Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 documentation list and questions

N-400 documentation list and questions

Old Jun 24th 2021, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

chesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default N-400 documentation list and questions

Hi,

I arrived on an IR-1 (not CR-1) visa in autumn 2017, and am about to file my N-400 on the basis of three years' residency while married to a USC.

My wife and I married in 2008 and lived in the UK from that point until 2017.

I had some questions about the N-400:

1. They say they want three years' documentation. Because I became a resident nearly four years ago, should I supply four years' worth, just to be sure? Some of our 2017-18 documents are not that accessible (would take half a day to dig out), so I only want to supply them if it's beneficial.
2. Our checking account statements contain all our transactions, etc. Can I supply only the page that shows our joint address?
3. I am submitting the following under 'additional evidence'. Is it sufficient?

- Joint checking account statements going back three years
- IRS transcripts (for 2017-19: we requested an extension for 2020, and have not yet filed, but can of course supply the extension request)
- Rental contract for the house we rented from 2017-2020, renewed annually
- Purchase contract for the house we bought in 2020 (the mortgage is in my name only so no benefit to submitting mortgage info)
- Joint homeowners' insurance for house we bought in 2020 (I hope to dig out renters' insurance docs from our previous house as well)
- Joint car insurance going back three years
- 401k and IRA/investment account beneficiary screenshots
- Kids' birth certificates (from both before and after our move to the US)

(Annoyingly, all our utility bills and CC statements are in one name or the other. Is it still beneficial to submit them on the grounds that they have the same address?)

Edit: Also, for the 'party or group affiliations' question, I had some memberships of some utterly non-controversial and boring associations 10-20 years ago, but I've forgotten the dates. Digging out the dates would take huge amounts of time. Is it possible to give approximate dates with a note saying I can't remember the precise dates? Or even leave the dates out altogether? The DS-260 did not ask for the dates, just the names.

Also, I've learnt tons from reading others' questions on this forum since I joined a very long time ago, so I just want to take this chance to thank everybody for the seriously useful information that this forum provides. Life in the U.S. has been good to me so far, and I hope it works out for everyone here.

Regards
CF

Last edited by chesterton_fan; Jun 24th 2021 at 9:10 pm. Reason: See part in bold
Old Jun 24th 2021, 11:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 documentation list and questions

1. Just the most recent 3 years
2. Yes
3. That's more than enough
4. Approximate dates are fine

Rene
Old Jun 25th 2021, 12:41 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Your list looks good to me
Old Jun 26th 2021, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

chesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies... and I should mention, I guess, that my association membership dates are reasonable estimates?
Old Jun 26th 2021, 1:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chesterton_fan
Thanks for the replies... and I should mention, I guess, that my association membership dates are reasonable estimates?
You don't have to mention that in the N-400, no.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2021, 4:42 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chesterton_fan
Hi,

I arrived on an IR-1 (not CR-1) visa in autumn 2017, and am about to file my N-400 on the basis of three years' residency while married to a USC.

My wife and I married in 2008 and lived in the UK from that point until 2017.

I had some questions about the N-400:

1. They say they want three years' documentation. Because I became a resident nearly four years ago, should I supply four years' worth, just to be sure? Some of our 2017-18 documents are not that accessible (would take half a day to dig out), so I only want to supply them if it's beneficial.
2. Our checking account statements contain all our transactions, etc. Can I supply only the page that shows our joint address?
3. I am submitting the following under 'additional evidence'. Is it sufficient?

- Joint checking account statements going back three years
- IRS transcripts (for 2017-19: we requested an extension for 2020, and have not yet filed, but can of course supply the extension request)
- Rental contract for the house we rented from 2017-2020, renewed annually
- Purchase contract for the house we bought in 2020 (the mortgage is in my name only so no benefit to submitting mortgage info)
- Joint homeowners' insurance for house we bought in 2020 (I hope to dig out renters' insurance docs from our previous house as well)
- Joint car insurance going back three years
- 401k and IRA/investment account beneficiary screenshots
- Kids' birth certificates (from both before and after our move to the US)

(Annoyingly, all our utility bills and CC statements are in one name or the other. Is it still beneficial to submit them on the grounds that they have the same address?)

Edit: Also, for the 'party or group affiliations' question, I had some memberships of some utterly non-controversial and boring associations 10-20 years ago, but I've forgotten the dates. Digging out the dates would take huge amounts of time. Is it possible to give approximate dates with a note saying I can't remember the precise dates? Or even leave the dates out altogether? The DS-260 did not ask for the dates, just the names.

Also, I've learnt tons from reading others' questions on this forum since I joined a very long time ago, so I just want to take this chance to thank everybody for the seriously useful information that this forum provides. Life in the U.S. has been good to me so far, and I hope it works out for everyone here.

Regards
CF
I am amused at the comment about boring and inconsequential memberships. On two occasions I had clients who had been in organizations that morphed into listing on the US list of terrorist organizations.

You are probably right that they are inconsequential, but weird things can happen.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You don't have to mention that in the N-400, no.

Rene
Actually you do. Part 12, question 9.

OP, this is the one part that I was asked for further info on during my interview at the beginning of this year. It’s good to get input from people who’ve actually been through it. I was asked about my involvement with a charitable organization some 15 years ago. All I did was help raise money for warm winter clothes!

I submitted less evidence than you for the “ongoing marital union” (filed under the 3-year rule after coming here with an IR-1). I also took some more stuff with me on the day. Due to COVID I wasn’t even allowed to have my evidence file with me. It was locked in a drawer and I was told if they wanted anything from it they’d ask for it. Nothing was asked for. The drawer was unlocked at the end of the interview and I took the untouched file out.

I have an obvious medical condition (it’s obvious from my appearance what treatment I’m having) and it became “the elephant in the room” and she was more concerned that I might need to rest and even asked me if holding a pen would be a problem for me (“due to your situation”) to do the writing test. I think she spent more time looking through the book to find the shortest permissible sentence for the writing test than she did on anything else.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by steph0scope

OP, this is the one part that I was asked for further info on during my interview at the beginning of this year. It’s good to get input from people who’ve actually been through it. I was asked about my involvement with a charitable organization some 15 years ago. All I did was help raise money for warm winter clothes!.
His question was whether he had to state that the dates are an approximation. He does not have to state that.

Rene
Old Jul 8th 2021, 11:38 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

He wasn't asking if he had to mention the charitable organizations, only if that the dates were approximate. I would mention it at interview, but there isn't anywhere to stipulate it on the N400.

I went through it a couple of years ago, since you seem to place a high value on recent experience.