Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400, Naturalization and dual citizenship

N-400, Naturalization and dual citizenship

Old Jul 31st 2013, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

wdavis0721 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N-400, Naturalization and dual citizenship

Hi Everyone,

I have had been a permanent resident / legal alien for around a decade and am about to plunge into Naturalization.

Are there any specific things I need to do or keep in mind to make sure I get dual citizenship and keep my UK passport ?

Thanks
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400, Naturalization and dual citizenship

Originally Posted by wdavis0721
Are there any specific things I need to do or keep in mind to make sure I get dual citizenship and keep my UK passport ?
No, nothing special. Just submit the N-400, go to the interview/test, go to the oath ceremony, and you're a USC.

Nothing about your UK citizenship/passport will change. You'll just automatically become a dual citizen.

Rene
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:16 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

I have had been a permanent resident / legal alien for around a decade and am about to plunge into Naturalization.

Thanks
According to your post, you already did it.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
No, you don't need to do anything. You remain a UK citizen after becoming a US citizen.

Note that as part of your US naturalization ceremony you will be required to take the naturalization oath of allegiance to the USA. This includes the following:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen..."

The US can make you say whatever it likes as part of its naturalization oath but it means absolutely nothing to the UK. The UK decides who is and who isn't a UK citizen. You will remain a UK citizen unless you take specific steps to renounce your UK citizenship with the UK authorities.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 31st 2013 at 7:58 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much everyone !
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Well I just took the Oath so I guess I am now dual !

Any pointers about traveling outside US using different passports ? in particular if I can enter the UK using UK passport but then reentering the US with US passport - no stamp might mean a trip to the "room" ! :S

Thanks

Warren
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

Any pointers about traveling outside US using different passports ? in particular if I can enter the UK using UK passport but then reentering the US with US passport - no stamp might mean a trip to the "room" ! :S

Thanks

Warren
That's what I do. If you're a USC you have to re-enter the US using your US Passport.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Any pointers about traveling outside US using different passports ? in particular if I can enter the UK using UK passport but then reentering the US with US passport...
Yes, that's the correct procedure.

Rene
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul32x
That's what I do. If you're a USC you have to re-enter the US using your US Passport.
You're also supposed to leave the US using your US passport. Of course, this is an easy rule to break since there are no exit controls.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks

Warren
I disagree with Rene. There's no one "correct" way to do it. The UK does not demand that its citizens enter on UK passports. So you could actually just use the US passport the entire time (which is what I did last time). You could nip into the UK/EU line if it's shorter.

On one other occasion, I entered the UK on my UK passport but then was leaving on my US passport when I went through a passport check at Heathrow. The guy looked at my US passport and asked why I didn't have a UK entry stamp. I explained that I had entered on my UK passport. He asked to see it and then waved me through. So if you're going to use 2 different passports, make sure that you have the other one handy in case you need to produce it at short notice.

Remember that US law states that you must leave/enter the US on your US passport.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:32 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
On one other occasion, I entered the UK on my UK passport but then was leaving on my US passport when I went through a passport check at Heathrow. The guy looked at my US passport and asked why I didn't have a UK entry stamp. I explained that I had entered on my UK passport. He asked to see it and then waved me through. So if you're going to use 2 different passports, make sure that you have the other one handy in case you need to produce it at short notice
Out of interest, why do you think the CBP wanted to see your UK passport?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Out of interest, why do you think the CBP wanted to see your UK passport?
The absence of a UK entry stamp in my US passport obviously made him suspicious so he asked why I didn't have one. When I told him I was also a UK citizen and had used my UK passport to enter, I assume he asked to see it because he wanted to make sure that I was telling the truth. I don't know what was going through his head. Maybe he thought the US passport was fake and that I'd bought it in the UK (thus no entry stamp). Or maybe he thought I'd entered the UK illegally. Who knows? I'm sure they see all sorts of scenarios.