My VISA WAIVER (VWP)EXPIRED....

Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:25 pm
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default My VISA WAIVER (VWP)EXPIRED....

Hi Folks. I'm a brit here who had a Visa waiver activated on 27th December. The thing is I had to be in canada and didn't really use it.

So can I apply for a new one? as I didn't use it all to travel to the US?

Thanks
-BritNewb
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:26 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My VISA WAIVER (VWP)EXPIRED....

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
Hi Folks. I'm a brit here who had a Visa waiver activated on 27th December. The thing is I had to be in canada and didn't really use it.

So can I apply for a new one? as I didn't use it all to travel to the US?

Thanks
-BritNewb
Your post doesn't make any sense. You have an approved ESTA from December 2014? They're valid for 2 years unless your circumstances change.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

There is no document for a visa waiver - the clue is in the name - it's a waiver for a visa!

Therefore, there is nothing to worry about if you didn't even travel to the US!

Unless, of course, it's not the VWP you're talking about.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:45 pm
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute

its the 90 day tourist one

this one->
Frequently Asked Questions about the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

so the 90 days has run out. Can I reapply ? as I didn't travel to the usa?
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

You applied for ESTA which is authorization to use the VWP.

Approved ESTA lasts for two years.

Any single trip using the VWP must be less than 90 days.

If your travel plans change you may update an already approved ESTA.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:57 pm
Banned

woah- hang on. Sorry for silly question. So if the 90 days is up. I can still travel there?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

woah- hang on. Sorry for silly question. So if the 90 days is up. I can still travel there?
Did you ever enter the US?

If not, then there is no "90 days" to be "up" in the first place and you can seek to enter the US at any time during the 2 year validity period of your ESTA.

If you did enter the US *and* you left within 90 days then you can seek to enter the US again under the VWP.

The tricky bit comes if you enter the US, leave within 90 days to an adjacent territory (Canada or Mexico) and *then* try to reenter the US. In that case you will usually only be admitted for the remainder of the original 90 day period running from your original entry to the US. You mentioned Canada in your post but I can't tell whether this is the situation that you are in.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:06 am
Banned

No I didn't enter the USA. i stayed in Toronto and I'm here now. Would like to travel to chicargo. So at the moment I dont have to do anything in terms of my already approved ESTA document right?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

You just need to comply with the terms of the VWP which includes having proof of return or onward tickets that will get you out of the US again within the 90 days allowed by the VWP.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:18 am
Banned

perfect! Thanks folks for clearing it up Guess the VWP was worth the fee .. 2 years huh? Cool
Old Mar 25th 2015, 12:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

perfect! Thanks folks for clearing it up Guess the VWP was worth the fee .. 2 years huh? Cool
It wasn't "the VWP"! ..... As several others have already said, it was ESTA. The VWP and ESTA are completely different things, though having an ESTA entitles you to use the VWP. Clear?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 8:24 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Just make you sure you re-read this thread very carefully, and Google "Visa Waiver program" (and read it!) before travelling.

That way, we won't be reading a thread from you like this one in 91 days: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...fficer-842905/
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:17 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Did you transit the US on the way to Canada and receive a stamp? If so, the border guards have the discretion to give a new 90 days even if the person only departed to contiguous territory or adjacent islands.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

AdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant futureAdsUK has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It wasn't "the VWP"! ..... As several others have already said, it was ESTA. The VWP and ESTA are completely different things, though having an ESTA entitles you to use the VWP. Clear?
I have the opinion that most infrequent visitors to the US will still refer to the whole process as the "VWP". The misunderstanding isn't likely to cause issue at the PoE.