Moving UK parents to the US

Old May 4th 2021, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving UK parents to the US

Originally Posted by Rete
Afternoon,
Really think about the pros and cons of this before even suggesting anything to them.
Rete - you raise some great points, thanks.
Old May 4th 2021, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
10 years
The US B1/B2 Tourist visa is valid for 10 years after issue. It means that after that time, you will need to renew your B1/B2 Visa if you want to visit the United States again. Apr 15, 2021
Thanks that's good to know.
Old May 5th 2021, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

B1 is for business, B2 for tourism. They are often issued as a combo.

Exactly what benefits they could get depends on which State they would be moving to and in many respects it helps if they are not well off, well as far as income is concerned.

I agree there is a big difference between visiting and living here and not sure 90 days or 6 months matter in the respect. And the cost of travel insurance increases significantly with age for obvious reasons, has been some years but got tto he point where this cost more than the air fare for a 3 week trip for my Mum.

Old May 5th 2021, 3:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
B1 is for business, B2 for tourism. They are often issued as a combo.

Exactly what benefits they could get depends on which State they would be moving to and in many respects it helps if they are not well off, well as far as income is concerned.

I agree there is a big difference between visiting and living here and not sure 90 days or 6 months matter in the respect. And the cost of travel insurance increases significantly with age for obvious reasons, has been some years but got tto he point where this cost more than the air fare for a 3 week trip for my Mum.
I disagree with that assertion. A vacation is a visit to an area of perhaps 2 to 4 weeks. Living in the same area for 4 to 12 weeks is living there. It is long enough to grow bored and restless. Especially if you are in your 70's and your family whom you are visiting work or full lives caring for children and home.
Old May 5th 2021, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just an observation: I have 2 lots of friends living in the UK. These couples (in their 60's and 70's) both have children and grandchildren living in the US.
They visit their children/grandchildren on the B1/B2 visa every year for a couple of months. (one couple comes for a month in summer and a month in winter)
Both say they would not move to the US for various reasons: financial, have decent living standards in the UK, love their current home, don't like hot muggy weather in summer (Florida), have friends and hobbies in the UK and one interesting one - neither want to become full time child minders !
Old May 5th 2021, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
I disagree with that assertion. A vacation is a visit to an area of perhaps 2 to 4 weeks. Living in the same area for 4 to 12 weeks is living there. It is long enough to grow bored and restless. Especially if you are in your 70's and your family whom you are visiting work or full lives caring for children and home.
I did 80 days once as a visitor and had no issue keeping myself busy but not in this age category.

And I remember thinking when I moved I pretty much know what I was letting myself in for, and was wrong.

I remember this sort of discussion with my Grandparents and that was within the UK, they did not move, OK you may not have a lot of close friends and family but there is a big sense of familiarity.

Bottom line I suppose is horse for courses, as long as they have a good idea as is reasonable about that they are letting themselves in for, an extended trip helps.

I doubt there is a perfect solution unless you can afford to have houses in both countries, sort of assuming most people can not.
Old May 9th 2021, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
And the cost of travel insurance increases significantly with age for obvious reasons, has been some years but got tto he point where this cost more than the air fare for a 3 week trip for my Mum.
Certainly well into her 80's, Lizzy's mum has had good rates from Saga.
Old May 9th 2021, 1:07 am
Account Closed

Amd for my Mother one year but not the next, changes.
Old May 10th 2021, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

navman is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in a similar boat, How long does it take for a Citizen to apply for Residency for Parents?

What about healthcare, how is one entitled to free healthcare in the US? Is it based on Social security payments ?
Old May 10th 2021, 5:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by navman
I am in a similar boat, How long does it take for a Citizen to apply for Residency for Parents?

What about healthcare, how is one entitled to free healthcare in the US? Is it based on Social security payments ?

There is no free healthcare in the US, unless one is totally indigent or a very low income earner.
Old May 10th 2021, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

12 to 24 months to sponsor a parent.

Healthcare depends by State and of course can change. California is very generous, other States not so much.
Old May 10th 2021, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by navman

Where do you get the idea that healthcare is free in the US? Even if you pay into Medicare all your life, when it comes to retirement age you still have to pay monthly premiums.
If you sponsor your parent and he/she is over 65 and so has never worked in the US they will pay for health insurance as an individual until such time as they become a permanent legal resident (5 years to get green card) and then have to pay for all parts of Medicare Part A, B, C etc) Currently Part A is around $400 a month, Part B 140 a month.....
Old May 11th 2021, 12:31 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

What about healthcare, how is one entitled to free healthcare in the US?
When one follows a winged swine to the end of the rainbow, upon which a genie will grant you three wishes.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Haribo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Relevant thread for me - hope it's ok to piggy-back with questions for my current situation.

I'm now a naturalized USC living stateside, and currently discussing with my dad who's by himself in the UK about the option of petitioning for him to move out here.

I've been searching the threads but couldn't find this information:
1) Assuming the I-130 application process is approved and the NVC process is kicked off, does anyone know if there is a time limit between I-130 approval and having to file docs/schedule consulate interview?
2) Also, assuming approval at the consulate, what is the window between approval and having to enter the USA?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old Jun 20th 2021, 6:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

1. One year
2. 6 months from the date of the medical exam, so in reality something like 4.5 - 5 months.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.