Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Interview: Where does it say to bring spouse?

N-400 Interview: Where does it say to bring spouse?

Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Interview: Where does it say to bring spouse?

Originally Posted by pheenix11
Its funny, when she had the conditions removed on her permanant resident card, we never had an interview, they just did it.
This is typical. Most I-751's are approved without an interview.

Sounds like you just got a bad officer on a bad day. All you can do is comply and wait for the approval.

Rene
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

pheenix11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I got home and I am looking at the forms they gave my wife. It is an N-652 and an N-14. It says her N-400 was given a continuance because they need more documents that provide evidence of marital union. They are asking for utility bills, mortgage papers, bank accounts, insurance policies etc.

My wife had all of these things in her possession and this jerk said he would not look at them because he had to further review our case. So they sent us the notice asking for these forms, my wife brought them, he wouldn't look at them and instead sends her home with a letter asking us to mail the very same documents to him. He said if I was there that it would have been easier. Well maybe they should say that on the form they sent us.

I am sending all the documents out Express Mail tonight and I am also going to send a formal complaint. This is absurd that this moron doesn't even know the rules.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:10 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

She said he gave her a paper detailing what docs to send in and the paper said to send them in by Sept 20th. From what she told me on the phone he said something along the lines of he needs more time to investigate us to make sure our marriage is legit. Why he wouldn't just take the docs she had right there bewilders me.
All those documents (at least copies) should have been mailed with the N-400 and will be in her file. Also in her file are all the documents previously gathered from the two of you.

Sounds like he is prick with a capital P. No, she will not be voting this election.

Be sure to mail the documents with a receipt for mailing and a method that lets you know when it was received.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:12 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am also going to send a formal complaint.
Good idea... but don't send it in the same package as the other stuff, and don't address it to this specific person (assuming you have his name), but rather to his supervisor! Remember - USCIS has no sense of humor.

Ian
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:18 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Good idea... but don't send it in the same package as the other stuff, and don't address it to this specific person (assuming you have his name), but rather to his supervisor! Remember - USCIS has no sense of humor.

Ian

No it should be sent on the correct complaint form to the DC address specified on the USCIS website.

to the OP: A side note: Ask your wife if the interviewer had her file in front of him? Sounds like it might be that he didn't have the full original file but only her submission of the N-400 and accompanying docs.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 4:19 am
Just Joined

pheenix11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have mailed off the forms and the complaint as well. Something my wife told really sticks out though. When going over her citizenship info he actually asked her if she was prepared to serve in the military if drafted. My wife was surprised and said she would if she had to.

Has anyone ever had their wife asked this question? Obviously there is no draft for women, could this guy really be this stupid? I'm wondering now if he is that dumb then maybe he really did think I had to be there.

Its no excuse as it would just make him incompetent rather than rude but it really made me wonder.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 6:00 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

She said he gave her a paper detailing what docs to send in and the paper said to send them in by Sept 20th. From what she told me on the phone he said something along the lines of he needs more time to investigate us to make sure our marriage is legit. Why he wouldn't just take the docs she had right there bewilders me.

Its funny, when she had the conditions removed on her permanant resident card, we never had an interview, they just did it. Everything has gone relatively smoothly for us from the start, our case is not complicated at all.

When I get home and look at the paper she got I will post again for future reference for anyone else. She was very flustered but from what I could gather it sounds like we have to mail the docs in and after they will rule on her?

Who gives a sh!t your having a little one. congratulations.

alan
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously there is no draft for women...
Yet! Just because there currently is no draft, doesn't mean there won't be one in the future - and perhaps that future draft will include women.

... could this guy really be this stupid?
He asked a legitimate question... how does that make him stupid?

Ian
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:33 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever had their wife asked this question? Obviously there is no draft for women, could this guy really be this stupid? I'm wondering now if he is that dumb then maybe he really did think I had to be there.
They also ask everyone – regardless of that person’s age – whether they’d worked for or been associated with the Nazi Party between March 23, 1938 and May 8, 1945. They also require native English speakers to write out a sentence or two to demonstrate that they understand the English language.

While I agree that it doesn’t make much sense to ask someone who obviously knows fluent English and was born after 1945 for these things, at the same time I understand why they ask everyone the same question and have everyone to prove that they meet the language requirements.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Jenney,

I've run across more than a few native English speakers (not necessarily immigrants to the USA) who may be fluent, but whose literacy leaves something to be desired.

(ducking)

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
... They also require native English speakers to write out a sentence or two to demonstrate that they understand the English language.

~ Jenney