British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   N-400 Process (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/n-400-process-934740/)

princessconsuela Sep 9th 2020 8:14 pm

N-400 Process

I just applied online for my citizenship this week. It has been on my mind for a while and in a rare moment of spontaneity I just applied. My type A side is now stressing out that I did something wrong though! I had an employment based H1B followed by GC. I have been a permanent resident since Feb 2014 and married to a US citizen since July 2014. In the online system they didn't ask about my employment based GC but lots of questions about my husband and kids. They have my A-number so I'm sure they can get this!

They also asked for copies of marriage cert and kids birth certs but not my tax return or bank statements, I have read other people provide these things so not sure if I should go back in and add them?

It also says "estimated case completion time of Dec 2020" and "Estimated wait time: 2 days" which just seems highly unlikely!!! My local office says that it 11-20 months out so not sure what to expect.

Any insight to the process would be great :)

Noorah101 Sep 9th 2020 9:09 pm

Re: N-400 Process

Sounds to me like you did everything right. If you think you missed uploading some docs, take them to the interview.

Rene

Pulaski Sep 9th 2020 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by princessconsuela (Post 12907935)
... not sure what to expect. ....

This is 2020, so that's the same for all of us! :lol:

The only "mistake" I see is that you could have applied almost 3½ years ago, :nod: But after 5+ years you can qualify for citizenship irrespective of your marriage to a US citizen, so perhaps they won't ask for your marriage certificate. That said, I have heard of cases where they have asked for the marriage cetificate even when explictly applying based on 5 years as a GC holder, not 3 years as a GC holder + marriage to a USC.

As Noorah said, they will ask if something is missing and unless they discover that you're a violent felon, a war criminal, a terrorist, or a spy for China, Iran, Cuba, or NK, there is almost no chance that your application will be rejected.

steph0scope Sep 9th 2020 11:36 pm

The “estimated wait time” is the time to the next stage, which will be the appointment being made for the biometrics. That is typically done a few days after submission (not that the appointment is within a few days but the making of the appointment will be done in a few days).

civilservant Sep 10th 2020 11:36 am

They also asked for copies of marriage cert and kids birth certs but not my tax return or bank statements, I have read other people provide these things so not sure if I should go back in and add them?
Take them to the interview. They are not obliged to look at unsolicited documents uploaded after the application date, so you'd need to take them to the interview anyway.

Rose tea Sep 11th 2020 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by princessconsuela (Post 12907935)

It also says "estimated case completion time of Dec 2020" and "Estimated wait time: 2 days" which just seems highly unlikely!!! My local office says that it 11-20 months out so not sure what to expect.

I also didn't get asked for tax returns: just GC documents, and then I think my kid's birth certificate. I uploaded the marriage cert anyway, even though I don't really need to, and a couple of years' worth of tax documents. That was it.

I've also got an estimated completion time of Dec 2020, and I applied back in July - but I haven't even received a biometrics appointment yet. It does say that they are taking longer than expected to process my case, which is clearly true, as I should have had a biometrics date by now.

Welcome to the Wait And See Club!