Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

My Green (ish) Green Card.....an all too late update on my AOS process!

My Green (ish) Green Card.....an all too late update on my AOS process!

Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of
Default My Green (ish) Green Card.....an all too late update on my AOS process!

Hello All,

I apologise for not updating sooner, but life has somewhat been in the way as life tends to be. Its been births, marriages, and unfortunately deaths in the last month or two, so I haven't had chance to check back on the site and read the most recent threads.

So, as the thread title suggests my green card go approved and arrived in the mail! It happened about a month back, oddly enough when my parents were over visiting. I didnt think it was coming, and as I had heard a whole lot of nothing since I got my EAD and my AP I figured I would sign up for the online email alerts related to my case. Then on September 11th I got the email I had been waiting for, they had approved my status change and were beginning production on my green card. The email said they would notify me of my change of status by mail and then to expect my green card to arrive 30 days after it went into production. Then I got an email a few days later saying my green card was officially being produced. Oddly enough the actual green card itself arrived before the letter to say they were mailing it! Go figure It arrived about a week or so after my email. Thats pretty quick in my book....and its actuall green....well green ish!

So now I am officially here. It feels great, its a massive relief to not have to have all those other bits and pieces to prove I'm here. Next job on my list is to go and get my drivers licence....and I'm not looking forward to having to take the test! GA has a parallel park on the practical exam and I nearly failed back in the UK on that.

Thanks to all on here who helped guide me through the process and to those who posted useful wiki's or threads about their application process. I hope to sit down one day this week and post an actual timeline thread here.

Other than that, I now need to get on and get my name on my passport changed, I have already done the research and found the information line number for those expats living here in the US.Has anybody here gone through this, and if so, were you able to get back your old passport? I figured it may be important to have it back as it has my K-1 Visa in it in case I need it for something?

Also, I guess I need to think about getting my conditions taken off my green card. I read through the forum here a while ago, and I hope I am still right in thinking that you have to file 90 days before your card is due for renewal. Does that mean have the form at USCIS at the 90 day mark, or have it in the mail by 90 days? I'm also a little concerned as the leaflet that came with my green card recommended you file for the conditions several months in advance....should I be starting this process now?

Thanks for all your help, and thanks in advance for the continuing support that you all provide!

As we say in the south.....have a good day y'all!
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Green (ish) Green Card.....an all too late update on my AOS process!

Congratulations!

Regarding removing conditions, you will need to file the I-751 during the 90-day window just prior to your current 2-year card's expiration date. Don't file it before that 90-day window, it will get rejected. Don't file it after that 90-day window, you risk losing PR status. File it sometime within that 90-day window.

Rene
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

ajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud ofajmstevenson has much to be proud of
Default Re: My Green (ish) Green Card.....an all too late update on my AOS process!

Thanks for your quick reply! I appreciate it. I just wandered over to the USCIS website and it seems like they have far more information on there now than when I first began this process.

I was surprised at just how green it was. I was alo surprised to find it came with this little envelope that says on it is for storing your green card to protect it and prevent wireless communication with it. It all sounds far too high tech for me. Although I do like the fact the back of the card has a big shiny panel in it with my photo and all my information on in minuature! I like shiny things lol! Im such a magpie!
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajmstevenson
I was surprised at just how green it was.
I think they changed the design recently and made it greener.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I think they changed the design recently and made it greener.
It went back to being green in May of this year.