Moving from the UK to Orlando

Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the UK to Orlando

Originally Posted by The Moose
You don't need a SSN for anything here in Florida.

JerseyGirl - are you in Florida?! Saw this the other day

http://thumbsnap.com/s/tHzlxX2M.jpg
Originally Posted by Boiler
Jersey Girl parks her car upside down?
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Most Jerseyites do
Originally Posted by tom169
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamesw84
Hi all

New to all of this. I want to ask about myself and my partner who are looking to buy a house in Orlando. We run a internet business which gives us a liveable wage, but as our business is based online, we are not fixed by any location. We are not looking to become US citizens but would like to understand how we could live there and run our business? Our understanding is for many utilities you need a social security number, can this be gained without being a citizen or having a green card?

Thanks in advance.
You need to obtain a visa in order to run your business in the US before anything else ,,,, and you need to obtain the visa before you move.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Jamesw84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You'll need a visa that allows you to work in the US... because without employment permission, it would be illegal for you to run your internet-based business while you're in the US. So, utilities are the least of your problems just now.

Now, to get a visa, you'll need to demonstrate why you need one... and, quite frankly, you don't. You may want one - but that's not the same thing.

Ian
Hi Ian not sure I understand you when you say quite frankly, you don't????
Old Mar 5th 2017, 9:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There is no compelling need for you to live in the US.

I wouldn't have phrased it quite like Ian did, I would have said that the US issues visas to those who demonstrate why having them (the would-be visa holder) in the US would be economically beneficial for the US, and your description of your business, so far at least, makes it sound like a subsistence business, not one which will thrive and grow to employ US citizens. So there is no benefit to the US by issuing you with a visa, and subsistence businesses are explicitly prohibited as the basis for E-2 visas. You will take up a home take up road space, use scarce water and power resources without adding much to the income tax base and GDP.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm drawing a distinction between the words "want" and "need". They do not mean the same thing. You run an Internet-based business. Since you can run that business from anywhere in the world, there is no need for you to be in the US to run that business. The only reason to be in the US, therefore, is because you want to. There is no actual need. If there is no actual need to be in the US, then there is no need for you to get a visa. To get a US visa, you must demonstrate why you need one.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Mar 5th 2017 at 11:02 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Originally Posted by sherbert
...what about property rental? First thing any landlord does is a credit check and without a SSN you do not exist in the system. But we digress.
We don't digress!

What about property rental indeed? Totally irrelevant to the original question!

I want to ask about myself and my partner who are looking to buy a house in Orlando.