British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   N400 - Faster to electronic file? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/n400-faster-electronic-file-927882/)

pejp Sep 13th 2019 4:59 pm

N400 - Faster to electronic file?

I'm about to file my N400, and have been googling around to learn about the process. I filled out the form, and it looks pretty straightforward. My question is....I've read a few things where people have said that electronic filing seems to be quicker. I don't think stats are available, so most of it seems anecdotal. Anyone know if there is any truth in that at all? I'm planning on doing it electronically anyway (I filled out the form before I realised it was possible to file electronically), but was just wondering if anyone here has any particular insight on the timeline.

Rete Sep 13th 2019 5:39 pm

Re: N400 - Faster to electronic file?

Several people have filed electronically. Is it faster to get your biometrics? Faster to your interview date? Faster to the oath ceremony? Does it really matter? The ones that have gone quickly are those that are in areas where processing seems quicker than the national average. Guess it comes done to the USCIS gods as to how fast your processing is going to be.

petitefrancaise Sep 13th 2019 5:48 pm

in Texas:
my daughter filed electronically in April and today became a USC!
My son sent his off via mail in early May and has his interview next month. So from my end, it makes no difference whether you file electronically or not.

pejp Sep 13th 2019 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12735105)
Several people have filed electronically. Is it faster to get your biometrics? Faster to your interview date? Faster to the oath ceremony? Does it really matter? The ones that have gone quickly are those that are in areas where processing seems quicker than the national average. Guess it comes done to the USCIS gods as to how fast your processing is going to be.

No, it doesn't matter. I thought I made that pretty clear when i said that I'd be doing it that way either way. Was just out of interest.

tht Sep 13th 2019 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by pejp (Post 12735083)
I'm about to file my N400, and have been googling around to learn about the process. I filled out the form, and it looks pretty straightforward. My question is....I've read a few things where people have said that electronic filing seems to be quicker. I don't think stats are available, so most of it seems anecdotal. Anyone know if there is any truth in that at all? I'm planning on doing it electronically anyway (I filled out the form before I realised it was possible to file electronically), but was just wondering if anyone here has any particular insight on the timeline.

Of course it’s quicker, it goes electronically vs by post or courier, but I doubt that 2-3 days saving is a material difference in the total length of the process. I did online, some of the information did not carry through, my interviewer just typed it in on the day and said that they had had an email confirming there was an issue. As others have noted the office it goes to will likely impact the timeline the most.

civilservant Sep 14th 2019 8:07 am

It's only quicker in the sense that it gets to USCIS quicker. That's it. My electronically filed application was processed at the same rate as paper applicants that were received the same day.

pejp Sep 14th 2019 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12735300)
It's only quicker in the sense that it gets to USCIS quicker. That's it. My electronically filed application was processed at the same rate as paper applicants that were received the same day.

Yeah, thought so. As I say, was just out of curiosity, I don't really care how long it takes. Am doing mine next week. Always said I'd just stick with GC, but I have kids on the way, so I guess I should do it.

Rete Sep 15th 2019 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by pejp (Post 12735554)
Yeah, thought so. As I say, was just out of curiosity, I don't really care how long it takes. Am doing mine next week. Always said I'd just stick with GC, but I have kids on the way, so I guess I should do it.

Congratulations! Twins???