Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400, Part 7 - Trying to get a jump start.

Wikiposts

N-400, Part 7 - Trying to get a jump start.

Old Oct 1st 2005, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of
Default N-400, Part 7 - Trying to get a jump start.

Philip and I are able to apply for his Naturalization after Oct. 15th.

Going over the forms everything seems very easy to answer, but I have questions about Part 7 - about Time Outside Of the United States.

Question A asks:

How many total days did you spend outside of the United States during the last 5 years?

5 years ago, Philip was still living in Belfast. He has made no trips outside of the U.S. since arriving in March of 2002. We married April 2002 and he became a Legal Permanent Resident in January 2003.

Do we need to physically count the days he wasn't in the US in the past 5 years? Is that the answer to this question?

Question B asks:

How many trips of 24 hours or more have you taken outside of the United States during the past 5 years?

Again, Philip was living in Belfast and in the British Army. He took several trips from Beflast with varying destinations for both the British Army and for personal travel, but he never took a trip leaving the United States... unless he was going home to Belfast.

I appreciate any help as I am über confused.

Respectfully Submitted,

Jen
Old Oct 1st 2005, 6:05 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400, Part 7 - Trying to get a jump start.

Originally Posted by jeninifer
Philip and I are able to apply for his Naturalization after Oct. 15th.

Going over the forms everything seems very easy to answer, but I have questions about Part 7 - about Time Outside Of the United States.

Question A asks:

How many total days did you spend outside of the United States during the last 5 years?

5 years ago, Philip was still living in Belfast. He has made no trips outside of the U.S. since arriving in March of 2002. We married April 2002 and he became a Legal Permanent Resident in January 2003.

Do we need to physically count the days he wasn't in the US in the past 5 years? Is that the answer to this question?

Question B asks:

How many trips of 24 hours or more have you taken outside of the United States during the past 5 years?

Again, Philip was living in Belfast and in the British Army. He took several trips from Beflast with varying destinations for both the British Army and for personal travel, but he never took a trip leaving the United States... unless he was going home to Belfast.

Respectfully Submitted,

Jen
Your husband is applying for citizenshipon the basis of marriage to you, an American citizen. In that case, all answers should refer to the last three years, not five.

Please reread the notes that accompany the N-400 application for confirmation.

NC Penguin

4/26/05: N-400 application mailed to TSC
4/28/05: N-400 received by TSC
5/12?/05: NOA rec from TSC
6/4/05: rec NOA for fingerprinting. Appt scheduled for 7/5/05
7/5/05: biometrics and fingerprints taken at ASC in Charlotte
Old Oct 1st 2005, 7:52 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with NCP. Base your answers on 3 years. Your answers will likely show 0 days and 0 trips. Too easy, eh?

He took several trips from Beflast with varying destinations for both the British Army and for personal travel, but he never took a trip leaving the United States... unless he was going home to Belfast.
I am a bit confused with this bit though... how could he not make any trips outside the US *unless* he was going to Belfast? The answer to this may alter the answers above.

Ian
Old Oct 1st 2005, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I agree with NCP. Base your answers on 3 years. Your answers will likely show 0 days and 0 trips. Too easy, eh?

I am a bit confused with this bit though... how could he not make any trips outside the US *unless* he was going to Belfast? The answer to this may alter the answers above.

Ian
Since he arrived on US soil in March of 2002, he has not left the United States. The question says 5 years, on the form and in the instructions it makes no mention otherwise.

So, if he went from Belfast to Manchester (and then back home to Belfast) in December of 2004 - he has traveled outside of the United States within 5 years.

Sorry to confuse you, but that's exactly the state I was in when I made the post. It's only right for me to pass it along!

Thanks for your help. It's appreciated.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Your husband is applying for citizenshipon the basis of marriage to you, an American citizen. In that case, all answers should refer to the last three years, not five.

Please reread the notes that accompany the N-400 application for confirmation.
Hey NC, thanks. I read the instructions and questions over and over, but I didn't see where it stated differently.

I'll have to go back through.

Thanks for the guidance.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 3:37 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Hey NC, thanks. I read the instructions and questions over and over, but I didn't see where it stated differently.

I'll have to go back through.

Thanks for the guidance.
There are three parts to question 7, which is what you were asking about.

Parts 1 and 2 (total days, and number of trips) do ask for answers for the past five years. Part 3, which requires itemised details, asks only for the details of trips since becoming an LPR.

It's not that hard: follow the instructions...
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nettlebed
There are three parts to question 7, which is what you were asking about.

Parts 1 and 2 (total days, and number of trips) do ask for answers for the past five years. Part 3, which requires itemised details, asks only for the details of trips since becoming an LPR.

It's not that hard: follow the instructions...
Thank you, I have read and reread the instructions and, clearly, I interpreted them differently from you.

If you were to reread MY post, you would see that I asked specifically about the questions that are labeled A and B. (You call these 1 and 2.) I have no problems with my answer for question C, nor did I ask about question C.

5 years ago, my husband was living in Belfast, with visits to the US and other countries. So, in the past 5 years, the number of total days that my husband spent outside of the US are going to be around 450+. The number of days spent outside of the US since becoming an LPR is 0. Do they want the 450+ answer? If they do, that's fine, but is the person reviewing our application going to be smart enough to realize that within the last 5 years Philip was still a resident of the UK?

In the past 5 years he has made MANY trips outside of the U.S. England, Scotland, Gibralter, etc. Since becoming an LPR he has made 0 trips outside of the US. Again, some concerns as above.

I just want to put the right information on Philip's application. I think that's why we're all here. If the instructions were perfectly palatable to us all... there would be no need for this discussion board other than for moral support... and there wouldn't already be two different answers posted to my one question.

Thank you.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 4:09 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, I have read and reread the instructions and, clearly, I interpreted them differently from you.

If you were to reread MY post, you would see that I asked specifically about the questions that are labeled A and B. (You call these 1 and 2.) I have no problems with my answer for question C, nor did I ask about question C.

5 years ago, my husband was living in Belfast, with visits to the US and other countries. So, in the past 5 years, the number of total days that my husband spent outside of the US are going to be around 450+. The number of days spent outside of the US since becoming an LPR is 0. Do they want the 450+ answer? If they do, that's fine, but is the person reviewing our application going to be smart enough to realize that within the last 5 years Philip was still a resident of the UK?

In the past 5 years he has made MANY trips outside of the U.S. England, Scotland, Gibralter, etc. Since becoming an LPR he has made 0 trips outside of the US. Again, some concerns as above.

I just want to put the right information on Philip's application. I think that's why we're all here. If the instructions were perfectly palatable to us all... there would be no need for this discussion board other than for moral support... and there wouldn't already be two different answers posted to my one question.

Thank you.
If you're not wholly convinced with the responses on this thread, may I suggest you:

1) do a search on previous questions such as yours. i.e. if marriage based, are answers based on a three year period or a five year period
or
2) consult a competent immigration attorney for aan

The choice is yours.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 5:46 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.
So, in section A, where is the problem? The question simply asks how many days has he spent outside the US in the last five years: you've already answered that: 450+. The figure can't be zero because he has not spent the last five years in the US. There is no question of interpretation here.

In section B, although it is not explicitly stated, the clear (to me at least) intent of the question is "how many trips has he made from the US to outside the US in the past five years. This reading is further bolstered by the fact that in section C the details required for trips outside the US of 24 hours or more include date of departure from, and date of return to the US. I would guess, though seeing as you want an absolute answer, you might want to consult an attorney, that while he was non-resident he Would not be deemed to be making trips outside the US as part of his visits to the US.

Last edited by nettlebed; Oct 2nd 2005 at 5:49 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Thank you.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Thank you.
Jennifer, I believe the answer to:
Part 7 A. is the TOTAL (Exact) days in the last 5 years he has spent outside the USA. As you say 450+, of course needs to be exact (Leap years etc).
7B Would be the number of trips, that are made up of those days. Could be 45 ten day trips or one 450 day trip

7C Is list trips of 24 hours or more since becoming a PR, husbands case "0".

The reason, the nosey ones are asking, (In your case, before hubby was even here) is they want to see if he has been to any dodgy/dubious countries in LAST 5 YEARS (The so called moral turpitude period).

Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
7B Would be the number of trips, that are made up of those days. Could be 45 ten day trips or one 450 day trip
Perhaps for the OP, but not necessarily so... especially for those who live along the Canada-US or Mexico-US border. Day trips are quite common and if they are under 24 hours, then they do not need to be listed in 7B.

The reason, the nosey ones are asking, (In your case, before hubby was even here) is they want to see if he has been to any dodgy/dubious countries in LAST 5 YEARS (The so called moral turpitude period).
This has to be among the most ridiculous responses I've ever seen... and I've been following this forum for 8 years!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Oct 2nd 2005 at 2:08 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ian-mstm]Perhaps for the OP, but not necessarily so... especially for those who live along the Canada-US or Mexico-US border. Day trips are quite common and if they are under 24 hours, then they do not need to be listed in 7B.

Ian Quote
This has to be among the most ridiculous responses I've ever seen... and I've been following this forum for 8 years!

I think Jennifer said, he has not made any trips since becoming a PR. SO nothing to list in 7B. Though, she does say, other then going to Belfast?????, if he went to Belfast for more then 24 hours since becoming a PR, then would need to list under 7B.

I'll roll with this one IAN.
Why do YOU think? they want to know where we have been & for how long.

reg. Frank ridiculous

Last edited by frrussre; Oct 2nd 2005 at 3:30 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 3:50 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by frrussre
I think Jennifer said, he has not made any trips since becoming a PR. SO nothing to list in 7B. Though, she does say, other then going to Belfast?????, if he went to Belfast for more then 24 hours since becoming a PR, then would need to list under 7B
The time period asked about in 7B is five years, not since becoming an LPR. That is applicable to 7C only.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nettlebed
The time period asked about in 7B is five years, not since becoming an LPR. That is applicable to 7C only.
Nettlebed, yes your 100%. I had said that in my 1st response, 7B being the actual # of trips in the 7A 5 year period.. Guess my last response, was written to quick & getting late.
Thanks Reg. Frank R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.