Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

terminalvelociraptor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

Originally Posted by malden75
Hi All
Just received my passport back today, it is valid for one entry into the USA and expires on 27th December 2012.

Not very happy - was hoping it was going to be valid for a longer period and possibly more than one entry. I am being penalised for something I did 40 years ago.

Sorry to keep going on about that but I am very unhappy about it, for all the time trouble and money it has cost.
It seems to be standard operating procedure to issue a single entry visa on the first request. Subsequent requests for multiple entry long duration visa's seem to then be granted without much problem. Look at this one as a chance for you to show the US authorities that you are a trustworthy reformed character. It may not be fair, but thats just the way it is.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:45 am
Just Joined

malden75 is an unknown quantity at this point

If I decide to apply for another VISA for the USA, do you know whether the procedure takes as long as the first application?
Thanks Mal
Old Jan 4th 2012, 11:53 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malden75
Hi All
Just received my passport back today, it is valid for one entry into the USA and expires on 27th December 2012.

Not very happy - was hoping it was going to be valid for a longer period and possibly more than one entry. I am being penalised for something I did 40 years ago.

Sorry to keep going on about that but I am very unhappy about it, for all the time trouble and money it has cost.
Yes you are being penalised. But then you are a criminal. Why should you be trusted? As terminalvelociraptor has pointed out, this is your chance to prove otherwise to the US authorities.

My first waiver of ineligibility was also for 12 months and one visit only. I entered the USA on that document last year. On my return to the UK I applied again and now have another waiver that is valid for multiple entries. It still only lasts for 12 months however. The process for the second application was just the same as the first. Exactly the same.

I believe the guidance to consular officers states that waivers of longer duration than 12 months may be considered in certain circumstances, but in any case will not exceed a maximum duration of 5 years. The guidance also states that "Recommendations for multiple entry waivers of more than one year shall be reserved for cases of aliens who travel frequently to the United States." So if you're only travelling occasionally for holidays, that might be hard to justify.

It's all in here: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87150.pdf
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

terminalvelociraptor is an unknown quantity at this point

Email received today confirming i should send in my passport. Just over 21 weeks from interview.

Not strictly on topic, as my waiver was for overstay, not CIMT, but posting here for posterities sake.

Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terminalvelociraptor
Email received today confirming i should send in my passport. Just over 21 weeks from interview.

Not strictly on topic, as my waiver was for overstay, not CIMT, but posting here for posterities sake.

Great news for you at last! The return of passport should take 2 weeks or less. Please let us know what validity they've allowed on your waiver when you receive it.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

LJF48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, my daughter attended an interview in September 2011 and we still haven't heard anything - this will be the 2nd time she applied. The first occasion the visa arrived 3 days after we were all due to fly out so she had to cancel her flights and re booked the following feb (2011). This time we left plenty more time and it has now been 22 weeks, does any one have a similar experience with this time scale, or is any one who visited the embassy in Sept still waiting.

Many thanks
x
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LJF48
Hello, my daughter attended an interview in September 2011 and we still haven't heard anything - this will be the 2nd time she applied. The first occasion the visa arrived 3 days after we were all due to fly out so she had to cancel her flights and re booked the following feb (2011). This time we left plenty more time and it has now been 22 weeks, does any one have a similar experience with this time scale, or is any one who visited the embassy in Sept still waiting.

Many thanks
x
According to this recent post and the link contained within, the current waiting time is 20-22 weeks and can be longer in some cases:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...95#post9873195

I'm afraid you really just need to be patient. And please bear in mind that it is never a good idea to buy tickets or make travel arrangements until you have the visa in your hand.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I am relieved to know that it is not just us and that the waiting time is long. We are not looking to go for another 7 weeks so hopefully fingers x'd she will be able to join us
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I am relieved to know that it is not just us and that the waiting time is long. We are not looking to go for another 7 weeks so hopefully fingers x'd she will be able to join us
I hope it all works out for you. You really need to remember the turnround time for sending the passport to the embassy and then getting it back with the waiver attached can be as much as 2 weeks or more. So as things stand right now, you probably have little more than a month of contingency time if anything gets delayed.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

jayzy1 is on a distinguished road

Many thanks
x
My interview was on the 15th September 2011 and am still waiting for a reply!
its been 22 weeks now and still counting
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for letting me know, sometimes you wonder if it's personal. I guess they are just inundated with requests. Do you have a date that your going ?
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

GinGino has a spectacular aura aboutGinGino has a spectacular aura aboutGinGino has a spectacular aura about

24 weeks today and still waiting!! Good luck everyone
Old Mar 8th 2012, 11:25 am
Just Joined

jayzy1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jayzy1
My interview was on the 15th September 2011 and am still waiting for a reply!
its been 22 weeks now and still counting

Hooray! Just received email this morning that visa is ready to issue: (that's @25 weeks) DX mail service now want £25.50 for collection & return service.
Not much more info provided in the email. just as follows:

Dear Visa Applicant
Please be advised that we are now in a position to issue your U.S. visa. Please resubmit your passport to us for visa issuance. Note that you have 30 days from today in which to resubmit your passport.
Please be advised that if your passport is not received within this time your application will experience even further delays.
You must resubmit your passport via the Embassy-appointed courier service, The DX Mail Service. Once you are prepared to submit your passport for visa issuance please contact DX by telephone on 0871-562-6666 to arrange pickup of your passport and delivery back to you upon issuance of your visa. The courier service will not have any information about your visa processing.
Important Notice: Your application could take between 5 – 10 workdays to process once it has been received by the Embassy and this cannot be expedited. Once processing is complete, your passport will be handed to DX. A further one to two days should be allowed for delivery.
The Embassy cannot expedite your application once it has been received. Please do not call the Operator Assisted Information Line or email us concerning the progress of your application unless more than two weeks has passed since DX collected your documents, as we will not be able to provide you with any information.
We strongly advise that you do not purchase any tickets for travel to the United States or make irrevocable travel plans until after you have been issued a visa and your passport has been returned to you.
Highly detailed visa information is available from the Embassy's website at http://london.usembassy.gov. Due to our heavy workload, we cannot respond to email inquiries when the subject matter is addressed on the website.
We also cannot respond to requests for expedited processing, or nonimmigrant visa "case status" inquiries which are still within the estimated time frame given on the website, or by the interviewing Consular Officer, whichever is longer.
If you still have questions after reading all of the content on the website, please call the Embassy's Operator Assisted Information Service for personalized service. Contact information can be found on this page: http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/index.html.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

Great news for you at last then jayzy1! Please do everyone here a favour and report back on the validity and terms of your visa once the passport is returned.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi have just realised that i have replied to another thread and not this one, we got our visa acceptance on monday, that was 3 days short of 25 weeks, will update once the visa is returned xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.