Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

My Green Card application table of contents

My Green Card application table of contents

Old Nov 20th 2009, 5:52 am
Account Closed

Andrew N is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Green Card application table of contents

OK thanks Rene. On advice from these posts I will omit the Declaration of Informal Marriage from my submission. Great advice.

Mr. Folinsky thank you for your input, however I understood your tone not to be entirely friendly to me.

All that OP has bothered to give us was a conclusion that Texas won't recognize it. He gives no basis for that little conclusion.
I was the original poster ("OP"), and your comment as typed is directed completely at me, not jeffehry. I may have completely misunderstood, in which case you need to be clearer about what you are trying to say so as not to offend.

In particular, Brits have trouble internalizing the fact that the U.S. has a Federal system of government. This has caused some misunderstandings here. This happens and is nothing to get upset about.
I am not confused about the US Federal system of government, and certainly have no problem "internalizing" it. It is certainly not causing me any upset, and I am not sure where you got that idea.

Andrew
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew N

Mr. Folinsky thank you for your input, however I understood your tone not to be entirely friendly to me.

I was the original poster ("OP"), and your comment as typed is directed completely at me, not jeffehry. I may have completely misunderstood, in which case you need to be clearer about what you are trying to say so as not to offend.
Andrew:

My apologies if you were offended. However, I would ask that you re-read this thread for context. Also, please re-read my post from which you pulled the quoted phrase -- again, please read for context.

I believe that all I had said what that I had questions. Quite often, that is created by an incomplete fact statement. If I had been acting as your lawyer [which I am not], you and I would have had a long conversation to "dig" for the needed facts.

I will admit that I tend to be personally annoyed when some posters play lawyer and don't know the methods. However, I try not to be one of those condescending "know-it-all" professionals. Again, if you re-read this thread, you will see that I was concerned with what I did not know.

Good luck.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 10:46 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.......Mr. Folinsky thank you for your input, however I understood your tone not to be entirely friendly to me.
Andrew
Mr F does not have an unfriendly bone in his body. Any poster who is lucky enough to have him take an interest in his/her case should be duly grateful.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Mr F does not have an unfriendly bone in his body. Any poster who is lucky enough to have him take an interest in his/her case should be duly grateful.
Hi:

Thanks for the compliment. However, this thread is the "straw that beaks the camel's back." I am resigning BE.

However, please be advised that I sent an apology to OP including an explanation of the nature of our misunderstanding.

I just received a vehement refusal to accept the apology. The apology was "hollow" because I explained what I was thinking.

Also, he was not pissed at the responses, only at mine. And three other people agreed with him that my responses had the wrong tone.

I had ended with the note that I do not write the first thing that comes to my mind. His reaction was that he would "not sink that low" to even respond.

I have always felt that one of missions here was to educate people on how not to shoot themselves in the figurative foot. However, I have noted a steady decline in the quality of the postings here.

I've had it. Goodbye.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't quite understand the condescending and aggressive nature of some comments...
The only people you've hurt here are the long-time posters who not only value Mr. Folinsky's input but consider him a friend... and *EVERY* future poster who could have benefited from his experience.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Ian
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute

I have always felt that one of missions here was to educate people on how not to shoot themselves in the figurative foot. However, I have noted a steady decline in the quality of the postings here.
Yeah, people love to shoot themselves in the foot by ignoring good free immigration advice and focusing on emotions.

One wrong move or advice can turn something from typical to atypical.

This is like educating a pig, you waste your time, and then the pig gets annoyed....Anon.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:29 am
Account Closed

Well this is being blown out of all proportion. Anyone can read the posts to see what was said. Mr. F's summary of our exchange is not accurate. For one, I received a long private message from Mr. F analysing my feelings, with a final point:

A long time ago, posts like yours were tagged with the derogatory term "binder boy." Hate to say this, my first reaction in my head was "son of binder boy!" Until I just typed this, it had stayed inside of my head."
That is what I said that I didn't want to sink so low to respond to.

My response was far from vehement, merely saying that I believed that if he had questions there were more polite ways to ask, or at least give me a chance to get back to the thread and join in the discussion.

I do understand Mr F's postings have been helpful and friendly to others, including me, however this does not give him free reign to be impolite, especially not to newcomers. If that is OK in this forum I wish to have no further part in it.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... this does not give him free reign to be impolite, especially not to newcomers.
As a newcomer, I'm sure you read the Site Rules prior to posting your first message, right? Specifically... #6.

If that is OK in this forum I wish to have no further part in it.
<deleted>
Ian

Last edited by Rete; Nov 23rd 2009 at 12:59 pm. Reason: Be nice!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 12:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Andrew

This has been blown way out of proportion. What you might preceive as rude is not seen as rude by others. Please note that the responders to your posts are not all Brits and are, in fact, of many different nationalities and Americans from many different states in the union. People vary from person to person in writing style and therefore, the tone of the post might not be what you think it is. And this is what has happened here.

Ian has pointed out one of our site rules, #6. This is in regards to your posting a sentence of someone's PM to you without their express permission to do so.

I was and am a binder boy. I was during all the submissions to the USCIS on behalf of my DH starting with the Fiancee Visa all the way through the N-400 naturalization process. It served me well and I encountered no problem with USCIS in doing this. It is a matter of preference.

While some attorneys who have the means to visit the service centers for guided tours have reported back that they do not like petitions sent to them in this manner since it means they must disassemble the binder and rearrange the items to their way of doing things, it is still up to you to send it in a manner you deem best. Being told the above by someone is not criticizm of your style per se, but a way of advising you of another, perhaps better, method of doing things.

So many we call a truce at this point and stop the back and forth volley of accusations and he said, I said?
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

Sorry I had not read that particular rule closely enough. Enough has been said. Please feel free to delete the whole thread - it has clearly gone way off topic.

For what it is worth I have been living and working in the US for a number of years now (and married to one), and am aware of many cultural differences. There is still room for learning I am sure. I hope Mr. F has not gone for good.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I had not read that particular rule closely enough. Enough has been said. Please feel free to delete the whole thread - it has clearly gone way off topic.

For what it is worth I have been living and working in the US for a number of years now (and married to one), and am aware of many cultural differences. There is still room for learning I am sure. I hope Mr. F has not gone for good.
Great to see you Andrew, I am glad to see you turning this toxic distasteful soup into a barrel of fresh sweet vanilla ice cream, something that all relish.

I think you should send Mr. F an email invite to relish this ice cream.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 12:41 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, binder boy was a term I came up with long ago when I would see people post questions about how to present their case to the CIS. Basically, I would say not to put evidence in plastic sleeves, and not in a binder (thus, don’t be a binder boy or binder girl). I could see with my own eyes (when touring service centers) that they just have to take it all apart and put it back together in the format they want, and by making them have to take it all apart you increase the odds of them losing something during this process.

It’s just a catch phrase used as a short-hand way to describe this type of thing (and a phrase that really never caught on and is rarely used on this website), not a putdown. Now if one said don’t be a stupid jerk binder boy, I could see that being a putdown :-).