Wikiposts

N-400 requirements

Old Mar 13th 2004, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

schumacher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N-400 requirements

Hi All,

I am sure this question has been asked thousands of times, but please still help me with some advice.

Situation:
------------
I have been living in the US, as a permanent resident, for about 15 years. During the past 15 years, I only spent around 6 months abroad (3 months in the past 5 years). I submitted the N-400 form earlier this year. Now, my employeer (an European company) is planning to assign me to a position overseas. The assignment could last up to two years.

Question:
-------------
I notice that one of the requirements to become a naturalized citizen is to stay "continuously" in the US. More specifically, any single trip overseas should not last more than 6 months. Suppose that it takes two years to process my application. My question is, if I spend majority of the two years overseas, but do make reqular return to the US every 5 months (and stay in the US for a brief period, say 1 week), will I still satisfy the "continuous residence" requirement?

Thank you for your advice!
Old Mar 14th 2004, 3:22 pm
Ujjwalc

Default Re: N-400 requirements

With a pending N-400, it may be possible
to work overseas if an US employer
does the posting for job reasons. I am not absolutely sure.Talk to an attorney
or talk to USCIS to make sure that's not a
prblem.