Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400, U.S Citizenship, what after interview?

N-400, U.S Citizenship, what after interview?

Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

tijbedi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: N-400, U.S Citizenship, what after interview?

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes you are. You can renew it whenever it is convenient for you. It is not required for the N-400 interview and if anything, you will only use it as a method of photo identification.

No the Garden City office does NOT do same day oaths either.

As for job titles, don't sweat it. They are only interested that you earned money and filed taxes with the IRS. It is a sign of good character. Also bring your proof that you registered with the selective service if you were in the US as a pending adjusting while under the age of 26.
Thank you so much guys.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tijbedi
What happens after I take the interview? Do I get the Naturalization number the same day? or do I have to wait more for something else, if so what and how long do I have to wait for.

Thanks in advance
If you are clear to go on to be naturalized by about mid-day, you could be naturalized in a small ceremony the same day. Time and resources permitting, they can organize small ceremonies on-the-fly. I say this from what I've personally experienced at the Atlanta District Office so this could vary a lot.

Here are two examples of things that can happen to prevent you from being naturalized the same day: 1) your file did not arrive at the office 2) the interviews are running 3 hours behind in the afternoon and there are no more ceremonies for the day

(both of which happened to my family so far)

For the interview, you should go to the bathroom before you sign in at the waiting area as there is no way to prevent your name from being called while you are out of the waiting room. they tell you that you leave at your own risk..

A lot of patience should also be exercised. I have personally had the following happen: 1) had to fill out a blank N-400 from scratch in the waiting room 2) heard pleas coming from the interview rooms then watched someone get handcuffed with the girlfriend left wailing in the waiting room 3) people yawning and sighing, growing impatient and getting out of their seat to check every name that is called in case it was mispronounced because they have been waiting there for half the day.

All in all, not a pleasant experience, but otherwise easy.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 2:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaytee
If you are clear to go on to be naturalized by about mid-day, you could be naturalized in a small ceremony the same day. Time and resources permitting, they can organize small ceremonies on-the-fly. I say this from what I've personally experienced at the Atlanta District Office so this could vary a lot.
All in all, not a pleasant experience, but otherwise easy.
Can you explain what you mean by a ceremony on the fly? Are you saying that you take the interview/test in one DO and then fly to another state for the swearing in ceremony that same day?