Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Multiple entries on Visa Waiver/looking for work while visiting the US?

Multiple entries on Visa Waiver/looking for work while visiting the US?

Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Pat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to all
Default Multiple entries on Visa Waiver/looking for work while visiting the US?

Is there a set number of times that you can enter the US on Visa Waiver? I was in Indiana for 12 days in June and want to return in September/October for an extended trip, possibly even 1 week in September then 90 days from mid-October. Would I have to apply for a visitors visa or would I just fill out an I-94 for each trip?

My long-term goal is to move to Indiana to live with my girlfriend and work as a graphic designer. I was going to start applying for jobs and approaching companies but after reading the article "Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA" I feel a bit disheartened about the whole process. I don't have a full degree, only an equivalent and only 8 years experience instead of the recommended 12. Is it really that difficult to get a job there applying from the UK? Will companies even consider me if it's going to cost them $5k and a whole lot of time in paperwork?

I was considering using the 90 days on Visa Waiver to approach companies and apply for jobs. Is that allowed and would it even make a difference that I was applying while in the US instead of in the UK?

Sorry for all the questions but I really don't know where to start with all of this. My girlfriend is staying in the UK at the moment on an extended vacation but has to return home to Indiana in mid-September and she wants me to go with her. I really want to do it but it all seems so complicated. Any help/advice greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiple entries on Visa Waiver/looking for work while visiting the US?

Hello!

Don't wanna sound like the voice of doom - but here's my experience. I started looking for H1b jobs a couple of years ago from the UK and never had any luck. I was qualified/certified, had the experience and I was applying for sponsoring jobs and in the entire time I was looking I had one call which turned out to be a time waster.

IMO you are the bottom of the pile for employers to get you over from the UK. They'd much rather have someone who lives down the road. I think you would stand greater chance getting a job in the UK where they'll send you on secondment to the US - but I'd say that's a long shot too.

When we got sick to death of the travel / using skype and missing each other like crazy my wife came over to the UK for a year - she had to go back once but I'd propsed to her by then so she was off to get her wedding dress! But UK will give 6 months on the tourist visa. We spent a hell of a lot of money while she was out of work though

Then we went the k1 visa way to go back to the US.

Best of luck - I think I know how ya feel Hope that's of help
Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiple entries on Visa Waiver/looking for work while visiting the US?

P.s. I went back no end of times through JFK on a Visa Waiver - I got a grilling once. I wouldn't fill your suitcase with resumes and suits if you are thinking of job hunting
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can use the VWP to search for jobs, but if you come over lots, you should bring proof that you don't intend to stay.

You've also missed out on the quota this year, so can't apply for an H1B till next April for an Oct start.

Also check out www.corroflot.com and if your portfolio doesn't crap on what you see there, you won't stand a chance, and also look at www.core77.com for jobs and info.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You Also check out www.corroflot.com
Hey Bob,

That link brought up a site with links to other sites...doesn't look like anything to do with jobs in USA though...is that the right link?

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hey Bob,

That link brought up a site with links to other sites...doesn't look like anything to do with jobs in USA though...is that the right link?

Rene
oops....typo, it's got one r in it....

www.coroflot.com but if he's a graphic designer, he would probably have seen it already...It's a portfolio and job hunting design type site..
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
oops....typo, it's got one r in it....

www.coroflot.com but if he's a graphic designer, he would probably have seen it already...It's a portfolio and job hunting design type site..
Ah, that one worked. Thanks.

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy_LongIsland
Hello!

IMO you are the bottom of the pile for employers to get you over from the UK. They'd much rather have someone who lives down the road. I think you would stand greater chance getting a job in the UK where they'll send you on secondment to the US - but I'd say that's a long shot too.
Not always; the job I'm in now I was up against four others who were already in the US (one USC, one Belgian and two Chinese all already on H1Bs) and they flew me all the way from Newcastle for an interview, offered me the job, spent money getting the visa and were even patient enough to wait from January to May for me to start, even the USC could have started work the next day. That said I work for a university so the H1B limit doesn't apply.

I'm not sure if the VWP lets you job-hunt (I did all the searching and applying on the internet anyway) but an interview is OK, so long as you're able to prove you will go home. I didn't mention it at the airport though.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Not always; the job I'm in now I was up against four others who were already in the US (one USC, one Belgian and two Chinese all already on H1Bs) and they flew me all the way from Newcastle for an interview, offered me the job, spent money getting the visa and were even patient enough to wait from January to May for me to start, even the USC could have started work the next day. That said I work for a university so the H1B limit doesn't apply.

I'm not sure if the VWP lets you job-hunt (I did all the searching and applying on the internet anyway) but an interview is OK, so long as you're able to prove you will go home. I didn't mention it at the airport though.

I think it is important to realise that academic H1b positions at universities are an entirely different ballgame and cannot be compared to commercial hiring.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think it is important to realise that academic H1b positions at universities are an entirely different ballgame and cannot be compared to commercial hiring.
Very true, although a university might have less money to splash around on hiring a person when compared to a corporate company. They may be more experienced at hiring foreigners (postdocs etc) than a company, and perhaps more supportive and sympathetic as a result.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

madeinengland is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

How did the whole marriage thing work out for you? Even though you were married were you both able to stay together? Me & my girlfriend are seriously in love & there seems to be no other choice but marriage to be together!

I'm in England right now & she's in the U.S & we're going out of our minds! lol. All we want to do is be together for as long & as much as possible until we can be permanently together.

I've heard things for & againts on the subject that once you get married you have to go back to your own country until certain paperwork is cleared etc. Is this the case or not?

Many Thanks

Originally Posted by Andy_LongIsland

When we got sick to death of the travel / using skype and missing each other like crazy my wife came over to the UK for a year - she had to go back once but I'd propsed to her by then so she was off to get her wedding dress! But UK will give 6 months on the tourist visa. We spent a hell of a lot of money while she was out of work though

Then we went the k1 visa way to go back to the US.

Best of luck - I think I know how ya feel Hope that's of help
Old Sep 8th 2006, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by madeinengland
How did the whole marriage thing work out for you? Even though you were married were you both able to stay together? Me & my girlfriend are seriously in love & there seems to be no other choice but marriage to be together!
He did a fiance K-1 visa, which allowed him to enter the USA with the purpose of marrying his fiancee within 90 days and remaining in the USA to get his green card.

I'm in England right now & she's in the U.S & we're going out of our minds! lol. All we want to do is be together for as long & as much as possible until we can be permanently together.
The only way to do that is to visit each other until one of you gets permission to move to and live in the other's country.

I've heard things for & againts on the subject that once you get married you have to go back to your own country until certain paperwork is cleared etc. Is this the case or not?
It's best to talk with an immigration lawyer on this topic. But in general, you are not supposed to come to the USA on a VWP or visitor visa, with the intent of getting married and remaining to adjust status. The way to do that is with the K-1 visa, like Andy did. You can come to the USA to get married, but then you have to return when the VWP or visitor visa time is up, and process the visa in your home country.

Rene
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by madeinengland
Hi,

Many Thanks
Exactly as Noorah101 said mate. Love being married and don't regret it for a minute. Also love living in NY, if you're sure you really want to be together go for it

If yer coming here then be prepared for a long wait to work etc. Mind you mine seems to have paid off now. It can be a bit of a long winded process but all the forms etc we did ourselves and got approved from everything. We used www.visajourney.com for that.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Andy_LongIsland; Sep 8th 2006 at 10:30 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 1:21 am
Just Joined

Pat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to allPat Noodle is a name known to all

Hi all, thanks for all the advice

I've been over in the US for sixty days now and we've decided we're going to get married. We went to see an immigration lawyer this week for a consultation and he says we should have no problems with our application.

I'll probably start another thread cause I still have a few more questions but just wanted to say thanks again for the help.

Ciao peeps!