't know if that includes LPR status (which can be lost fairly easily compared to citizenship) .
Not everbody's next license will be REAL ID. Most states continue to issue non-REAL ID licenses. People who are renewing their existing non-REAL ID license from before by mail, will generally get a non-REAL ID license. Also, foreigners in legal status but whose visa has expired won't be able to get REAL ID licenses, and must get non-REAL ID licenses. And some states won't even offer REAL ID driver's licenses (their regular driver's licenses will all be non-REAL ID).
Old Sep 15th 2018, 1:22 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
As is oft repeated on this forum the green card is "merely" documentary proof of the status, not the status itself. Your green card can expire without your status expiring so once you are an LPR your drivers license should not expire with the card, though as you say each state has its own rules for such things.
It is not even really that because the opposite is also true, somone could have a un-expired Green Card and could have abandoned their permanent residence in a number of different ways e.g. moving abroad permanently, or declaring themselves as a non immigrant on their US tax return...
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

I'm sure this is a non issue. I had to file police report today for my work due to a break-in we had and the officer took my dl number and name. It's the first time I've interacted with the police at all. I don't need to mention this at the interview right?
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onetimeonly
I'm sure this is a non issue. I had to file police report today for my work due to a break-in we had and the officer took my dl number and name. It's the first time I've interacted with the police at all. I don't need to mention this at the interview right?
Unless you got arrested... I would say no.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
Unless you got arrested... I would say no.
No, I just reported it for my work.
I've spoke to them once before thinking about it. Anyway, figured as much.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 1:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, you don't have to mention it. You filed a report. You weren't arrested.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Update: I just became a US citizen!!! .............. Question though, does anyone know what happens if you have a pending I-90 application? It's still on my online account as pending, but surely they should cancel it soon?