Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Apply for ESTA if you have a Visa?

Apply for ESTA if you have a Visa?

Old Oct 7th 2017, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Limey187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Apply for ESTA if you have a Visa?

As i knew i would get denied an ESTA due to criminal convictions, i just went straight for the Visa which i now have.

When i now book holidays to America, do i need to apply and get denied for my ESTA to 'be on the system', or can i just ignore the ESTA stuff and get on the plane with my VISA?
Old Oct 7th 2017, 3:57 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for ESTA if you have a Visa?

Originally Posted by Limey187
As i knew i would get denied an ESTA due to criminal convictions, i just went straight for the Visa which i now have.

When i now book holidays to America, do i need to apply and get denied for my ESTA to 'be on the system', or can i just ignore the ESTA stuff and get on the plane with my VISA?
Just get on the plane with your visa, and your VISA card if you are likely to be spending money there, (VISA is a reg trade mark of the credit card company, visa is the travel document)
Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Just get on the plane with your visa, and your VISA card if you are likely to be spending money there, (VISA is a reg trade mark of the credit card company, visa is the travel document)

And give your self plenty of time if you're connecting flights. Be prepared to be sent to secondary.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You have already got all the advice you need, but just to round out the information, an ESTA is specifically for those people who are eligible to travel without a visa, so if you already have a visa then applying for an ESTA is wholly unnecessary. Worse, USCIS might wonder what you're doing, and while I doubt I would create a problem, the only possible outcome I could see would be that it is more likely that you'll be sent to secondary because of an unnecessary application for an ESTA.

FWIW I don't think that in most cases it is typical for those with a B-2 visa held because of a criminal conviction, which makes them ineligible for an ESTA, to be sent to secondary. There would have to be some additional factor, so perhaps the first time you use the visa.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Expect to not to be able to check-in online and to have to show your visa at check-in and boarding.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
FWIW I don't think that in most cases it is typical for those with a B-2 visa held because of a criminal conviction, which makes them ineligible for an ESTA, to be sent to secondary. There would have to be some additional factor, so perhaps the first time you use the visa.
My own experiences, and the anecdotal evidence of other people in similar positions on this forum, suggests that a trip to secondary is the norm for people with any kind of waiver of ineligibility.

Originally Posted by rpjs
Expect to not to be able to check-in online and to have to show your visa at check-in and boarding.

This is great advice. While ESTA's can be checked and verified electronically, any kind of visa has to be physically inspected by staff at the airport.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

sevorg is an unknown quantity at this point

I would confirm that a secondary visit is quite normal, five trips, each time to secondary.No problems at secondary and nothing to be afraid of.Yes you cannot check in online or even print boarding pass at the airport kiosk.BA say (for the past few years) that they are working on this issue.