Wikiposts

Is my kid a US Citizen?

Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

MalingJemuran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is my kid a US Citizen?

I'm a naturalized US Citizen for the last 2 years, prior to this I was a GC holder living in the US for a long time. I'm planning to get married soon and moved outside the US for a brief moment and plan to have family soon after that. We had decided the kid(s) to be born outside the US. When the law said (see the bold) means 5 years as US Citizen or anytime 5 years living in the US? My wife is definitely not a US Citizen yet by that time.

Will my future kid(s) a US Citizen at birth?

Thanks

Through birth abroad to one United States citizen

For persons born on or after November 14, 1986, a person is a U.S. citizen if all of the following are true:
1. One of the person's parents was a U.S. citizen when the person in question was born;
2. The citizen parent lived at least 5 years in the United States before his or her child's birth;
3. A minimum of 2 of these 5 years in the United States were after the citizen parent's 14th birthday.

A person's record of birth abroad, if registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy, is proof of his or her citizenship. Such a person may also apply for a passport or a Certificate of Citizenship to have a record of his or her citizenship. Such documentation is often useful to prove citizenship in lieu of the availability of an American birth certificate.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:30 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my kid a US Citizen?

Yes, the child of married parents, one of which is a US citizen that lived in the US for five years or more prior to the child's birth, is a US citizen. It doesn't matter whether you lived in the US for five years prior or after getting citizenship. But you need to carry proof of your living in the US.

Originally Posted by MalingJemuran
I'm a naturalized US Citizen for the last 2 years, prior to this I was a GC holder living in the US for a long time. I'm planning to get married soon and moved outside the US for a brief moment and plan to have family soon after that. We had decided the kid(s) to be born outside the US. When the law said (see the bold) means 5 years as US Citizen or anytime 5 years living in the US? My wife is definitely not a US Citizen yet by that time.

Will my future kid(s) a US Citizen at birth?

Thanks
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You can read up on the procedure to follow here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...first_828.html
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

MalingJemuran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dreamercon
Yes, the child of married parents, one of which is a US citizen that lived in the US for five years or more prior to the child's birth, is a US citizen. It doesn't matter whether you lived in the US for five years prior or after getting citizenship. But you need to carry proof of your living in the US.
Thanks... it is clear now. Thanks much.