Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

jayzy1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

My day out:

left midlands on the 5.45am train and got into London Kings Cross St pancras @7.15 and took a cab straight to the embassy as I wanted to get there early as possible. Cab cost £9.60 and took @10-15 mins and got dropped of right outside.

When I reached the embassy @ 7.45 there was a small queue of @30 people already outside.

1st security check was just to ensure you had the correct papers with you (i) appointment letter & (ii) Receipt letter (iii) DS-160 confirmation (i) passport, and also a warning not to take any electronic items inside including USB STICKS, Ipods, phones and HEADPHONES.

2nd security check was inside an enclosed sucurity (outside the embassy) where you walk through a scanner and all your bags etc get scanned like the airports. In front of me a person got stopped for having some USB STICKS inside the bag and was take to take them away and use the pharmacy up the road for depositing there.

You are then allowed into the embassy where the receptionist checks your papers once again and allocates you a number. It was now @8.15am when I got in so wasnt too bad.

waiting room was slowly filling up and had to wait @20 mins before my number came up and had to walk up to a counter where the person took all the paperwork, took fingerprints and asked you why you wanted to go to the US. this lated a mere 5-1o mins and was told to sit down again and wait for my number again.

Next wait was a little longer but not too long and I saw some people that came after me being caled up the 2nd time which led me to believe thay were filtering the applications depending on your circumstances.

I waited @ 1hr and my number came up which was a window round the corner where I was asked more info @my circumstances in details of each record on the police certificate. She typed away as I spoke. At the end she said that as I had travelled in the past to the US on the normal Visa Waiver Programme and must have ticked 'no previous convistions' on the landing card - meant that I had lied and that my visa was refused. I can tell you Iwas gutted at this stage. Then she said however that she was recommending me for the 'waiver of ineligibility of Visa' but will take 2 months to receive the final decision from the powers to be.

I was one of the very few who had to walk out without visiting the courier counter - you can imagine I was gutted.

I walked out @10.15am so the waiting wasnt too bad and I as I left I noticed that the queue was still not too bad with @30-50 people outside in the queue.

Anyone visiting please note : DO NOT teke any kind of electronic items even USB sticks, headphones or ipods etc as they will not be allowed in and they do not have any facilities to deposit these anywhere, apart from the independant pharmacy up the road.

Hope that helps someone.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good write up of your embassy visit jayzy1. Very informative and should help others in the same situation.

Just out of interest, were you expecting to get the B2 visa on the day?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

jayzy1 is on a distinguished road

yes I was, dont know why, but was under the impression that if you came clean they looked at it sympathetically especially as my offence was 30 years ago. I wish I just kept my mouth shut and not bothered with any of this and just took my chanches on the next visit.
Now I'm beginning to think that they only know what you tell them! (that's my personal opinion)
Old Sep 18th 2011, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Jonsie25 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Hi meg12 and welcome!

I'm sorry that you are finding the wait for your visa decision distressing. I'm currently waiting on one too, for a waiver of ineligibility, and it's now over 9 weeks so far. How long have you been waiting?
If you could keep us informed when you get your email that would be very helpful.

I visited the end of july so just after you, they told me 2 months even though the letter they gave me said 14-16 weeks!

Its really frustating not knowing be able to track in anyway, then praying that the email actually reaches me! What to visit the US asap!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 9:43 am
Just Joined

babyvampire is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and I went for an interview on the 4th August, I have a new job in Florida and need an L1 visa and my husband an L2, my husband already had been given a B2 visa previously which had been valid for 10 years, so were hoping that it would be easy to get the visas.

We duly went for the interview only for my husbands to be denied for the same reason as all of you - CMT - were given a form saying they were recommending him for a waiver of ineligibilty and to wait for an e-mail.

And so we wait - 6 weeks so far and not a dicky bird

The problem I have now is that the company I am going to is getting tetchy, I have been given my visa but I don't know what to do - if I go out there in advance and he doesn't get his visa I will have no job to come back to and I cannot leave him here for 3 years

I wish they could at least keep you informed as to timescales
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyvampire
The problem I have now is that the company I am going to is getting tetchy, I have been given my visa but I don't know what to do - if I go out there in advance and he doesn't get his visa I will have no job to come back to and I cannot leave him here for 3 years
If you were planning to stay in the US, it would be a good idea for you to investigate if your husband's criminal record would prevent him from obtaining a green card in the future. E.g. if his conviction involved drugs, then it might make him ineligible for permanent residence even if he qualifies for a non-immigrant waiver at this stage.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyvampire
We duly went for the interview only for my husbands to be denied for the same reason as all of you - CMT - were given a form saying they were recommending him for a waiver of ineligibilty and to wait for an e-mail.
I suggest they aren't going to apply for the waiver on his behalf. He should get himself an experienced immigration attorney, complete the waiver form, and submit it.

Ian
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I suggest they aren't going to apply for the waiver on his behalf. He should get himself an experienced immigration attorney, complete the waiver form, and submit it.

Ian
That isn't how these kinds of non-immigrant waivers work Ian. The embassy decide whether or not to make a recommendation for a waiver to DHS in Washington DC. There is no formal "application" from the person seeking the visa. The London embassy provide the applicant with form VCU R3 which details the reason for refusal of the visa, and explains the timescale/process of recommendation for the waiver. The applicant then simply waits to hear if DHS have agreed with the embassy recommendation or not.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

For anybody who isn't familiar with the non-immigrant waiver of ineligibility process, when an applicant appears for a visa interview and the consular official has determined they are ineligible; they then make a further decision whether or not to recommend the applicant for the waiver of ineligibility in accordance with the following:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87150.pdf

If the embassy do decide to recommend the applicant for the waiver of ineligibility, in the case of the London embassy they will issue form VCU R3 to the applicant. They will indicate on the form the reason(s) for finding the applicant ineligible. The text of form VCU R3 is as follows:

Dear Applicant:

We are unable to issue you a visa because you have been found ineligible for admission to the United States under the following section(s) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The item(s) marked with "X" pertain to your case. Please disregard the unmarked items.

212(a)(1)(A)(i): communicable disease of public health significance.
212(a)(1)(A)(iii): Physical or mental disorder or behaviour which may pose a threat to property or safety, and which is likely to recur.
212(a)(1)(A)(iv): Drug abuser or addict.
212(a)(2)(A)(i)(I): Crime(s) involving moral turpitude.
212(a)(2)(A)(i)(II): Violation or conspiracy to violate any laws or regulations relating to controlled substances.
212(a)(2)(B): Multiple criminal convictions (when sentenced to confinement for five years or more).
212(a)(2)(C)(i): Controlled substance trafficking or activities related thereto.
212(a)(6)(C)(i): Misrepresentation when applying for a visa or entry to the US.
212(a)(6)(E): Alien smuggling.
212(a)(9)(A)(i): Alien removed at the port of entry.
212(a)(9)(A)(ii): Alien ordered removed other than at the port of entry.
212(a)(9)(B)(i): Alien unlawfully present for less than one year.
212(a)(9)(B)(ii): Alien unlawfully present for one year or more.
Other:

Except as denoted by an asterisk, these are permanent ineligibilities; as a result of your ineligibility/ineligibilities, you cannot travel to the United States on the Visa Waiver Program at any time. Furthermore, you cannot travel to the United States unless you receive special permission to obtain a visa, known as a "waiver of ineligibility".

The approval of a waiver of ineligibility involves two different agencies: the Department of State (represented by this office) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Upon determining that you have ineligibility, we review your file and decide whether or not to recommend your case for a waiver, in accordance with US government regulations. If we are able to recommend you for a waiver of ineligibility, then the DHS evaluates your case and either grants or denies our waiver request. The final authority to grant or deny a waiver rests with the DHS.

Factors involved in the decision to recommend or grant a waiver include: the seriousness and frequency of any offense or immigration violations; the amount of time that has elapsed since the offense occured; the potential danger to public safety; and the necessity for, or urgency of, the proposed trip to the US.

Given the circumstances of your case, and based on the factors described above, we have decided to recommend a waiver of your ineligibility. If a consular supervisor agrees with this recommendation and DHS decides to grant your waiver, you will be issued with a limited-validity visa. The current waiting period for these two agencies to consider your case is approximately 14-16 weeks. We will contact you by email to let you know the outcome of your case. If your visa is ultimately approved, we will ask you to submit your passport (DX Courier) for visa issuance. Given that there is no guarantee your waiver will be granted, we recommend you refrain from making any travel commitments until the visa has been issued and returned to you.

Meanwhile if you need to contact the embassy regarding your visa application, please quote the reference number cited above.

Sincerely

Visa Coordination Unit
Old Sep 18th 2011, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

That isn't how these kinds of non-immigrant waivers work Ian.
I appreciate you catching my faux pas! Much appreciated. Thanks!

Ian
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 8:14 am
Just Joined

malden75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meg12
Hi Malden75, did you get your approved visa in time?, am in the same boat, waiting for a decision from the DHS. We go to Florida early October, I know am not going to get the visa in time (if approved), my husband, his mum and my two children are going to go, my children dont know that there mummy will have to stay at home. We cannot change the booking or destination as no availabilty, my hubby is destroyed about this, as he does not know how he can go without me. I dont know what I will say to people, I cant sleep and just so devastated.
Hi Meg12,
My interview was 3rd August, was due to fly out 11th September 2011 for three weeks. I am sorry to say that I still have not heard anything about my Visa. I did try to get and ESTA but it was rejected. Therefore I have had to cancel my flights to the USA, they were booked back in November last year, the airline said they could have put my flights on hold until beginning of November tnhis year, but as I has not heard anything re the VISA and was unable to travel before November we had to cancel. We have lost £1200 in flights, 140 dollars for the VISA, £70 for Police check plus £260 for travel and hotel to attend interview in London, as we live in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear, four nights hotel in Las Vegas, two weeks car hire, airport parking in Manchester, over £100 in telephone calls to the US Embassy at the rate of £1.23 per minute. Three weeks holiday. Nearly my marriage. We ended up booking a weeks holiday in Egypt and just got back last night. So all in all we have lost nearly £2000 for being trying to do the right thing plus the cost of the holiday in Egypt. My offense was nearly 40 years ago and so having to apply for the VISA would just be a formality but as you see it was not. Wish my wife had of kept her mouth shut.
Hope you get your VISA in time.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 9:37 am
Account Closed

Regardless of whatever verbal information you might receive from the official at your interview, the notes on the VCU R3 explicitly state the process can take 14-16 weeks. Reading through some recent experiences, it would appear the current waiting time for waivers of ineligibility is indeed about 16 weeks.

This post by KJSL mentions "applying" (which I assume refers to attending the interview) on 1 June and receiving the visa acceptance email on 9 September. The date of actually getting the passport and visa back from the embassy via DX courier service was 21 September.

The OP in this thread from rattiegyal mentions an interview date of 1 June also. Then the follow-up thread here, mentions receiving the visa and is posted on 20 September.

So there are two cases of people applying for B2 waivers back on 1 June and only now receiving their visas. Therefore if anybody had an interview around the beginning of August, it would seem a reasonable assumption to expect the visa around mid-November.

Last edited by materialcontroller; Sep 22nd 2011 at 9:48 am. Reason: Extra clarity
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Jonsie25 is on a distinguished road

Regardless of whatever verbal information you might receive from the official at your interview, the notes on the VCU R3 explicitly state the process can take 14-16 weeks. Reading through some recent experiences, it would appear the current waiting time for waivers of ineligibility is indeed about 16 weeks.

This post by KJSL mentions "applying" (which I assume refers to attending the interview) on 1 June and receiving the visa acceptance email on 9 September. The date of actually getting the passport and visa back from the embassy via DX courier service was 21 September.

The OP in this thread from rattiegyal mentions an interview date of 1 June also. Then the follow-up thread here, mentions receiving the visa and is posted on 20 September.

So there are two cases of people applying for B2 waivers back on 1 June and only now receiving their visas. Therefore if anybody had an interview around the beginning of August, it would seem a reasonable assumption to expect the visa around mid-November.
Its frustrating that they give false hope by saying 2 months then it turn into over 3!

When they told me 2 months i said i heard it was around 90 days, they responded with "how long is 90 days" i said 3 months, they then replied "well i said 2!"

Why say something thats not going to happen, not good service!
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jonsie25
Why say something thats not going to happen, not good service!
US government employees are not required to be accurate and, like the stock market, past performance is not an indication of future performance.

Ian
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 2:24 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I appreciate you catching my faux pas! Much appreciated. Thanks!

Ian
I've been following these non-immigrant waiver threads. From past experience from when I was in practice, I knew that most consular posts had locally generated forms for the applicant to complete regarding waiver requests. Out of my own curiosity -- the one for London is the VCU-1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.