British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Moving to usa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/moving-usa-937176/)

Lydia_noon Feb 17th 2021 9:44 am

Moving to usa

Hi I’m Lydia I’m 21 from liverpool UK my dream is to move to America preferably California. I honestly have no clue how to go about this or how I go about being able to work I could really do with some help? Being honest I really just want to get away meet new people make new friends basically start a new life. Any advice people can give is appreciated. I understand I’m probably being really naive but it’s a dream!

civilservant Feb 17th 2021 11:12 am

Re: Moving to usa

The first place for you to look is here:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA

Have a read, and see if you fit into any of the categories. If not, Unfortunatly you are unlikely to be coming to the US as anything other than a visitor for the foreseeable future.

What is your highest level of education? You might have more luck if you think of this as a 10 year plan then wanting it to happen next week.

Come back with any questions!

Noorah101 Feb 17th 2021 11:16 am

Hi Lydia, welcome to BE.

Moving to the USA is not easy, especially at a young age. There is an article on here called Pulaski's Ways, it lists all the available visas. Find that, read it, and see if any apply to you.

First off, do you have a degree? What do you do for a living? If you work for a company that has offices in the USA, then you can work your way up to a position that could get you transferred.

What about studying in the USA? You could do a student visa if you have the funds to cover that.

If you do find a path, it's not going to happen overnight. Many people make this a 5+ year plan.

Rene

Lydia_noon Feb 17th 2021 11:33 am

Hey both

thanks for your reply’s!

I understand this won’t be in the near future for many reason but I do hope to be able to make the move in a few years.

I work for a law firm in the UK as a credit controller not sure if that’s something I could do in the US?

civilservant Feb 17th 2021 11:36 am

That sounds like something in a billing department at a law firm? I am not sure that that would qualify for a visa, since I doubt anyone would spend many thousands of $ in order to sponsor you I'm afraid.

Did you go to University? And if so what subject did you study?

Lydia_noon Feb 17th 2021 11:41 am

Ye that’s right it’s in a billing department.

no unfortunately I didn’t go to university

civilservant Feb 17th 2021 11:45 am

Did you look through the link I provided and do you see anything that applies to you? Would you have the funds to study in the US?

Lydia_noon Feb 17th 2021 12:11 pm

As I’m currently saving I could possibly study in the US it is something I would have to look into in further detail

civilservant Feb 17th 2021 12:15 pm

Studying in the US is something that can lead to good connections, which can sometimes lead to a work visa. This is not guaranteed though, and you would still have to compete against US Citizens and LPRs for jobs (and you would need sponsorship, putting you at a disadvantage)

The other way you could go is to go to University in the UK (cheaper than the US) and study a subject which both interests you and could lead to a job transfer to the US in the future. If STEM interests you, this is usually a good way to go.

Lydia_noon Feb 17th 2021 12:17 pm

Thank you for your advice it’s really appreciated :)

christmasoompa Feb 17th 2021 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lydia_noon (Post 12974415)
Being honest I really just want to get away meet new people make new friends basically start a new life.

Just as another option, if you are wiling to look at other countries rather than the US (which is notoriously difficult to move to), then have a look at countries with a Working Holiday Visa program. Places like Canada, NZ or Oz do them and that could work well for you. If North America is your goal then Canada could be a good option, it would get you a 2 year open work permit, no sponsorship involved. Obviously if you are only interested in the US then ignore that though, but just thought I'd chuck that idea in to the pot.

I agree with the others too, if the US is your aim then a degree would be a good idea, and would help with immigration to most countries anyway.

Best of luck to you.

Lydia_noon Feb 17th 2021 12:26 pm

That’s a great idea its also getting to see another part of the world I’ll definitely look into this thank you!

christmasoompa Feb 17th 2021 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lydia_noon (Post 12974470)
That’s a great idea its also getting to see another part of the world I’ll definitely look into this thank you!

No probs. Here's the official info on the Canadian program - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...anada/iec.html

Good luck.

Lydia_noon Feb 17th 2021 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12974472)
No probs. Here's the official info on the Canadian program - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...anada/iec.html

Good luck.

thank you :)

robtuck Feb 17th 2021 1:42 pm

If studying is an option, but you don't have the funds to cover the USA direct study route, there are Universities in the UK with partnerships in the USA which do transfers - my daughter meets quite a few at her College that come over for a year. In the short term, that would give you a way of 'testing out' the new Country. I believe most of these are closed right now due to Covid, but maybe next year as something in the near term while you find a route longer term.

On the longer approach, while Credit Control is unlikely to yield quick results, maybe look towards a company with a USA HQ, then spend a few years building your reputation in the company and into Management. I am sure plenty of large firms have a need for your type of role in the UK and the Management option gives you a possible longer term path to a Visa. No guarantee's, you have to be good at the job first :-)