my criminal past

Old Jan 6th 2004, 10:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my criminal past

Originally posted by Leslie66
Well if Turkish law is anything like the US, an arrest and a conviction are two different things. I think Sadegh would have known if he had been convicted.
I'm not good with terms like this....what would they have done differently if he were convicted?
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Noorah101
Just a quick question here....

When I posted that my fiance had been arrested for working illegally in Turkey 6 years ago, the general consensus was that he would not need a waiver, and that Ankara might question him on this, but it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

Now here is someone with criminal acts in his long-ago past and advice is to be prepared for needing a waiver.

Just wondering what the difference is? Is it the type or severity of the crime? Is it that he's had more than one offense? Just curious as to why one might need a waiver, and another one not.

Thanks for any insight....

Rene
Hi:

Type of offense. The OP was convicted of what fall under the rubric of "crimes involving moral turpitude." Fortunately for him, none of those crimes involve drugs. There was another poster who had two old marijuana convictions and he is upset at the "policy" of not even allowing him to file for a waiver. He seems to be quite clueless that if he was a murderer, then that would be a CIMT and a waiver could be applied for, but since he had two DRUG offenses, that is REALLY serious stuff and no waiver available.

Your beloved's crime did not involve either moral turpitude or drugs.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:02 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not good with terms like this....what would they have done differently if he were convicted?

Well that's when they would have threw the book at him. lol.

No I think, in a nutshell, there would have at least been a hearing and a sentence. Even if the sentence was a fine or something small. Perhaps the sentence would have been deportation if he had hung around.

Wonder what the legal eagles think.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Type of offense. The OP was convicted of what fall under the rubric of "crimes involving moral turpitude." Fortunately for him, none of those crimes involve drugs. There was another poster who had two old marijuana convictions and he is upset at the "policy" of not even allowing him to file for a waiver. He seems to be quite clueless that if he was a murderer, then that would be a CIMT and a waiver could be applied for, but since he had two DRUG offenses, that is REALLY serious stuff and no waiver available.

Your beloved's crime did not involve either moral turpitude or drugs.
Cool, Mr. F! Thanks! :-)
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:06 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by michael of elth
hi i am hopeing to move to usa this year i have criminal convictions which i have on my police certifacate.
2 counts of actull bodly harm
1 criminal damage all from 1977 conviction 100 hours community service £ 50 fine

2 counts of burglary and theft both convictions £50 each 1975 and 1982 was last one these are spent in uk does it work same in usa
Just a side-bar, but wow. I didn't realize that the UK police keep records of such acts so far back. So the records never get purged? Wow.

Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Cool, Mr. F! Thanks! :-)

Oh yeah!! The moral turpitude thingy. We forgot all about that.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that's when they would have threw the book at him. lol.

No I think, in a nutshell, there would have at least been a hearing and a sentence. Even if the sentence was a fine or something small. Perhaps the sentence would have been deportation if he had hung around.

Wonder what the legal eagles think.
Hi:

On the admissiblity end of things, unlike the removal end of things, you don't need a 'conviction." An "admission" may be enough [there is a court case which I don't recall the name of offhand where a Filipino informed the medical examiner that "yes, I have smoked marijuana" in the past" -- and this admission created the bar to getting a visa].

Also, it is also the TYPE of crime that counts -- not all offenses lead to inadmissiblity. For example, grand theft auto is a CIMT and bars admissiblity, while "joy riding" [a species of temporary theft] is NOT a CIMT. On the removal end of things though, "joy riding" is a "theft crime" and therefore an "aggravated felony" and gets you deported with no waiver available. You are better off BEFORE getting the green card. Go figure.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

michael of elth is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah!! The moral turpitude thingy. We forgot all about that.
in uk there spent crimes but stay on file and cant be used to discrimenate against me i have never been turned away from usa so far
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:11 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patent Attorney
Just a side-bar, but wow. I didn't realize that the UK police keep records of such acts so far back. So the records never get purged? Wow.
I once arrested someone who's record showed a conviction from 1945. I wish I could remember the name of the act. It was something to do with looting bomb sites during WWII.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:23 pm
Franklin

in uk there spent crimes but stay on file and cant be used to discrimenate against me i have never been turned away from usa so far
Do things like moving traffic violations or parking tickets stay indefinitely on file (in the UK) too?

Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

michael of elth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sibsie
I once arrested someone who's record showed a conviction from 1945. I wish I could remember the name of the act. It was something to do with looting bomb sites during WWII.
why does american immergration law say in one breath inadmisable then say if prison term was no longer than a year one can apply for visa after 5 years they really please there selves we let people like tyson in here who raped you let rock star's stay who wreck hotels i guess really it all boils down to the dollar
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:33 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patent Attorney
Do things like moving traffic violations or parking tickets stay indefinitely on file (in the UK) too?
No they never show up on anything.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:59 pm
WTF?

Originally posted by sibsie
No they never show up on anything.

True for the USA as well. I've had about 35,000 traffic and speeding tickets in my life. My criminal record is clean as a whistle though.

Leslie
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:00 am
WTF?

why does american immergration law say in one breath inadmisable then say if prison term was no longer than a year one can apply for visa after 5 years they really please there selves we let people like tyson in here who raped you let rock star's stay who wreck hotels i guess really it all boils down to the dollar

Good God man!! We're just sending Tyson over there hoping he won't come back.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:04 am
Mrraveltay

michael of elth wrote:
    > Originally posted by Leslie66
    >
    >
    >>Oh yeah!! The moral turpitude thingy. We forgot all about that.
    >>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > in uk there spent crimes but stay on file and cant be used to
    > discrimenate against me i have never been turned away from usa so far
    >

Did you report the offenses when entering under VWP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.