Moving my Business to USA

Old Nov 20th 2018, 8:49 am
Just Joined

DaniT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving my Business to USA

Morning Everyone

My qualification is Foot Health Practitioner, i then have a further diploma in cryotherapy and all needed first aid training. I work out in the community with elderly and disabled clients providing foot care assistance. I also have a clinic where i offer the same treatments and cryotherapy. I have been practicing for 10 years and run a successful business. Im looking to move the the USA (Maine in particular) and i was wondering would owning and running your own business and wanting to move it to the USA be something i can do? Or apply for what VIsa? my husband is also looking for a job he works in IT (i really should find out what his qualifications are, but I'm not asking about him here)...I've read so many threads but cant seem to find one that nearly matches my circumstances. Any brutal help and advice is hugely welcomed.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 8:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving my Business to USA

The obvious visa that springs to mind is the E2, but just bear in mind that there's no direct route to a green path from that, so depends on if you want to go permanently or are happy on temp status. This wiki article outlines all of the possible visa routes so would be worth a read, if you think the E2 may fit then you can search the forum to find relevant threads. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

HTH, best of luck.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 9:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

E2 also came to mind, how many people are you likely to employ?
Old Nov 20th 2018, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
E2 also came to mind, how many people are you likely to employ?
I'm on my own but when i become full capacity i could look to take people on as it grows.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 10:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

When you said Business I thought you had employees etc.

Assuming you are self employed and just looking for a way to move to the US that leaves family sponsorship and investment - EB5, basically buy a Green Card.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

If your husband is in IT it might be better for him to look into getting a visa although I'm really not sure how much of a tech industry there is in Maine. For you to be able to work on a spousal visa though, he'd need to be transferred with his current company on an L visa if indeed his company has offices in the US and are willing to do such a transfer.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 11:14 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately no US Visas are going to be suitable for a 'one man band' type of business. Subsistence is specifically excluded. You have to hire US employees.

I agree with the above, your best bet is the $500k investment for an EB-5 visa if possible since you apparently don't have any US based family that you mentioned.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you investigated how transferrable your qualifications are and the state licencing requirements in Maine?
Old Nov 20th 2018, 11:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Have you investigated how transferrable your qualifications are and the state licencing requirements in Maine?
And just to add to this, I've just seen from your thread in the Welcome Inn that you have a child with special needs/health issues. I would also suggest you research health insurance and the likely cost of that as a self-employed person in the US.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 1:19 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaniT
Morning Everyone

My qualification is Foot Health Practitioner, i then have a further diploma in cryotherapy and all needed first aid training. .
Do you just have diplomas or also a college degree/s? Have you checked if you will have to become re-accredited in the US? Diplomas will not help you find any kind of sponsorship for a job in the US, so as others have said, that leaves investment as your only option.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Oh wow..massive thanks for all that have written a response..i have looked and there is the american foot health nurses which is my qualification and i would need to sit an exam to then qualify with that trade...So much to try and process. I have contacted the williams syndrome organisation in America to ask what is available as in help with disabilities etc. Like you said with tch companies in Maine there isnt really any and He works for local government so not transferable....Boo this looks incredibly tough ..which it really should be our laws should be this tough too..Its just rubbish that a family of 4 with two hard working parents that want to work and contribute to society and add to the community they want to live it in and its so difficult...i will read read and re read to see if there is any other possible way..Thanks again
Old Nov 20th 2018, 1:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you like Maine, then why not try Canada instead of the US. The weather on the border is much the same plus Canada is more open to family immigration and have the point system which you and your husband might qualify for.

Why look at the Canadian forum here on BE and ask about emigrating there as a family with your and your hubby's qualification.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 1:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Rete
If you like Maine, then why not try Canada instead of the US. The weather on the border is much the same plus Canada is more open to family immigration and have the point system which you and your husband might qualify for.

Why look at the Canadian forum here on BE and ask about emigrating there as a family with your and your hubby's qualification.
I thought exactly the same thing to start with, if the OP loves Maine then Canada could work. Unfortunately, although the OP's and her husband's jobs are much more likely to lead to a visa for Canada, I think their son's medical issues may mean it's not possible. Definitely worth looking in to though, but Canada is much more draconian than the US when it comes to medicals and a child with special needs often means the whole family is unable to get a visa.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 20th 2018 at 2:04 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 2:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by DaniT
Boo this looks incredibly tough ..which it really should be our laws should be this tough too..
It is - just as tough for an American going the other way. If you're not happy with where you live in the UK, have you considered a move elsewhere within the country? Would be a lot less hassle and save you tens of thousands of pounds too! Another option to look in to maybe?

Best of luck to you.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 2:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

which it really should be our laws should be this tough too
They are. As a UK Citizen you likely have no idea how hard it is for non-EU nationals to get visas to live and work in the UK.

Its just rubbish that a family of 4 with two hard working parents that want to work and contribute to society and add to the community they want to live it in and its so difficult
US Immigration policy is based on what is beneficial for the country as a whole - the 2 main routes are employment (which is needs based) or family reunification. Unfortunately they are not in desperate need of your or your husbands skillsets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.