Moving from the UK to Orlando

Old Mar 5th 2017, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Jamesw84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from the UK to Orlando

Hi all

New to all of this. I want to ask about myself and my partner who are looking to buy a house in Orlando. We run a internet business which gives us a liveable wage, but as our business is based online, we are not fixed by any location. We are not looking to become US citizens but would like to understand how we could live there and run our business? Our understanding is for many utilities you need a social security number, can this be gained without being a citizen or having a green card?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Cami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond reputeCami123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the UK to Orlando

There are loads of very experienced and knowledgeable people on here - I am not one of them, so I will let them walk you through the visa situation.

But I did just apply for my social security number on Friday and they ask for your visa, your passport and your entry documentation. So yes, you can get one without a green card or citizenship.

One thing to remember when thinking about moving over is the fact that even if you get a visa sorted etc... you will need private health insurance. If you guys are self employed you will need to buy health insurance and that is not a small amount. Check what the options are in Florida before you get too attached to this plan. My father rejected a very good job offer when I was a child in the US because the health insurance for him and 4 dependants was just not doable!
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume Orlando was chosen for personal reasons rather than any kind of business sense.

I'll let someone with more experience answer the visa question, but as for an SSN, not all visas (or lack there of) will allow you to get one.

For example you cant just enter on the VWP and get one.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamesw84
Hi all

New to all of this. I want to ask about myself and my partner who are looking to buy a house in Orlando. We run a internet business which gives us a liveable wage, but as our business is based online, we are not fixed by any location. We are not looking to become US citizens but would like to understand how we could live there and run our business? Our understanding is for many utilities you need a social security number, can this be gained without being a citizen or having a green card?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to BE.

Utilities and a SS number are the least of your problems. Firstly the US is one of the most difficult countries on the planet to move to. If an internet biz provided an easy path to a US visa...everyone and his dog would move there.

Take a look at the following. If you fit into one of the categories you may have a chance of moving to the US.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

Also use the search engine...advance search all the US forums for threads about internet business. There have been many. Good luck.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

You don't need a SSN for anything here in Florida.

JerseyGirl - are you in Florida?! Saw this the other day

Old Mar 5th 2017, 5:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Moose
You don't need a SSN for anything here in Florida. ....
You still need a visa though, and business/self employment type visas mostly hinge on (i) invested capital (typically $200k+) and/or (usually "and") (ii) providing jobs to US citizens and legal permanent residents. ..... You cannot get a visa to just relocate your internet business to Orlando.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

The Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really niceThe Moose is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You still need a visa though, and business/self employment type visas mostly hinge on (i) invested capital (typically $200k+) and/or (usually "and") (ii) providing jobs to US citizens and legal permanent residents. ..... You cannot get a visa to just relocate your internet business to Orlando.
I'm well aware and didn't suggest to the contrary!

I would say your invested capital figure is about double the minimum although as it's just a "substantial" investment we have no idea on the number.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 6:03 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

The OP's business can't be just a subsistence endeavor for him and his girlfriend in order to qualify for a visa like an E-2. And unless they are married, they will each need to qualify for a visa independently.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 6:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm well aware and didn't suggest to the contrary! ......
Well you didn't mention visas at all, and getting a SSN is moot unless you have approval from the federal government by way of a visa, to live and work in the US. For non-US citizens the two go hand in hand - you get a visa, then getting an SSN is automatic upon application (some visas, notably the H-4 trailing spouse and children, and L-2 (
for dependant children, come with no right to an SSN).

BTW do utility companies allow you to connect for water, electricity, and natural gas without a SSN? I am used to it being the third question, after the address you want connected and your name.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 5th 2017 at 6:09 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well you didn't mention visas at all, and getting a SSN is moot unless you have approval from the federal government by way of a visa, to live and work in the US.

BTW do utility companies allow you to connect for water, electricity, and natural gas without a SSN? I am used to it being the third question, after the address you want connected and your name.
The usual visa issues had already been raised however the SSN part of the OPs message had been answered directly contradicting my personal experience.

I have signed up for water and electric (no gas in the area) as well as xfinity without giving out my SSN. I have to give a small deposit for electric and nothing for anything else (had no credit at the time so SSN wouldn't have revealed anything if they had credit checked me).

Not only that but my family own plenty of property in the area with none of them have SSNs and are connected no problem.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

The usual visa issues had already been raised however the SSN part of the OPs message had been answered directly contradicting my personal experience.

I have signed up for water and electric (no gas in the area) as well as xfinity without giving out my SSN. I have to give a small deposit for electric and nothing for anything else (had no credit at the time so SSN wouldn't have revealed anything if they had credit checked me).

Not only that but my family own plenty of property in the area with none of them have SSNs and are connected no problem.
...what about property rental? First thing any landlord does is a credit check and without a SSN you do not exist in the system. But we digress. The usual suspects will come along shortly with their copy/paste answers about how moving to Florida is not as easy as Eastenders, 'Chelle, makes it look.

But in a nutshell: to get into the US to live and work you will need someone to sponsor your visa, self-petition if you have an amazing skill and you are top of your field in a few specific areas, or you will need to 'buy your way in' with an investment visa. If you have several hundred thousand pounds to chuck in then, the latter is probably the most realistic option.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamesw84
... but would like to understand how we could live there and run our business?
You'll need a visa that allows you to work in the US... because without employment permission, it would be illegal for you to run your internet-based business while you're in the US. So, utilities are the least of your problems just now.

Now, to get a visa, you'll need to demonstrate why you need one... and, quite frankly, you don't. You may want one - but that's not the same thing.

Ian
Old Mar 5th 2017, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't need a SSN for anything here in Florida.

JerseyGirl - are you in Florida?! Saw this the other day

http://thumbsnap.com/s/tHzlxX2M.jpg
Jersey Girl parks her car upside down?
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Jersey Girl parks her car upside down?
Most Jerseyites do
Old Mar 5th 2017, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Most Jerseyites do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.