Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 application incomplete -- help please

Wikiposts

N-400 application incomplete -- help please

Old Aug 21st 2002, 1:21 am
Jessica

Default N-400 application incomplete -- help please

Hi,

My husband is applying for naturalization, and he just mailed the N-400 form and the
$260 check, without knowing that he needed to attach photos and some other supporting
files, as well as the $50 for finger printing.

What should we do now? Should we wait for the application to be returned to us? (Is
this going to take a long time?) Should we just disregard the incomplete application
and file a new and complete one? Should we cancel the check? Or should we mail only
the attachments to INS Vermont? Are they going to be smart enough to be able to
associate the attachments to the original application?

Any suggestions would be greately appreciated.

Jessica

Old Aug 21st 2002, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: N-400 application incomplete -- help please

I filed my N400 without enclosing the check for fingerprinting to Texas. About 2 weeks later I got a Receipt Notice, giving me a Receipt Date and a Prority Date (Both the same), but saying that the application was on hold, waiting for the check for the fingerprints. I sent the check straight off and got an appointment for fingerprinting within 6 weeks,

Hope this helps

Simon
Old Aug 21st 2002, 6:52 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Jessica wrote:

> My husband is applying for naturalization, and he just mailed the N-400 form and
    > the $260 check, without knowing that he needed to attach photos and some other
    > supporting files, as well as the $50 for finger printing.
    > What should we do now? Should we wait for the application to be returned to us?

You should wait for INS to ask you for the missing items.

(Is this going to take a long time?)

It will not take long for INS to ask for the proper fee. I'm not sure about the other
items. Eventually, you will be asked for them.

Should we just
    > disregard the incomplete application and file a new and complete one?

I wouldn't do that.

> Should we cancel the check?

No.

Or should we mail only the attachments to
    > INS Vermont? Are they going to be smart enough to be able to associate the
    > attachments to the original application?

Never in a million years. It would be like throwing them into a black hole. You
must wait until INS asks you for them.

Old Aug 21st 2002, 9:21 am
Liwen Liang

You don't need to do anything. My brother did the same thing, and INS just sent
another letter asking for the finger-print fee... It should be soon enough, when they
realized you only sent in $260... [email protected] (Jessica) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Hi,
    > My husband is applying for naturalization, and he just mailed the N-400 form and
    > the $260 check, without knowing that he needed to attach photos and some other
    > supporting files, as well as the $50 for finger printing.
    > What should we do now? Should we wait for the application to be returned to us?
    > (Is this going to take a long time?) Should we just disregard the incomplete
    > application and file a new and complete one? Should we cancel the check? Or should
    > we mail only the attachments to INS Vermont? Are they going to be smart enough to
    > be able to associate the attachments to the original application?
    > Any suggestions would be greately appreciated.
    > Jessica