Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N400 Good Moral Character - Timeframe?

N400 Good Moral Character - Timeframe?

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N400 Good Moral Character - Timeframe?

'ello,

For the N400 section "Good Moral Character", is it asking for just the time that I have been in the US (10 years as PR) or is the timeframe really 'ever'.

Cheers,
David.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 Good Moral Character - Timeframe?

I was wondering this exact thing, along with the question about if you have ever commited a crime for which you have not been caught - do they expect people to say yes or no? I should imagine minor things like speeding nearly everyone has done at some point.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:45 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

They expect people to answer truthfully.
Originally Posted by civilservant
I was wondering this exact thing, along with the question about if you have ever commited a crime for which you have not been caught - do they expect people to say yes or no?
My wife answered 'No' to questions 15 and 18-21 of Part 10, Section D, and 'Yes' to questions 16 and 17. The explanation for the 'Yes' was a speeding ticket. Looking back at it today I think one could argue that she should have answered 'Yes' to question 18 as well. In any case, full disclosure of minor traffic violations isn't going to hurt one's application.
Originally Posted by civilservant
I should imagine minor things like speeding nearly everyone has done at some point.
Regards, JEff
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datcha
For the N400 section "Good Moral Character", is it asking for just the time that I have been in the US (10 years as PR) or is the timeframe really 'ever'.
It's referring to the most recent 5-year period (3 years if you're applying based on marriage to a USC).

Ian
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's referring to the most recent 5-year period (3 years if you're applying based on marriage to a USC).

Ian
Thanks, Ian!!