British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   N-400 Timeline for Chicago (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/n-400-timeline-chicago-458256/)

kdog Jun 14th 2007 7:59 am

N-400 Timeline for Chicago

Hi,

I just filed my wife's N-400 based on marriage to US Citizen, on June 10, 2007. Can Anyone tell me the timeline of N-400 processing in Chicago. My wife became a permanent resident in July of 04.

KD:thumbup:

kdog Jun 20th 2007 4:57 am

Re: N-400 Timeline for Chicago

any one ?

ian-mstm Jun 20th 2007 11:57 am

Originally Posted by kdog (Post 4911998)
Can Anyone tell me the timeline of N-400 processing in Chicago.

Give it about 3 - 6 months to the interview, assuming the background check clears quickly... otherwise, maybe 6 - 8 months.

Ian

meauxna Jun 22nd 2007 3:40 am

Originally Posted by kdog (Post 4911998)
Hi,

I just filed my wife's N-400 based on marriage to US Citizen, on June 10, 2007. Can Anyone tell me the timeline of N-400 processing in Chicago. My wife became a permanent resident in July of 04.

KD:thumbup:

Not me, but you can look it up for yourself at uscis.gov

I watched our office for a while to get an idea of their trend; the Service's goal is to complete these cases within 6 months, but that will vary by office traffic volume and your individual circumstances.

aka 'No'. :)

kdog Jun 23rd 2007 5:06 pm

Meauxna,

when did you file. What is your timeline. My wife and I have to travel in over-seas to attend a wedding in the family, in early novmber. And I was hoping that we would be done with the N400 process by then.

Wishful thinking I guess .........!

KD

kdog Aug 14th 2007 8:17 pm

people,

any idea how long its taking to for interveiw after fingerprints are done....................

meauxna Aug 14th 2007 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by kdog (Post 5189123)
people,

any idea how long its taking to for interveiw after fingerprints are done....................

oops, never got back to you. We filed in Portland Oregon--interview/oath last summer.

I think there is no way to really know the interview schedule. I just watched over the period of a couple of years to see what the trend was in our office.

I see you've got upcoming travel plans. Rather than have you worry, I can promise you that it either will be complete by then, or it will not.
:)

Glen Ellyn Service Crew Aug 15th 2007 11:17 am

Originally Posted by kdog (Post 5189123)
people,

For me it was 6 month after.

mick52 Aug 22nd 2007 12:50 pm

Hello Kdog,
Hi,could you please let me know if they called you for interview,I am also in chicago area,I have not applied yet.also did you have to send in tons of copies of joint bills again like I751 or just tax documents with N400.
THANKS-Mick

alect Aug 22nd 2007 6:34 pm

I found this site which has applicants self-enter their timeline and provides a real-life sample of what's going:

http://www.immihelp.com/tracker/citizenship-tracker.do

You can add your timeline to add to the sample size.

kdog Aug 24th 2007 5:39 pm

no news on the interview as of yet. We had the fingerprints done on July 31st so now we are waiting and watching our mail every few days for interview notice.

Alec, thanks for the web site. will upload the info there. Ours is at Nebraska Service Center.

By the way, why doesnt the USCIS processing times site show the N400 processing times. I checked and it appears none of the service centers show processing times for N400. are they posted at another URL ?
KD

alect Aug 24th 2007 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by kdog (Post 5231212)
no news on the interview as of yet. We had the fingerprints done on July 31st so now we are waiting and watching our mail every few days for interview notice.

Alec, thanks for the web site. will upload the info there. Ours is at Nebraska Service Center.

By the way, why doesnt the USCIS processing times site show the N400 processing times. I checked and it appears none of the service centers show processing times for N400. are they posted at another URL ?
KD

N400 processing times (for what they are worth) are posted under the individual DOs

kdog Jan 23rd 2008 7:42 am

Form N-652 - A decision Cannot be Made on Your Application at this time
================================================== ====

Hi All,

we went to USCIS's chicago office on Jan 17 for my wife's N-400 interview appointment, scheduled at 1:30pm CST (marriage-based N400 application)

we showed up promptly at 1pm, went up the elevators to the 3rd floor , and were ushered into a huge waiting room filled with other applicants and their family members who had come along for moral support, and waited for her name to be called. Every few minutes or so, one of the Immigration Officers would appear from the doors and call out a name, and lead them inside for the naturalization interview.

after about 15 minites of wait, wife's name was called by a lady officer. I waited for her in the waiting area. once inside the office, she was sworn to tell the whole truth, and then was asked questions about her background and other basic information that was already in her application. The officer was polite and courteous and asked her about any change in information since we filed the N-400, to which my wife informed her of the birth of our daughter.

A basic civics and history exam was included in the interview, and while the answers seemed straight-forward, she was still a bit anxious. the officer proceeded to ask her the following questions:

1. Who becomes President of the United States if the President dies?
Answer: The Vice-President

2. How many changes or Amendments are there to the Constitution?
Answer: 27

3. Who is the current governor of Illinois?
Answer: Rod R Blagojavich

4. What were the 13 original states of the United States called before they became states?
Answer: colonies

5. What are the two major political parties in the United States?
Answer: Democratic and Republican

6. What is the national anthem of the United States?
Answer: Star Spangled Banner

She was able to answer all Six Questions correctly. At the end of the interview, the officer gave her the result form (N-652) which states that she has passed the Civics and History Exam , and the Option (B) checked stating "A decision cannot yes be made on your application" . The other option on the form is (A) " Congratulations, you meet the eligibility criteria for Naturalization and will be notified for date and schedule of Oath Ceremony"

Upon inquiring, The officer informed her that they are still waiting on an internal document regarding back-ground or name-check (wife can't exactly remember now) on her and that the document should be with them in one to 2 days, after which USCIS will inform us of a decision on her application (in 4 to 8 weeks).

So , we just wanted to share our experience here and perhaps hear from some of you if you have had similar option (B) checked on your N-652 form, and how long did it take to get a decision ? I had thought that all the back-ground and name-checking would have been done before the interview , or atleast during her green-card (I-485) processing.

Oh well, the wait continues. But i think we were in and and out of the USCIS office within an hours and ten minites, not bad at all !

kdog Jan 23rd 2008 7:53 am

By the way, here is our timeline: (filed in Chicago)

- mailed N400 = Jun 11, 2007
- application received and checked cashed = June 15, 2007
- Receipt Notice (NOA) receive Date = June 23, 2007
- Fngerprints Done = July 31st 2007
- Interview notice Receipt Date = Nov 19 2007
- Interview Date = Jan 17, 2008
- Waiting .......

KDog

Rete Jan 23rd 2008 1:34 pm

Your wife's experience is quite normal. There is nothing abnormal about the notice your wife got. Chances are good that she will be voting this coming November.