British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   N-400 application. Attorney or not? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/n-400-application-attorney-not-890913/)

caleyjag Jan 31st 2017 4:24 pm

N-400 application. Attorney or not?

Had a quick search for previous threads and nothing jumped out at me.

I've just hit the 5-year mark on my green card and keen to move forward and look down a passport before Trump decides Scottish people are a major threat to national security.

As far as I can tell my case is straightforward. I don't have any dings on my record, or any other complications I can think of.

Is there any real need to employ an attorney or can I just save some money and do it all myself?

I had attorneys for my O-1 application and they were a godsend there, but this seems quite simple in comparison.

Am I missing something?

Rete Jan 31st 2017 4:29 pm

Re: N-400 application. Attorney or not?

Nope. not missing a thing. Form N-400 is straightforward and simple to complete. 6 to 8 month from applying you will be a US Citizen.

tom169 Jan 31st 2017 4:30 pm

I've not gone through the process myself, but from reading this forum it seems that people with a boring history can do it all themselves and save some $$!

Jerseygirl Jan 31st 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 12166779)
Had a quick search for previous threads and nothing jumped out at me.

I've just hit the 5-year mark on my green card and keen to move forward and look down a passport before Trump decides Scottish people are a major threat to national security.

As far as I can tell my case is straightforward. I don't have any dings on my record, or any other complications I can think of.

Is there any real need to employ an attorney or can I just save some money and do it all myself?

I had attorneys for my O-1 application and they were a godsend there, but this seems quite simple in comparison.

Am I missing something?

It can easily be done without lawyers. We had the company Imm. lawyers to do our L visas and GC...but hubby did our citizenship applications. 10 years ago now...daughter got hers through in 3 months...ours was 6.

Good luck.

Nutmegger Jan 31st 2017 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 12166779)

Completely unnecessary. I did mine before the Internet when one had to request the form to be sent via the mail and there were no forums like this. Just filled it in and sent it back, very straightforward.

caleyjag Jan 31st 2017 4:57 pm

Good. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll do it tonight!

AliciaA Jan 31st 2017 5:23 pm

Good luck! I agree with everyone else. It was no harder than the previous applications in my opinion. And since the fees are already so steep, I think saving money is a good thing.

My husband is also a Scot. We submitted his N-400 in November, got his fingerprints and photos done on December 1st and are now 'in line' for an interview.

Pulaski Jan 31st 2017 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by AliciaA (Post 12166876)
.... and are now 'in line' for an interview.

Ah yes, the interview! :rolleyes:

Back in 2007, my interview was an hour long, which appeared to be standard, of which 10 minutes was spent on the matter in hand. The rest was spent shooting the breeze about, in no particular order: the Falklands war, the Gulf war(s), Saddam Hussein and other Middle Eastern despots, the (then current) Afghan war and previous conflicts in Afghanistan, the method of government in the UK, the Royal family, the history of the Royal family and how it relates to the government of the UK, including the Act of Union, renovating houses, in the UK and US, rewiring work and electrical standards, plumbing, roofs, and other sundry construction topics, such as hardwood flooring, crawlspaces the joys of working in them, and how to deal with the dirt, damp, and the bugs and critters you might find down there. It was a busy hour! :nod:

Er, YMMV. :o

ian-mstm Jan 31st 2017 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12166911)
Back in 2007, my interview was an hour long, which appeared to be standard, of which 10 minutes was spent on the matter in hand.

Ten minutes? What a slacker! :eek: At my naturalization interview in 2004 I was in and out of the office in 8.5 minutes.

Ian

Pulaski Jan 31st 2017 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12166988)
Ten minutes? What a slacker! ..... At my naturalization interview in 2004 I was in and out of the office in 8.5 minutes. ....

Sorry, I didn't realize it was a race. :(

RayAme Feb 1st 2017 3:36 am

I applied just before the price hike in Dec. Posted papers about dec 10. All filled out myself enclosing everything they asked for. I had my Biometrics done Jan 25th in Buffalo. I was told by the person doing bio's that I should hear from them in a couple of months. Fingers crossed before end of summer.

RICH Feb 1st 2017 4:06 am

Originally Posted by RayAme (Post 12167291)
I applied just before the price hike in Dec. Posted papers about dec 10. All filled out myself enclosing everything they asked for. I had my Biometrics done Jan 25th in Buffalo. I was told by the person doing bio's that I should hear from them in a couple of months. Fingers crossed before end of summer.

Possibly before the end of Winter /Spring, even.:fingerscrossed:

TimandRae Feb 1st 2017 2:23 pm

Just make sure you download the right copy of the form!

I'm completing mine, got all the way through and on a whim decided to check the USCIS website. Sure enough, there was a new version dated December 26 2016. The version I'd completed was dated March 26 2016.

Of course absolutely nothing had changed in the form itself. However, I had memories of strongly worded advice on this forum to make sure you send the right version of the form through or it will be rejected...

RayAme Feb 3rd 2017 2:24 am

TimandRae, I received a Form I-797C, Notice of Action dated Dec 20th 2016 as there received date acknowledging my fee of $680.00. It stated that upon receipt of all required Recod Checks II will be scheduled to appear for an interview at my local USCIS office. I had my biometrics done Jan 25th 2017. No interview I was told by the officer doing the Biometrics that I will hear in a couple of months.
I think I sent in the correct N-400 as it was posted and received by USCIS ny Dec 20th 2016. But its a good thing you noticed as it will make others aware.