N-600K

Old Nov 4th 2018, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

SaraB25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question N-600K

Hi, I wondered if anyone can help me. I am a US citizen who has lived in the UK for most of my life, however my Father is a US citizen and lives in the united states. I am wanting to be closer to my father and other family members and move back to the states. My husband is in the visa process and the moment and had his I-130 approved he is now waiting on his interview. I have 2 children age 9 and 6 who were both born in the UK. I am trying to find out how i take them to live in the US permanently. It looks at thought i can complete the N-600K form and the will be interviewed when in the States but unsure how i go about getting them there. Has anyone else been in the same situation or can help me.
Thanks
Old Nov 4th 2018, 3:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-600K

Sounds like you are unable to pass citizenship directly to them?

if that's the case, they also need immigrant visas. Once they use the visas to enter the USA, they become US citizens.

someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2018, 4:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your approach, Rene. Yes, she can do the 600K for the two children but they have remain UK residents until the 600K is adjudicated which appears to take months if not a year or more. If mom and dad are going to be living in the US, then the fastest avenue to travel would be obtaining immediate relative visas for them. Damn shame that she filed for her husband already and didn't do anything about the children and/or their visas. Now they will be out of sync and dad will have a visa which must be used within six months of his medical while the kids are still waiting for their visas. One solution would be for her husband to enter the US with his visa and have the green card sent to his father-in-law's address while he returns to the UK to wait for the children to obtain their visas.

This is the N-600K thread the OP should be reading to get a better understanding of the process and timelines Anyone done N600K recently?

Last edited by Rete; Nov 4th 2018 at 4:20 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2018, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,
Thank you all for your comments. It is a great help!
Would my children not be able to enter the US on a ESTA then apply for naturalization under Seection 322. It’s all very consfusing. I looked into doing the I-130 for my children but read that if I’m a us citizen by birth and either myself (which I haven’t) or grandparent have lived in us over the age of 14 for more than 5 years they can apply for citizenship and shouldn’t do the immigrat visa route?

Feel like im going round in circles.
Old Nov 4th 2018, 4:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

But as you have found out that information is not all the information. Yes, they can obtain US citizenship by grandfathering through your father. But the process is not instantaneous.

Have you consulted with an immigration attorney for the pros and cons? It might cost a few dollars or pounds for a phone consultation but well worth the money spent.

Your children can enter the US under the VWP (esta is only permission to use the vwp) but it does not give them the right to live in the US.
Old Nov 4th 2018, 4:36 pm
Concierge

Quote:
You should use Form N-600K to apply for the naturalization of a child under the age of 18 who regularly resides outside the United States. The form is also used to issue a Certificate of Citizenship for the child.

NOTE: The information provided in this document only applies if you have not automatically acquired U.S. citizenship at birth or acquired U.S. citizenship after birth under Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) section 320. Please refer to Form N-600 FAQ for additional information about becoming a U.S. citizen under INA section 320.

Eligibility

A child who was born outside the United States and who regularly resides outside the United States may have a Form N-600K filed on his or her behalf by a U.S. citizen parent (or if the parent died within the last five years, by a U.S. citizen grandparent or U.S. citizen legal guardian). To be eligible for U.S. citizenship the child must:
  1. Have at least one parent is a U.S. citizen, whether by birth or naturalization;
  2. Be under 18 years of age;
  3. Be residing outside the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent;
  4. Be temporarily present in the United States in accordance with lawful admission to complete the Form N-600K process and is maintaining that lawful status; and
  5. Have a U.S. citizen parent who has been physically present in the United States or American Samoa or Swains Island for no less than five years. At least two of these years were after the U.S. citizen parent’s 14th birthday.
    • If the U.S. citizen parent fails to meet the physical presence requirement, the child must have a U.S. citizen grandparent(s) who was physically present in the United States for a period or for multiple periods totaling not less than five years, at least two of which were after the U.S. citizen grandparent’s 14th birthday.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 4th 2018 at 4:40 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2018, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

I’m now even more confused 🤷🏼‍♀️ how do I get to take my children with me to the US? I’ve tried to look at attorneys but can only find ones that deal with UK immigration near when I live. About 4 hours from London. I never thought about trying a US attorney so will look into that. I did email London US Embassy and it was them that sent me the details for N-600k.

I don’t want to loose the fees by filing the incorrect forms. Has anyone done this process recently? Do I need the I-130 or N-600k?

Old Nov 5th 2018, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

newacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond reputenewacct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaraB25
Hi, I wondered if anyone can help me. I am a US citizen who has lived in the UK for most of my life, however my Father is a US citizen and lives in the united states. I am wanting to be closer to my father and other family members and move back to the states. My husband is in the visa process and the moment and had his I-130 approved he is now waiting on his interview. I have 2 children age 9 and 6 who were both born in the UK. I am trying to find out how i take them to live in the US permanently. It looks at thought i can complete the N-600K form and the will be interviewed when in the States but unsure how i go about getting them there. Has anyone else been in the same situation or can help me.
Thanks
If you and the child intend to move to the US, you should not go the INA 322 route. The correct route is to petition them to immigrate with I-130 and do Consular Processing abroad for an immigrant visa. When they enter the US with their immigrant visa, they will automatically and immediately become a US permanent resident, and also automatically and immediately become a US citizen under INA 320 due to being a US permanent resident under 18 living in the US with a US citizen parent.

Only if you and the child do not intend to move to the US, would you do the INA 322 process. In this process, after the N-600K is approved, the child would enter the US on a nonimmigrant visa, usually a B2 visitor visa or on VWP, to attend the interview and take the oath. Entering as a B2 or VWP visitor requires that the child not have immigrant intent; that's why this is only applicable for families that do not intend to move to the US.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for your help you have make it all make sense. Yes we are intending on staying in the US so we now know the route we need to go down. Thank you again. 😀
Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:15 pm
Concierge

Thank you, newacct, for reiterating the information which was previously supplied to the OP in the earlier responses. She has taken to heed your advice and that is a good thing.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you to you Rete I just couldn’t get my head round it before as I have read so many different things. But yes I’m also very pleased that I am now on the right path. So thank you to everyone for your posts. 😀
Old May 6th 2019, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Michele11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! I would like to know if anyone has filed using the Newark office how was there experience? Or plan B it's Vermont if anyone has file there.

Also would like to ask if anyone has filed when a child was born out of wedlock, how was your experience?

thanks.
Old May 8th 2019, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michele11
Also would like to ask if anyone has filed when a child was born out of wedlock, how was your experience?

thanks.
You were asking these questions practically 2 years ago. Have you looked at USCIS's requirements for such situations specifically as it relates to the country of birth?
Old May 8th 2019, 10:12 pm
Concierge

Michelle

I don't know where you are in trying to get US Citizenship for your child borne out of wedlock. Last June you were attempting to get info on the N600K. Now you are asking about the USCIS field office in Newark, New Jersey<?> and the service center in Vermont.

What are you looking to find out. Have your read through the long and extensive thread on the N600K which is used by most everyone who is attempting to get US Citizenship for their children and/or grandchildren. Or are you just not getting the information given to you last year.

We all would like to help you but without information we have no clue what to help you with.
Old May 14th 2019, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Michele11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Michelle

I don't know where you are in trying to get US Citizenship for your child borne out of wedlock. Last June you were attempting to get info on the N600K. Now you are asking about the USCIS field office in Newark, New Jersey<?> and the service center in Vermont.

What are you looking to find out. Have your read through the long and extensive thread on the N600K which is used by most everyone who is attempting to get US Citizenship for their children and/or grandchildren. Or are you just not getting the information given to you last year.

We all would like to help you but without information we have no clue what to help you with.
Hi. I most definitely hit the wrong thread my bad. But yes I was here around June 2017 i believe. It's not my child, it's both my nieces, one born in marriage and the other didn't. My brother (their father) died almost 3 years ago, it's all good, I got in touch with a nice lawyer who's taking care of everything, she mention the filing would be done either on the newark field office or Vermont, so i was just asking anyone experience using them.

In a few days The applications are gonna be send out, the lawyer mention that since my brother died and can't sign an affidavit it could be obviously less straight forward that his other daughter born in marriage.
I'll be sure to share the results after this is done.

**everything above its about N600K btw

Thank you.

Last edited by Michele11; May 14th 2019 at 11:06 pm.