British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Moving my Business to USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/moving-my-business-usa-919440/)

DaniT Nov 20th 2018 2:47 pm

Re: Moving my Business to USA

Yes all of the above taken on board and is exactly why i posted these questions and appreciate all the responses and ideas thrown in...Canada isnt really an option as you said because of my sons needs. A lottery win i think is needed :thumbsup:

Rete Nov 20th 2018 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by DaniT (Post 12596427)
Yes all of the above taken on board and is exactly why i posted these questions and appreciate all the responses and ideas thrown in...Canada isnt really an option as you said because of my sons needs. A lottery win i think is needed :thumbsup:

I'm afraid that might not even be successful if you were to win a place via the lottery. You still would need to show that your son would not be a drain on the US and with his medical problem that might not be possible.

civilservant Nov 20th 2018 3:21 pm

I think she means the National Lottery, and winning $500k to buy an EB-5. UK Citizens are not eligible for the Green Card Lottery as you know :D

Rete Nov 20th 2018 3:33 pm

:rofl: Of course, this being an immigration thread my first thought of immigration lottery. Duh!

TheAwesomeMatt Nov 20th 2018 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12596390)
I thought exactly the same thing to start with, if the OP loves Maine then Canada could work. Unfortunately, although the OP's and her husband's jobs are much more likely to lead to a visa for Canada, I think their son's medical issues may mean it's not possible. Definitely worth looking in to though, but Canada is much more draconian than the US when it comes to medicals and a child with special needs often means the whole family is unable to get a visa.

I was under the impression that a lot of the medical inadmissiblity issues for dependents were relaxed last year, is this not true?

Rete Nov 20th 2018 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt (Post 12596513)
I was under the impression that a lot of the medical inadmissiblity issues for dependents were relaxed last year, is this not true?

To the OP ... please note that question is pertaining to Canadian immigration and not US immigration so don't get your hopes up.

christmasoompa Nov 20th 2018 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt (Post 12596513)

It wasn't 'relaxed' as such, just that the threshold was increased and certain social services no longer included in the cost, but unfortunately I don't think would be enough to make a difference for the OP.

Nutmegger Nov 20th 2018 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by DaniT (Post 12596372)
Oh wow..massive thanks for all that have written a response..i have looked and there is the american foot health nurses which is my qualification and i would need to sit an exam to then qualify with that trade...So much to try and process. I have contacted the williams syndrome organisation in America to ask what is available as in help with disabilities etc. Like you said with tch companies in Maine there isnt really any and He works for local government so not transferable....Boo this looks incredibly tough ..which it really should be our laws should be this tough too..Its just rubbish that a family of 4 with two hard working parents that want to work and contribute to society and add to the community they want to live it in and its so difficult...i will read read and re read to see if there is any other possible way..Thanks again

Have you actually visited Maine? Especially in winter? Life there may be a little different from your vision of it.

Dorothy Nov 20th 2018 9:50 pm

.Boo this looks incredibly tough ..which it really should be our laws should be this tough too..Its just rubbish that a family of 4 with two hard working parents that want to work and contribute to society and add to the community they want to live it in

Have you ever looked into what it takes to immigrate to the UK for a skilled worker? Maybe give that a try before jumping to false conclusions. It's not easy at all.

Duncan Roberts Nov 20th 2018 11:06 pm

Its just rubbish that a family of 4 with two hard working parents that want to work and contribute to society and add to the community they want to live it in and its so difficult

It doesn't really sound like you have any plans that would contribute to society and add to the community. The business idea you have won't add anything, it doesn't even sound particularly viable as a business let alone one that would add anything to the community it's in. While there are independent healthcare providers, what you want to do is so niche that unless you are part of a local healtchare system to get referrals, recognition and tap into the systems and contracts they have, there isn't a whole lot of business you would expect to get. Add in the massive cost of just getting set up, contracting with insurance to accept the enough health insurance plans, computer systems to support various requirements and generally navigating the healthcare landscape here, it sounds doomed from the start. It's not impossible, but the likely outcome is that you would run out of money very quickly and end up defaulting on things like tax, rent, utilities, etc and actually drain money and resources from the community. It might sound harsh, but it seems like the reasons you have for wanting to move are entirely personal and you are doing it simply because you want to live in the US.

scrubbedexpat099 Nov 20th 2018 11:10 pm

I thought might be something like this https://www.goodfeet.com/ which is why I asked about employees.

DaniT Nov 21st 2018 6:24 am

Again thanks again for the replies..All points are very useful and even though some were put rather harshly i have incredibly think skin and i really truly and honestly wasnt slating anyone with my comments. I think as i have said i just wanted everyones input before making such a huge move that may well be doomed before it started and your comments and views have helped make me realise that it really just isnt viable unless i re train doing something that would benefit the US. I asked all these questions for all possible hurdles to be flagged up..So again i truly hope i havent offended anyone on my thread and if i have i apologise but also for all the comments im very thankful. You never know you may see me back on a different thread. Thanks again xx