Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400, U.S Citizenship, what after interview?

N-400, U.S Citizenship, what after interview?

Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

tijbedi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question N-400, U.S Citizenship, what after interview?

What happens after I take the interview? Do I get the Naturalization number the same day? or do I have to wait more for something else, if so what and how long do I have to wait for.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400, U.S Citizenship, what after interview?

Originally Posted by tijbedi
What happens after I take the interview? Do I get the Naturalization number the same day? or do I have to wait more for something else, if so what and how long do I have to wait for.

Thanks in advance
After the interview, there will be an oath ceremony, and then you will be a USC. How long it takes depends on where you live. Some places offer same-day oath ceremonies, some places can take up to a couple of months, I believe.

Rene
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

firtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nicefirtreesix is just really nice

Thanks in advance

IT depends from one location to another as far as the Oath Ceremony goes. Here, in Orlando, they do have Oath Ceremonies right at the agency where one does the interview. However, in my case I had to submit more documentation after the interview. I had a month to send them what they wanted and had a reply two weeks after that, advising me when and where to show up for the ceremony. I will be taking my Oath of Allegiance July 3, at the Orange county Convention Centre. I expect you will be notified as to when and where. Hope this helps,

Richard
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: N-400, U.S Citizenship, what after interview?

Well I haven't been interviewed yet, I am applying from new york city. I hope its the same day.

Originally Posted by firtreesix
IT depends from one location to another as far as the Oath Ceremony goes. Here, in Orlando, they do have Oath Ceremonies right at the agency where one does the interview. However, in my case I had to submit more documentation after the interview. I had a month to send them what they wanted and had a reply two weeks after that, advising me when and where to show up for the ceremony. I will be taking my Oath of Allegiance July 3, at the Orange county Convention Centre. I expect you will be notified as to when and where. Hope this helps,

Richard
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I haven't been interviewed yet, I am applying from new york city. I hope its the same day.
According to this link: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...h+ceremony+NYC it seems that it takes a couple of weeks from the interview to the oath ceremony in NYC.

Rene
Old Jun 27th 2006, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

I just wanted to know when the application is processed and before the interview do they not assess the data we provide on the form? LIke jobs and time spent outside and other stuff? From what I have been reading looks like people have been denied on the interview day of various reasons, reasons that they could have assessed before they could have called you for an interview. Do they not first validate the information you provide on the form before they call you for an interview?

I am just scared now, not that I have done anything wrong, but like in my jobs list I have listed that I worked with a company for 3 years, out of which there were these 4 months when I was not really an employee but a consultant although I was working for the same company, should I be scared of these things?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
According to this link: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...h+ceremony+NYC it seems that it takes a couple of weeks from the interview to the oath ceremony in NYC.

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:18 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

I just wanted to know when the application is processed and before the interview do they not assess the data we provide on the form? LIke jobs and time spent outside and other stuff? From what I have been reading looks like people have been denied on the interview day of various reasons, reasons that they could have assessed before they could have called you for an interview. Do they not first validate the information you provide on the form before they call you for an interview?

I am just scared now, not that I have done anything wrong, but like in my jobs list I have listed that I worked with a company for 3 years, out of which there were these 4 months when I was not really an employee but a consultant although I was working for the same company, should I be scared of these things?
Come clean and tell us what the "other stuff" and "these things" are. I guess resume enhancement is fairly common these days, but what else have you fibbed about?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: N-400, U.S Citizenship, what after interview?

Originally Posted by JulianB
Come clean and tell us what the "other stuff" and "these things" are. I guess resume enhancement is fairly common these days, but what else have you fibbed about?
Nothing really, that's the only thing, like I said nothing to hide about and even for that consulting bit I have a letter from that company that says that I will be working for them just as an consultant not an employee. My question really was do they not verify what you write on your application? I would think yes.

Anyways I did some research and cause I have the letter from the company I think I have nothing to worry about. Thanks for your help.

Btw how did you guys prepare for the test? Just the 100 questions on the site or did you read something else?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Just the 100 questions on the site...
Yes, just those questions. Also, you'll be required to read and write a simple sentence in English.

Ian
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

New York City is NOT the same day. You will be, if lucky, even the appointment letter for the oath ceremony that day if you pass the testing and if you ask the examiner if you can hang around for the appointment letter. Note, that you might pass the testing but there might be issues re: more documentation, security clearance, or just the need to have a supervisor sign off on the examiners approval. So do not count on getting approved the day of your interview.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
New York City is NOT the same day. You will be, if lucky, even the appointment letter for the oath ceremony that day if you pass the testing and if you ask the examiner if you can hang around for the appointment letter. Note, that you might pass the testing but there might be issues re: more documentation, security clearance, or just the need to have a supervisor sign off on the examiners approval. So do not count on getting approved the day of your interview.
I am so sorry I have to show up at the Garden City office in Long Island not the new york city one, does that make a difference?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing really, that's the only thing, like I said nothing to hide about and even for that consulting bit I have a letter from that company that says that I will be working for them just as an consultant not an employee. My question really was do they not verify what you write on your application? I would think yes.
No they do not. They will not verify your employment history. Actually that will more or less be proven with your IRS tax forms.

Anyways I did some research and cause I have the letter from the company I think I have nothing to worry about. Thanks for your help.

Btw how did you guys prepare for the test? Just the 100 questions on the site or did you read something else?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

No they do not. They will not verify your employment history. Actually that will more or less be proven with your IRS tax forms.
Do the Titles on the Job Description have to match the IRS job title?
Like I was working as an Web Administrator in 2004 but wrote down Software Engineer on the tax form, things like those shouldn't matter right? A software Engineer can basically be alot of different job titles.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: N-400, U.S Citizenship, what after interview?

Also one last question, my original passport from my home country it about to expire in September, should I get it renewed or should I wait uptil the interview date which is in August, or does it not matter? (I was think they might say why did you get it renewed when clearly you were hoping to get a US Passport, am I being paranoid?)
Old Jun 28th 2006, 4:24 pm
Concierge

(I was think they might say why did you get it renewed when clearly you were hoping to get a US Passport, am I being paranoid?)

Yes you are. You can renew it whenever it is convenient for you. It is not required for the N-400 interview and if anything, you will only use it as a method of photo identification.

No the Garden City office does NOT do same day oaths either.

As for job titles, don't sweat it. They are only interested that you earned money and filed taxes with the IRS. It is a sign of good character. Also bring your proof that you registered with the selective service if you were in the US as a pending adjusting while under the age of 26.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.