N-400 - affiliations?

Old May 18th 2012, 12:48 am
Just Joined

BeataB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default N-400 - affiliations?

Hello,

I've been in the US 10 years, but I am new to this forum. I am applying for US citizenship, and have a potentially stupid question about Part 10, Section B of the N-400 form.

Where they ask "have you ever been a member of any society" etc...what do they want to know about? For example, I was a member of the Costume Society of America for a few years (paid membership dues, got a magazine every year). Do they want to know that? I only ask because the rest of the section is all about rather more serious affiliations, such as being a communist or a Nazi or a terrorist. I don't want to put down something incredibly irrelevant if that is not necessary! Also, it seems like a section where saying yes to anything is bad news, so again, I don't want to misinterpret this question.

How did other people approach this question? Any advice? Thanks!
Old May 18th 2012, 12:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 - affiliations?

Better to list it, even if you think it's not anything important.

Rene
Old May 18th 2012, 1:37 am
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

I entered BoatUS member and My Church affiliation, when I filled it out. I suspect this section is intended to be used against you in case it is later discovered you were a member of an association with criminal ties that you did not disclose. (Wild thought)
Old May 18th 2012, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I belong to some professional associations and a few hobby clubs. I listed them all on the N400. During my interview, the officer asked if I still belonged to the organizations. I said "yes", and he moved on to the next question. It was a non-event.
Old May 18th 2012, 3:31 am
Just Joined

BeataB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! My initial instinct was to put down the professional associations I belong to, but then when I was checking through the form for mistakes, I thought maybe that wasn't necessary. Glad to see that it won't be an issue if I do put them down. Incidentally, I don't belong to any of them at the moment.