Moving to US, Green card advice

Old Apr 7th 2020, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

LDPLDN81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to US, Green card advice

I’m from the UK and married to a US citizen, we have a 7 month daughter who holds dual citizenship. My wife and I have talked about moving to the US within the next few years but her work have mentioned that they might ask her to move back sooner and work from the office in New York. Unfortunately there is no date as to when this might happen so I’m a little stuck with what best course of action I should take.

I could apply for the green card but her work may drag this out which could mean missing the window to use it.

Anyone have any advice or been in a similar situation?
Old Apr 7th 2020, 4:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US, Green card advice

After your initial IR-1/CR-1 application has been submitted you can stall the process by not completing the "next step" for up to 12 months at each step of the process (before your application is deemed abandoned), though I wouldn't recommend waiting more than 10 months, just to cover possible hiccoughs in mail delivery, slow acknowledgment, etc.

After you have the visa you have six months from the date of the medical to enter the US, and even then you can turn around and come back for several month "to wrap up your affairs", so there are several ways to manage the timing of your arrival in the US once the process has started.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 7th 2020 at 4:16 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 10:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a note. You won't be applying for a green card, but rather an immigrant visa. Once you use that visa to enter the USA, then you become a US PR immediately. The endorsed visa is proof of that for 1 year. Your plastic green card comes in the mail.

Rene
Old Apr 8th 2020, 3:30 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
After your initial IR-1/CR-1 application has been submitted you can stall the process by not completing the "next step" for up to 12 months at each step of the process (before your application is deemed abandoned), though I wouldn't recommend waiting more than 10 months, just to cover possible hiccoughs in mail delivery, slow acknowledgment, etc.

After you have the visa you have six months from the date of the medical to enter the US, and even then you can turn around and come back for several month "to wrap up your affairs", so there are several ways to manage the timing of your arrival in the US once the process has started.
This. Or you accept that there is a possibility that there may be a period of separation whiile you get your visa in order.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 7:25 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, there is expedited eligibility and waiver of place of residence for naturalization of some non-citizen spouses of US citizens working abroad for US employers.