Are my children now citizens?

Old Feb 21st 2012, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

jukes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are my children now citizens?

Sounds stupid but we arrived in US a few days ago. As a US citizen who'd never lived in US I had to apply for the immigrant visa route for my children. I read on here previously that on entry to US they become citizens straight away. I asked the immigration officer at port of entry but he didn't know. Anyone know what happens next with regards to children?
Regarding my husband we were told his 'green' card would be sent to address given along with all relevant documents.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:38 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are my children now citizens?

Did you report their birth abroad to the US consulate?

I think it depends a bit on the circumstances of their birth and your own residency prior to birth. You might look here at Wikipedia's entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...tates_citizens
Old Feb 21st 2012, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jukes
I read on here previously that on entry to US they become citizens straight away.
Your children will automatically become US citizens - as a matter of law - if all 3 of the following requirements are met. The requirements can be met in any order:

1) they are under age 18
2) then enter (or are in) the US with immigrant visas
3) they are in the legal and physical custody of a US citizen parent

If all 3 are true, they are US citizens, and you should apply for US passports for them. They'll need proof of your status and proof of (1, 2, & 3) above.

Ian
Old Feb 21st 2012, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Did you report their birth abroad to the US consulate?
To what end? She wasn't able to pass citizenship to her children because she never lived in the US.

Ian
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 12:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

File N-600 for the kids for proof of their US citizenship. Don't know if you can obtain US Passports for them without verification from the USCIS that they are indeed US Citizens.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 1:13 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
File N-600 for the kids for proof of their US citizenship. Don't know if you can obtain US Passports for them without verification from the USCIS that they are indeed US Citizens.
The passport applications don't need a filed N-600.

However, it's a good move to file one.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:09 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that getting Certificate of Citizenship is a good idea. The Department of State can be very cautious about who it issues a passport to, and may very well request a Certificate of Citizenship. In fact, under the circumstances of these children, the appropriate primary evidence of US citizenship is a Certificate of Citizenship. Presenting secondary evidence may more difficult. Better to be prepared and not be asked than to be un-prepared and be asked.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The passport applications don't need a filed N-600.

However, it's a good move to file one.
Originally Posted by Rete

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Feb 22nd 2012 at 2:18 pm.