Moving to the US:

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

T G Hayward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to the US:

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Your partner is a USC. It would be silly to make her family pay many thousands of dollars for your work visa (if you are indeed eligible for one), when you have the much more straightforward and nearly guaranteed path of a marriage based visa.

Rene
Hi Rene

Many thanks for your reply and, yes of course, I should've been more detailed. I have the money to pay for the sponsorship, so in theory would sponsor myself through them. It was just a hypothetical question to ascertain how likely/unlikely a work visa would be granted to work for them? I'm just concerned that I can't work until I get my adjustment of status with the marriage route.

Many thanks
Tom
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

T G Hayward is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rene

Sorry for multiple messages, only half of your message appeared.

They are a rapidly growing, highly-regarded wedding floral business. My background isn't in florals but a Journalist and a PR and media consultation officer. I would be overseeing all the marketing, communications, copy writing, website, social media etc. I have a First Class Hons Degree in Journalism, graduating top of my class. If we say hypothetically that they do have the money for sponsorship, how would you assess my chances?

I can't tell you how appreciative I am for your help.

Best
Tom
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by T G Hayward
Hi Rene

Many thanks for your reply and, yes of course, I should've been more detailed. I have the money to pay for the sponsorship, so in theory would sponsor myself through them. It was just a hypothetical question to ascertain how likely/unlikely a work visa would be granted to work for them? I'm just concerned that I can't work until I get my adjustment of status with the marriage route.

Many thanks
Tom
If you get married first and then do the CR-1 immigrant visa, you can work from Day 1 in the USA. No adjustment of status.

Rene
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 4:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene

They are a rapidly growing, highly-regarded wedding floral business. My background isn't in florals but a Journalist and a PR and media consultation officer. I would be overseeing all the marketing, communications, copy writing, website, social media etc. I have a First Class Hons Degree in Journalism, graduating top of my class. If we say hypothetically that they do have the money for sponsorship, how would you assess my chances?

Best
Tom
You didn't say whether the position requires a degree (but doesn't sound like it would, necessarily). And your degree in journalism doesn't really seen to match. If they were to successfully submit a petition on April 1, 2018, then what happens is that it probably goes to a lottery drawing, as the H-1B category is always oversubscribed.

Your chances don't seem good, in my layman's opinion...especially when you have a sure path through the marriage based visa. Why don't you want to pursue that route?

Rene
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene

Best
Tom

Assuming the job/you qualify for an H-1B (as that's the only work visa that seems applicable in this scenario), they cannot apply for this visa until April 2018, with a start date for any successful applicant of October 2018. You could most likely be here as a green card holder by that time if you went the marriage route. Not to mention the fact that the H-1B is an oversubscribed petition and there are always more applicants than the maximum prescribed by law. This typically results in successful candidates being picked in a lottery type process.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 6:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I'm just concerned that I can't work until I get my adjustment of status with the marriage route. ....
With "the marriage route" you can work as soon as you clear immigration, it is when using "the fiancé route" that might have a significant gap during which you cannot work, at least not legally.