Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US, with a complication

Moving to the US, with a complication

Old Jun 23rd 2019, 1:44 am
Just Joined

TrainyUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to the US, with a complication

Before i Get to the main question Ill explain a small story.

So I have a friend who currently is in the US on a 3 month or so holiday, now after that holiday he will return to the UK and then return to the US
Now he already has the house as its a family property and his family intend to let him use it for his own plans. Now as part of these plans he invited me to move over to the US with 2 others, 1 of which already lives in the US anyway and the other one who lives in the UK.
We plan to become game live streamers, playing games and uploading content to youtube while also streaming these games live to viewers. Now after looking at the options, theres only 1 viable option. Immigrating for employment. Now as part of this, I have suggested we make a streaming organisation so that We can complete the I-140 form to say that I have employment when arrive
I know about the rest like fees, green card etc

Is this possible or is there anything im missing
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 2:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US, with a complication

Which visa?

Run your plan by an immigration attorney. I'm sure it's not as simple as you're thinking it is.

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 2:37 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrainyUK
Before i Get to the main question Ill explain a small story.

So I have a friend who currently is in the US on a 3 month or so holiday, now after that holiday he will return to the UK and then return to the US
Now he already has the house as its a family property and his family intend to let him use it for his own plans. Now as part of these plans he invited me to move over to the US with 2 others, 1 of which already lives in the US anyway and the other one who lives in the UK.
We plan to become game live streamers, playing games and uploading content to youtube while also streaming these games live to viewers. Now after looking at the options, theres only 1 viable option. Immigrating for employment. Now as part of this, I have suggested we make a streaming organisation so that We can complete the I-140 form to say that I have employment when arrive
I know about the rest like fees, green card etc

Is this possible or is there anything im missing

Why do you need to be in the US to work online? This is a non-starter.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 2:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There are big gaps in your understanding - for any sort of employment based visa you need an employer to sponsor you, and you cannot just form a corporation then use that corporation to sponsor you and as evidence of employment. It just doesn't work like that, not even close.

Depending on the visa type and corporate structure you might have to invest $50k-$250k, and/or it might take over a year to get the visa, and/or you might have to enter a lottery for one of a limited number of visas, and/or your corporation might have to prove that there aren't Americans who could do the job, and/or you will need to demonstrate a plan to grow the business and hire Americans as the business expands.

But mostly I am wondering why you can't play video games, stream them, and upload YouTube videos from the UK?

Assuming that you can find a visa type that works for your plans (which I am very sceptical about), you will need to investigate payroll/employer taxes, which are high compared to the UK (and in addition to your own social security contributions and income taxes), and the fact that you will have to pay for health insurance at a cost of around $500/mth/person, and would still have copays and deductibles (excesses) to pay on top of the insurance premiums if you need medical services.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 23rd 2019 at 2:53 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 10:14 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah this isn’t going to happen. Not ever as described.

Move on from this idea.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure what is meant by streaming organisation? Some sort of start up that would then be apple to petition employees?
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Literally no way this will land you an I-140. This kind of work does not qualify for EB-1. Without EB-1, you need a Labor cert. You need to understand the whole "Labor Certification" bit, also known as a PERM. That is one massive hurdle. Second, you will need to be sponsored in any kind of employment in these kind of categories, by an employer in the United States.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 6:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrainyUK
Now he already has the house as its a family property and his family intend to let him use it for his own plans.
As the others have said, this is a non-starter as you could do this job from anywhere, so there's no need for you to be in the US and you couldn't justify needing a visa. But you might want to warn your friend that if he's trying to live in the US without a visa allowing him to do so, he's likely to find himself being refused entry and having trouble entering in the future. Make sure he stays outside of the US for longer than his current trip before he attempts returning.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

'Three month or so'?

Your friend is already flouting the law if they are planning to stay one day longer than the 90 days allowed by ESTA.

As already stated, your 'business plan' as stated has two hopes - no hope and Bob Hope - and the latter is dead!

If you are considering 'bending the rules', then you risk up to a lifetime ban on even visiting the USA in the future, so if, one day, you become sensible, happily married with kids and want to visit the House of Mouse, you'll find yourself SoL.

Sorry to be so blunt, but them's the facts, Jack.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

Maybe the friend has a B2?
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Maybe the friend has a B2?
On another forum the OP says his friend has US nationality as well as UK
Old Jun 24th 2019, 12:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Which is consistent with post #1, third paragraph, above where one friend "already lives in the US".
Old Jun 24th 2019, 2:25 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which is consistent with post #1, third paragraph, above where one friend "already lives in the US".
Doesn’t he state that the originator of the scheme, who is currently on the three month visit, has invited three other people to participate—the OP and one other, plus a US resident?
Old Jun 24th 2019, 2:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Found it and yes not going to happen.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Doesn’t he state that the originator of the scheme, who is currently on the three month visit, has invited three other people to participate—the OP and one other, plus a US resident?
Yes. And?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.