Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Moving with retired parent to US advice.

Moving with retired parent to US advice.

Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Becca89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving with retired parent to US advice.

Hi guys. I've been married to my husband for 6 years now, who is a US citizen, all those 6 years we have lived in the UK.

Although we've spent thousands of pounds trying to get him to stay in the UK were debating whether or not to move back to the States. There's nothing for us here apart from my mother who is retired.

Is it a possible goal that we would be able to move to the states and bring my mother along. She owns her own home here in the UK which is worth around $250,000 so she'd have that money and also she'd have her pension to fall back on.

Obviously I don't want to move if I had to leave her behind. My husband has hated it here in the UK since the day he arrived.

can anyone shed any light on what would be the path to follow for us to be able to move state side.

Thanks.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with retired parent to US advice.

The most obvious path is that you and your husband set about getting a spousal visa for you so that you can move to the US with him and become a US permanent resident. Getting the visa will probably take 8 to 10 months. Once you have the visa, you and your husband move to the US and you become a US permanent resident. After 3 years as a permanent resident you can apply to become a US citizen (which will probably take 4 to 6 months) Once you are a US citizen (sometime between 4 and 5 years from now - assuming that you start the process immediately) you can apply for an immediate relative visa for your mother and, once she gets that (probably another 6 months or so) she can move to the US.

You should very seriously consider the likely cost of health insurance and out of pocket health care expenses for your mother before embarking on what could be a financially ruinous course of action.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way for all 3 of you to move permanently to the USA all at the same time.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys. I guess our option is to remain in the UK. As my mother is old I don't want to take time away from her that we could be spending together.

Thanks for your time.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:20 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Get your husband his UK citizenship whilst you wait out your Mum. Harsh, but Mum will not realistically be heading stateside with you. Hubby will hopefully stick it out for you (so to speak).

eta. I am a naturalized USC and my UK dad (75), even if he wanted to move here it would be entirely impractical in terms of time, cost, benefit.

Last edited by RICH; Nov 18th 2016 at 2:34 am.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 2:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RICH
Get your husband his UK citizenship whilst you wait out your Mum. Harsh, but Mum will not realistically be heading stateside with you. Hubby will hopefully stick it out for you (so to speak).
Yeah he will stick it out, it's not harsh it's realistic. Everything happens for a reason. We shall wait
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

But do make sure to try get your husband UK citizenship if he isn't already. It's getting tougher to bring family into the UK in the future. There are really no downsides to getting the citizenship as there are no worldwide tax issues for example.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

And the good thing for you is that as you have been married for more than 2 years, your green card won't have any conditions
Old Nov 19th 2016, 7:20 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Getting the visa will probably take 8 to 10 months.
Probably much quicker for the OP as she would qualify for DCF, which is currently 3 to 4 months.

That shaves a little bit of time off but it's still going to take over 4 years to get her mother there so not much of a time saving in the grand scheme of things.
Old Nov 19th 2016, 1:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the OP is nearing retirement age herself, her mother might only be in her 60's herself. I know the OP said her mother is OLD but define old. Waiting the four years isn't all that long and perhaps Mum would like having the opportunity to live without obligations of family for a few years. She can always come to the US for visits up to 85 days at a time twice a year until her daughter becomes a US Citizen. She can travel throughout Europe with friends or if adventurous, on her own. Then again, if Mum is ill and can't be left on her own, then moving to the US is the worse thing for her anyway since healthcare costs will be so expensive.

I'm just wanting to point out that retired people do and can have wonderfully fulfilling lives and if healthy, can enjoy travel, social occasions and new adventures.

I know, one size does not fit all.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 19th 2016 at 1:47 pm.