Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Part 9 Time Outside of the US

N-400 Part 9 Time Outside of the US

Old Oct 3rd 2017, 4:19 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute
Default N-400 Part 9 Time Outside of the US

Forgive me if this has been asked before, I did run a search on previous threads.

I'm a handful of days away from being eligible to submit an N-400 application for naturalization to USCIS.

My application is based on marriage to a US citizen (by birth) and having lived here for 3 years (minus the 90 days which I believe they allow for these applications)

Part 9 of form N-400 asks exactly this:

1. "How many total days (24 hours or longer) did you spend outside the United States during the last 5 years?

2. "How many trips of 24 hours or longer have you taken outside the United States during the last 5 years?

My question is, since my application is based on 3 years, do I calculate the above based on a 3 years period, or do I literally calculate the days spent outside of the US for the 2 years prior to the commencement of my residency?

And then how might I calculate all my trips (since I guess technically every trip was outside of the US asides from the trips I purposefully made to the US)

Thanks all!
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Part 9 Time Outside of the US

Originally Posted by username.exe
Forgive me if this has been asked before, I did run a search on previous threads.

I'm a handful of days away from being eligible to submit an N-400 application for naturalization to USCIS.

My application is based on marriage to a US citizen (by birth) and having lived here for 3 years (minus the 90 days which I believe they allow for these applications)

1. "How many total days (24 hours or longer) did you spend outside the United States during the last 5 years?

2. "How many trips of 24 hours or longer have you taken outside the United States during the last 5 years?

My question is, since my application is based on 3 years, do I calculate the above based on a 3 years period, or do I literally calculate the days spent outside of the US for the 2 years prior to the commencement of my residency?

And then how might I calculate all my trips (since I guess technically every trip was outside of the US asides from the trips I purposefully made to the US)

Thanks all!
Yes the form is designed for the 5 year applicant, so at various points you have to adjust. So you calculate all time outside the USA in 3 years.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all!
You can base your answers on 3 years.

Not sure what you mean by "how might I calculate all my trips"? You simply count the number of days you were outside the USA during the last 3 years.

Rene
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 2:22 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, if one is close to the limits, do note that if any part of a day is in the United States, then the ENTIRE day counts as a day in the United States. So, if one leaves early Tuesday to return late Thursday, there has been only one day out. (The automatic calculators on electronic versions of the forms and DHS officers are known to miss this).
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 3:21 pm

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, that's really helpful, I will respond per my three years.

One more final question:

Per the Required Evidence section, uscis strongly recommends I bring copies of my tax returns. Since I have been here for not quite three full years, will it be a problem only providing two years' of tax returns?
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 3:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No. You can only provide what you have.

Rene
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 7:39 pm

Thank you, Noorah.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 8:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Noorah.
Also since you are naturalizing under the 3 year married to a Yank rule, also be sure to bring with you, your marriage certificate, proof of life together, tax returns that you have, etc. While you might be asked for anything, they might well want to see that the marriage is still ongoing and viable. Rather safe than sorry.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Rete
Also since you are naturalizing under the 3 year married to a Yank rule, also be sure to bring with you, your marriage certificate, proof of life together, tax returns that you have, etc. While you might be asked for anything, they might well want to see that the marriage is still ongoing and viable. Rather safe than sorry.
Excellent, will do. Thank you, Rete.