Moving to the USA from UK help

Old Apr 26th 2018, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

CG94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the USA from UK help

Hi, first of all would just like to thank anyone who would be able to help or offer any advice.

Moving to America has always been a dream of mine, I have loved going on holiday there (I appreciate living there would be different from a 2 week holiday) as it seems like a totally different way of life.

Anyway, here’s my situation. I have recently turned 24 and start employment with Morgan Stanley in a couple of weeks time - in a fairly junior role.
I have savings in the region of £6,000 and earn an average income.
I have family in America in New Jersey and also San Diego, however we are not that close.

Would it be easier to move to the US and apply for jobs when there, or try and get a job beforehand then move? As I said previously I start new employment with Morgan Stanley soon and I am aware they have offices in America, so would it be possible to see how I get on for a year and see if it is possible for a transfer abroad.

What is the criteria to move? Do you need to get sponsored from a family member living there? Or have a minimum amount of savings? How much money would someone require to have to be able to move there?

Furthermore, I also have a girlfriend who is currently at university completing her masters, and she aims to become a teacher or a university lecturer in the future.

Any advice from someone who has been in a similar situation would be great.

Thanks for your help.
Conor
Old Apr 26th 2018, 2:00 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA from UK help

Wiki>USA>USA Immigration>Pulaski Simplified
Old Apr 26th 2018, 2:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CG94
Hi, first of all would just like to thank anyone who would be able to help or offer any advice.

Moving to America has always been a dream of mine, I have loved going on holiday there (I appreciate living there would be different from a 2 week holiday) as it seems like a totally different way of life.

Anyway, here’s my situation. I have recently turned 24 and start employment with Morgan Stanley in a couple of weeks time - in a fairly junior role.
I have savings in the region of £6,000 and earn an average income.
I have family in America in New Jersey and also San Diego, however we are not that close.

Would it be easier to move to the US and apply for jobs when there, or try and get a job beforehand then move? As I said previously I start new employment with Morgan Stanley soon and I am aware they have offices in America, so would it be possible to see how I get on for a year and see if it is possible for a transfer abroad.

What is the criteria to move? Do you need to get sponsored from a family member living there? Or have a minimum amount of savings? How much money would someone require to have to be able to move there?

Furthermore, I also have a girlfriend who is currently at university completing her masters, and she aims to become a teacher or a university lecturer in the future.

Any advice from someone who has been in a similar situation would be great.

Thanks for your help.
Conor
Welcome to BE. Have a read of this to get you started - Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

Family sponsorship is possible, but only if they're close family. Investment also possible (think $500k), work transfer is possible once you've got some skills that will be worth your company transferring and paying for your visa for.

But the link above will give you all the info on the visa routes, so have a read of that and then you can ask for more info about any that you think may work for you.

Best of luck.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 2:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Close family means mother, father, sibling. Savings are irrelevant unless you have more than 250K to invest in a business.

Have a read of Pulaski's way and you will see that it doesn't appear that other than a close relative and/or investment that you have any means at present to immigrate to the US.

However, you do have the potential to do in the future. You are starting work with Stanley Morgan. While it is a junior role it is a foot in the door, so to speak. Work hard, learn, learn, learn, network within the company and work your way up the ladder. On a higher rung of the ladder and some years under your belt with that company, you might be in the position to ask to be transferred to the US office under an L visa.

By that time either you will have married your present gf or have obtained a wife and they would be able to accompany you under a derivative L visa to live and work in the US as well.

You're young. It appears you have fairly good chance to do this if you are willing to work for it.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 2:33 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CG94

Would it be easier to move to the US and apply for jobs when there, or try and get a job beforehand then move?

You cannot move to the US without a visa, so the job is essential. However, the employer has to apply for your visa at a cost of a few thousand dollars, so what do you have to offer that a local person, available to work immediately, does not? As the other posters have stated, working your way up in your company, with the aim of eventually being in a position to be transferred to the US, is an excellent way to move towards your dream.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

CG94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, thank you all for your help and knowledge. I will take it all onboard and have a read at the links you have provided.
Looks like the best way for me then is to try and do well in my career and hope for a transfer in the future, that’ll give me motivation to do well.

Thanks again for your time and info, greatly appreciated.
Conor
Old Apr 26th 2018, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

gaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond reputegaviano has a reputation beyond repute

This has pretty much been my experience. I fell in love with America when I first visited back in 1992. I had a cousin who lived in NYC and after visiting him a few times, he decided to get me over to work for him. It didn't work out, and actually it ended up having an adverse effect on my job in Scotland as I became of the attitude that I would be leaving soon so why bother. Knowing what I know now, I understand why my cousin had problems making it happen.

Skip forward to 2012. I'd recently got a divorce, and met a woman while on holiday in Boston. We hit it off. I visited a few more times. We decided to give it a go. Luckily I was working with a company who had a presence in the US. Luckier still, they had a vacancy that was essentially the job I was doing. Luckier even still, they decided to take a punt on the guy from Scotland. And even luckier yet, as I didn't have a degree, I was doing a job that was unusual in terms of the number of people in the company who could do it and so I qualified in a round about way to apply for an L1B.

It took twenty years for the stars to align for me but it was worth the wait. Good luck to you!
Old Apr 26th 2018, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Many of us are here due to a US citizen spouse.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Gf_121 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im sure its been said before above but stick with Morgan Stanley, make your intentions clear to them and ask them how you can develop/shape your career to someday be able to transfer with the business.

If they value you as an employee they will be happy to put a 1/2/3/whatever year plan in place to support your development and ambitions... Don't think it will happen over night (I and im sure many others did), but stick at it and it will happen.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 7:20 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

You're in a better position than most in that you work for a company with USA offices. I also transfered to the USA through my company and the advice I can give you is that every year when you have your annual appraisal, make sure that you put it in writing that you would welcome a transfer to the USA. It may take a few years of asking, but you're early in your career and most people I know who moved to NY for work did so in their 30's.
Old May 2nd 2018, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the comments on the career front. Make it known you have a plan and that in order for your plan to work, you intend on being the best you can be for Morgan Stanley. The right attitude mixed with the right skills and knowledge can go a long way. The company will be well versed in moving people, so they will also be able to provide the right career guidance to the right prospects.