British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   N-400 Part 7 - Time outside the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/n-400-part-7-time-outside-us-491099/)

Scorchio Nov 1st 2007 9:29 pm

N-400 Part 7 - Time outside the US

I'm approaching the start of the 90 day period prior to the 3rd anniversary of becoming a permanent resident, so I'm looking at the next step - naturalization.

Looking through the N-400 form, everything seems straight forward, except for part 7, which asks about time I've spent outside the US in the past five years. In February, it'll be four years since I moved to the US. Three months prior to moving to the US, I came over for about 3 days for a job interview.

If I submit the N-400 during the 90 day period prior to my GC anniversary, do I calculate the time I've been outside the country in the past five years as it would stand on the 3rd anniversary of the GC, or as it stands on the day I fill out the form?

Also, does the time prior to my interview and the time between my interview and moving to the US count as "trips taken outside the US"?

I just noticed it says at the top of the form "expires 10/31/07". Is there a newer version I should be looking at? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

meauxna Nov 1st 2007 9:33 pm

Re: N-400 Part 7 - Time outside the US

Originally Posted by Scorchio (Post 5499063)
I'm approaching the start of the 90 day period prior to the 3rd anniversary of becoming a permanent resident, so I'm looking at the next step - naturalization.

Looking through the N-400 form, everything seems straight forward, except for part 7, which asks about time I've spent outside the US in the past five years. In February, it'll be four years since I moved to the US. Three months prior to moving to the US, I came over for about 3 days for a job interview.

If I submit the N-400 during the 90 day period prior to my GC anniversary, do I calculate the time I've been outside the country in the past five years as it would stand on the 3rd anniversary of the GC, or as it stands on the day I fill out the form?

Also, does the time prior to my interview and the time between my interview and moving to the US count as "trips taken outside the US"?

I just noticed it says at the top of the form "expires 10/31/07". Is there a newer version I should be looking at? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

Are you applying under the waiver because you've also been married to a US citizen for 3 years?

Is the expiration at the top the OMB expiration? Did you get your form from uscis.gov recently?

Folinskyinla Nov 1st 2007 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Scorchio (Post 5499063)

Thanks in advance!

Hi:

The form is badly worded -- if you are doing on the three years of living in "marital union" with a spouse who is now a US Citizen, then it is the three years counting back from the date you become eligible for naturalization. [I suppose you could say it requires going back the entire 3 or 5 years, but the time prior to LPR is not "material" so no harm in either putting it or leaving it out IMHO].

On the dates, the CIS website states the current form is dated 7/30/2007, but forms dated 5/31/2001 or later are acceptable.

Scorchio Nov 1st 2007 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 5499093)
Are you applying under the waiver because you've also been married to a US citizen for 3 years?

Is the expiration at the top the OMB expiration? Did you get your form from uscis.gov recently?

Yep, my wife is a US citizen, been married for over five years now.

The form is fresh off the uscis.gov site and specifies "OMB No. 1615-0052; Expires 10/31/07" at the top.

Scorchio Nov 1st 2007 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 5499194)
Hi:

The form is badly worded -- if you are doing on the three years of living in "marital union" with a spouse who is now a US Citizen, then it is the three years counting back from the date you become eligible for naturalization. [I suppose you could say it requires going back the entire 3 or 5 years, but the time prior to LPR is not "material" so no harm in either putting it or leaving it out IMHO].

Ah ok, that makes more sense :)

On the dates, the CIS website states the current form is dated 7/30/2007, but forms dated 5/31/2001 or later are acceptable.
Cool. I'll check the uscis site later for updates, but good to know this version will still be accepted. Thanks!

meauxna Nov 1st 2007 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Scorchio (Post 5499327)

The form is fresh off the uscis.gov site and specifies "OMB No. 1615-0052; Expires 10/31/07" at the top.

OK, what MrF said abouit the 3 v 5 years. We just substituted '3 years' everywhere that asked about 5 for a USC-marriage-based N-400.

The OMB expiration is not the same as the form expiration. As long as you are getting it from the uscis.gov site (and double check for a new version before you mail it) you should be good to go.

Congrats!

Folinskyinla Nov 1st 2007 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Scorchio (Post 5499327)

Hi:

BTW, the OMB stuff at the top of the form has no practical use. However, what is at the BOTTOM of the form IS important. In particular -- the last LETTER will always be a "Y" or an "N" -- this is the secret code as to whether or not the prior edition of the form can be used.

I will leave as an exercise for the student to determine which is which.

Scorchio Nov 2nd 2007 3:57 pm

Thanks for the help, Meauxna, Folinskyinla - I appreciate it!

I sometimes wonder if they had a bunch of monkeys designing these forms... :D