N-400 information needed

Old Jun 24th 2005, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Taterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud of
Default N-400 information needed

Hey everyone! It has been a dog's age since I have been on here....love the new look of the forum. I have missed this site. Been on nightshift too long and finally got a position on days to join the "land of the living" again! LOL
I am getting ready to mail out my N-400 application and was wondering what documents I need to send out with it. Also, when I got the packet, there were only 2 sheets of paper with history questions for the study guide. Is there more to study than this??? Can anyone suggest any helpful websites to to get information to study or do I really need any more than the 2 papers they sent with my application?
Thanks to all. Patti

PS-Hello Sphy, Marnie and NC Penguin!
Old Jun 24th 2005, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: N-400 information needed

Howdy Tater - nice to hear from you.

Try http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/English.pdf

They have the standard 100 questions included that you are tested on.

In terms of what to include, some of the instructions are outdated (i.e. they don't match the question numbers on the N-400) but it does let you know all the documents / info you need to include.

All applicants must send the following 3 things with their N-400 application:

1. A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Receipt Card or “Green Card�). If you have lost the card, submit a photocopy of the receipt of your Form I-90, Application to Replace Alien Registration Receipt Card;

2. Two (2) identical color photographs, with your name and “A� number written lightly in pencil on the back of each. For details about the photo requirements, see part 5 of A Guide to Naturalization and the Form M-378 instructions distributed with your application[note that standard passport photos are now required]. Do not wear eyeglasses or earrings for the photo. Note that if your religion requires you to wear a head covering, your facial features and your right ear must still be exposed in the photo for purposes of identification; AND

3. A check or money order for the application fee and the fingerprinting fee, as stated in the M-479 Current Naturalization Fees enclosure in the Guide. (Applicants 75 years of age or older are exempted from fingerprinting and the fingerprinting fee). Write your “A� number on the back of the check or money order.

Send COPIES of the following documents, unless we ask for an original.

If an attorney or accredited representative is acting on your behalf, send:
- A completed original Form G-28, “Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative.�

If your current legal name is different from the name on your Permanent Resident Card, send:
- The document(s) that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document).

If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following 4 things:

1. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:
• birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), OR
• naturalization certificate, OR
• certificate of citizenship, OR
• the inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport, OR
• Form FS240, “Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America�

2. Your current marriage certificate; AND

3. Proof of termination of ALL prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)); AND

4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:
• tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, OR
• IRS-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years, OR
• an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

If you were married before, send:
- Proof that ALL earlier marriages ended (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)).
If you were previously in the U.S. military service, send:
- A completed original Form G-325B, “Biographic Information.�
If you are currently in U.S. military service AND are seeking citizenship based on that service, send:
- A completed original Form N-426, “Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service;� AND

If you have taken any trip outside of the United States that lasted for 6 months or more since becoming a Permanent Resident, send evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work, and/or keep ties to the United States, such as:
- An IRS tax return “transcript� or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information for the last 5 years (or for the last 3 years if
you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen)
- Rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs.

If you have a dependent spouse or children who do not live with you, send:
- Any court or government order to provide financial support; AND
- Evidence of your financial support (including evidence that you have complied with any court or government order), such as:
• cancelled checks
• money order receipts
• a court or agency printout of child support payments
• evidence of wage garnishments
• a letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your children

If you answer “Yes� to any of questions 1 through 15 in Part 7, send:
- A written explanation on a separate sheet of paper.
If you answer “No� to any of questions 1 through 5 in Part 8, send:

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and no charges were filed filed, send:
- An original official statement by the arresting agency or applicable court confirming that no charges were filed.

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and charges were filed filed, send:
- An original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition for each incident (dismissal order, conviction
record, OR acquittal order).

If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program (such as a drug
treatment or community service program), send:
- An original or court-certified copy of the sentencing record for each incident; AND
- Evidence that you completed your sentence:
• An original or certified copy of your probation or parole record, OR
• Evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program

If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged, or otherwise removed from your record, send:
- An original or court-certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging, or otherwise removing the
arrest or conviction, OR an original statement from the court that no record exists of your arrest or conviction.

If you have ever failed to file an income tax return since you became a Permanent Resident, send:
- All correspondence with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regarding your failure to file.

If you have any federal, state, or local taxes that are overdue, send:
- A signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the
taxes you owe; AND
- Documentation from the IRS or state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.

If you are applying for a disability exception to the testing requirement, send:
- An original Form N-648, “Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions,� completed less than 6 months ago by a licensed
medical or osteopathic doctor or licensed clinical psychologist.

If you did not register with the Selective Service and you 1) are male, 2) are 26 years old or older, and 3) lived in the United States
in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, send:
- A “Status Information Letter� from the Selective Service (Call 1-847-688-6888 for more information).

Originally Posted by Taterbug
Hey everyone! It has been a dog's age since I have been on here....love the new look of the forum. I have missed this site. Been on nightshift too long and finally got a position on days to join the "land of the living" again! LOL
I am getting ready to mail out my N-400 application and was wondering what documents I need to send out with it. Also, when I got the packet, there were only 2 sheets of paper with history questions for the study guide. Is there more to study than this??? Can anyone suggest any helpful websites to to get information to study or do I really need any more than the 2 papers they sent with my application?
Thanks to all. Patti

Old Jun 24th 2005, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Taterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud ofTaterbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Howdy Tater - nice to hear from you.

Try http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/English.pdf

They have the standard 100 questions included that you are tested on.

In terms of what to include, some of the instructions are outdated (i.e. they don't match the question numbers on the N-400) but it does let you know all the documents / info you need to include.

All applicants must send the following 3 things with their N-400 application:

1. A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Receipt Card or “Green Card�). If you have lost the card, submit a photocopy of the receipt of your Form I-90, Application to Replace Alien Registration Receipt Card;

2. Two (2) identical color photographs, with your name and “A� number written lightly in pencil on the back of each. For details about the photo requirements, see part 5 of A Guide to Naturalization and the Form M-378 instructions distributed with your application[note that standard passport photos are now required]. Do not wear eyeglasses or earrings for the photo. Note that if your religion requires you to wear a head covering, your facial features and your right ear must still be exposed in the photo for purposes of identification; AND

3. A check or money order for the application fee and the fingerprinting fee, as stated in the M-479 Current Naturalization Fees enclosure in the Guide. (Applicants 75 years of age or older are exempted from fingerprinting and the fingerprinting fee). Write your “A� number on the back of the check or money order.

Send COPIES of the following documents, unless we ask for an original.

If an attorney or accredited representative is acting on your behalf, send:
- A completed original Form G-28, “Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative.�

If your current legal name is different from the name on your Permanent Resident Card, send:
- The document(s) that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document).

If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following 4 things:

1. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:
• birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), OR
• naturalization certificate, OR
• certificate of citizenship, OR
• the inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport, OR
• Form FS240, “Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America�

2. Your current marriage certificate; AND

3. Proof of termination of ALL prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)); AND

4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:
• tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, OR
• IRS-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years, OR
• an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

If you were married before, send:
- Proof that ALL earlier marriages ended (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)).
If you were previously in the U.S. military service, send:
If you are currently in U.S. military service AND are seeking citizenship based on that service, send:
- A completed original Form N-426, “Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service;� AND

If you have taken any trip outside of the United States that lasted for 6 months or more since becoming a Permanent Resident, send evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work, and/or keep ties to the United States, such as:
- An IRS tax return “transcript� or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information for the last 5 years (or for the last 3 years if
you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen)
- Rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs.

If you have a dependent spouse or children who do not live with you, send:
- Any court or government order to provide financial support; AND
- Evidence of your financial support (including evidence that you have complied with any court or government order), such as:
• cancelled checks
• money order receipts
• a court or agency printout of child support payments
• evidence of wage garnishments
• a letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your children

If you answer “Yes� to any of questions 1 through 15 in Part 7, send:
If you answer “No� to any of questions 1 through 5 in Part 8, send:

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and no charges were filed filed, send:
- An original official statement by the arresting agency or applicable court confirming that no charges were filed.

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and charges were filed filed, send:
- An original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition for each incident (dismissal order, conviction
record, OR acquittal order).

If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program (such as a drug
treatment or community service program), send:
- An original or court-certified copy of the sentencing record for each incident; AND
- Evidence that you completed your sentence:
• An original or certified copy of your probation or parole record, OR
• Evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program

If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged, or otherwise removed from your record, send:
- An original or court-certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging, or otherwise removing the
arrest or conviction, OR an original statement from the court that no record exists of your arrest or conviction.

If you have ever failed to file an income tax return since you became a Permanent Resident, send:
- All correspondence with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regarding your failure to file.

If you have any federal, state, or local taxes that are overdue, send:
- A signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the
taxes you owe; AND
- Documentation from the IRS or state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.

If you are applying for a disability exception to the testing requirement, send:
- An original Form N-648, “Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions,� completed less than 6 months ago by a licensed
medical or osteopathic doctor or licensed clinical psychologist.

If you did not register with the Selective Service and you 1) are male, 2) are 26 years old or older, and 3) lived in the United States
in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, send:
- A “Status Information Letter� from the Selective Service (Call 1-847-688-6888 for more information).
Thanks a million for the information Sphy! I am in the process of citizenship and working on my BSN at the same time. It sure would be nice to complete both of these at the same time! Thanks once again. Good to see you still on the forum.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 3:52 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taterbug
Thanks to all. Patti

Retrieved my record of what I sent to TSC in April for my N-400 application. This is what I sent them:

photocopy of:
front and back of my Green Card
copy of USC spouse's passport (picture page and the page with personal info on)
copy of marriage certificate

plus:
photos (not ADIT) x 2 (with name and A. no. on back of each)
tax transcripts for three years (in my case, I sent the three most recent, i.e. 2001, 2002, 2003)
and not forgetting a money order for $390.00 ($320.00 + fingerprint fee of $70.00)

NB: Didn't include a cover letter.